Warsop Web Community Forum

Warsop Web Homepage | Contact Us

RSS Feed

Food Banks

Discuss anything about Warsop. For users to participate in all discussions relating to the Parish of Warsop that are not related to any of the specific categories below.
Forum rules
Please READ: Forum Rules & Regulations

Re: Food Banks

Postby tightwadswife » Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:29 am

There are some very good points made on here and I agree with most of them.
The unfortunate fact is that the hidden poor mentioned by Adrian are not the people who will take up the opportunity to grab free groceries. Although the foodbank will work on a referral basis, those who know how to work the system are the ones more likely to claim this extra help. The agencies responsible for handing out the vouchers are probably hard pressed and just as easily duped as the well intentioned charity workers, and for that reason I would still doubt the authenticity of many of the people benefiting from this scheme.
Lessons in home economics and prioritising spending would help, but there is a certain sector in society who wouldn't want that type of help. They manage very nicely on hand outs thank you very much. Why should they bother? There are plenty living in my neighbourhood who seem to manage very nicely. The rent and council tax are paid for them. They have a 52" TV, a 4G mobile phone and can afford to run a car. I'm sure they'd also very happily exploit the generosity of this charity.
I also agree very strongly with Elmer that politics has jumped in on this particular band wagon.
tightwadswife
Lifetime Registered User

Postby Warsop Person » Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:08 pm

Poverty is a bit of an unquantifiable statement, what is the calculation or criteria behind this measurement behind this label?

I still believe that the choices individuals make is the key to all this. Prevention is always better than cure and to me a giving out free food is a cure.
Warsop Person
Lifetime Registered User

Postby BigAl » Sun May 05, 2013 9:04 am

Looks like thw food banks are going to be more in need

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-22417334
Screw the padded room, give me a trampoline floor with bubble wrapped walls and a velcro ceiling.
BigAl
Lifetime Registered User

Location: Where the road takes me now i have stopped fighting my inner feelings, we are on the same side now,

Previous

Return to Warsop Chatter