Warsop Web Community Forum

Warsop Web Homepage | Contact Us

RSS Feed

Goodbye from the Community News

Discuss anything about Warsop. For users to participate in all discussions relating to the Parish of Warsop that are not related to any of the specific categories below.
Forum rules
Please READ: Forum Rules & Regulations

Goodbye from the Community News

Postby Westmorland » Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:48 pm

Dear All

After eight and a half years I have decided to call it a day as Community Correspondent for the Chad newspaper.

Looking back since I started in February 2005 I have been privileged enough to cover many varied and interesting events as well as my regular community news column. These have included writing about Warsops. Victoria Cross, medal hero, the yearly Carnival and Christmas Market reports, Remembrance Sunday and Arts reviews for the Warsop Market Players as well as the Mansfield Operatic Society, Meden School and Cuckneys Potty Players.

I was extremely proud to be able to review all four books published over the last few years by my friend acclaimed author, Gareth Thompson who I was at school with and who now resides in Cumbria. More recently I researched my own family history which I wrote about in the Chad.

I have met many interesting people over the last eight and half years, especially when I was able to do Golden and Diamond Wedding reports as well as 90th birthday reports as well as reporting about a 5 generation family in Warsop.

Many of you have contacted me over the years for photographers to cover your events and I am pleased to say that at least 90 percent of these requests were covered, once again giving our community the publicity is deserves

I have passed many news stories that have happened in the wider community onto the newsdesk to be reported on, sadly many of these events were of a sad or tragic nature, however one happy event which does stick in my mind was when a woman had gave birth in Asda at Forest Town, this was a very happy event and made the Chad front page as well as being passed onto a number of national newspapers

I still waiting to here from Tracy Powell the Editor as to when my last week will be with the Chad, but will let you all know as to who you will need to contact in the future.

Kind Regards

Adrian Hardy .
Westmorland
Lifetime Registered User

Re: Goodbye from the Community News

Postby Caz » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:25 pm

Well done Adrian! It sounds like it's been an interesting time for you and something you will no doubt miss, but I'm sure there are lots of other things waiting for you out there. ;)
Mrs Warsop Web, Warsop born and bred!
http://www.warsopweb.co.uk
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby BigAl » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:08 pm

I have passed many news stories that have happened in the wider community onto the newsdesk to be reported on, sadly many of these events were of a sad or tragic nature, however one happy event which does stick in my mind was when a woman had gave birth in Asda at Forest Town, this was a very happy event and made the Chad front page as well as being passed onto a number of national newspapers

I remember it well :D :D as it was Heidi that delivered the baby, she happened to be the first aider on shift at the time.
Screw the padded room, give me a trampoline floor with bubble wrapped walls and a velcro ceiling.
BigAl
Lifetime Registered User

Location: Where the road takes me now i have stopped fighting my inner feelings, we are on the same side now,

Postby Westmorland » Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:32 pm

Caz wrote:Well done Adrian! It sounds like it's been an interesting time for you and something you will no doubt miss, but I'm sure there are lots of other things waiting for you out there. ;)

When I first started there were 15 community correspondents, due to cutbacks there are now just 7 these being Warsop, Woodhouse, Bilsthorpe, Shirebrook, Blidworth& Rainworth, Kirkby and Sutton

I found it interesting and rewarding but they stopped us doing alot of reports such as Diamond and Golden weddings, 90th birthdays that we used to do and reduced the amount we got paid.

If they do replace me, then someone will need to be able to do all I did for just £155 a month I think when I first stared I was getting around £300 a month, but as i say they have cutback on alot of things due to the recession which has hit many local newspapers around the country very hard.
Westmorland
Lifetime Registered User

Postby Wizard » Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:36 pm

The Chad is losing readers every month, and wil be lucky to survive for another year.
Everyone I know who reads it says they do so because they have had it "for years", so it is more of a habit than a necessity.
There are more spelling mistakes in it than there are in a primary school childs writing book.
Most of the pages have adverts covering between a third and half of the page.
The photo's that are printed are larger than they used to be, thereby taking more space up.
In actual fact, there is hardly any news in it at all.
I always say that when a company wants paying up front for an item, then it is a sure sign that they are running short of money, and when I read that the Chad was asking readers to pay up front for a subscription it made me wonder if they were struggling too.
Wizard
Super Registered User

Postby tightwadswife » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:46 pm

My mother is amongst those who still get the CHAD 'because they've been having it for years'. Old habits die hard.
I bring it home with me when she's done with it for old TW to read. I wouldn't pay that price for it and I never read it myself.
I don't like the layout or the content - too much advertising.
I wouldn't miss it if it went out of business...
tightwadswife
Lifetime Registered User

Postby ELMER FUDD » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:22 pm

Good for you Wizard, spelling mistakes, grammar, punctuation, one would think it was put together by semi-illiterates. The lay-out seems to have been dreamed up by someone in the depths of a nightmare and the price is exorbitant. It's mostly the old stock who stick to it now and when they pass away so will the Chad
A pity really, at one time it was full of interest but that has all vanished. Makes one wonder why anybody pays good money to read adverts but, as Barnum used to say to me: "There's one born every minute".
ELMER FUDD
Lite Registered User

Postby BigAl » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:07 am

I thought the one i looked at last month while at home was totally put together by semi-illiterates as you say Elmer. Some of the stuff in it was a month old at least and the ads certainly took over the paper.
As you say the chad has had its day. There is better reporting and news in the Warsop news paper and the "spellung and grammer aint bad either" :D :D .

Then again it is mostly available to read online anyway. :)
Screw the padded room, give me a trampoline floor with bubble wrapped walls and a velcro ceiling.
BigAl
Lifetime Registered User

Location: Where the road takes me now i have stopped fighting my inner feelings, we are on the same side now,

Return to Warsop Chatter