Warsop Web Community Forum

Warsop Web Homepage | Contact Us

RSS Feed

TESCO

Discuss anything about Warsop. For users to participate in all discussions relating to the Parish of Warsop that are not related to any of the specific categories below.
Forum rules
Please READ: Forum Rules & Regulations

Re: TESCO

Postby Warsop Person » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:58 pm

I don't think anyone will every get the truth from TESCO, I was told directly by the people selling the site that TESCO had totally pulled out for good. However, that was a couple of months ago and things could have changed in that time.
Warsop Person
Lifetime Registered User

Postby whitevanman » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:09 pm

Tesco boss Phil Clarke has put the brakes on the group's UK expansion as he revealed a plunge of more than 50% in the grocer's annual profits

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2013 ... sy-profits
whitevanman
Moderator Team Member
Moderator Team Member

Postby Caz » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:03 am

I think they've also underestimated the effect of public opinion on their decline. Tesco have alienated a lot of people across the country with their 'couldn't care less' bully boy tactics to muscle in on small town centres, which has resulted in an anti Tesco campaign and has driven customers away. Being more sympathetic to the general public might have been more beneficial than expansion plans. They've been struggling for some time so it's no surprise their profits are down again, but they are still making big profits, just not as much as previously and they've been too greedy for their own good.

It annoys me that we now have empty buildings and businesses have been chased out of Warsop for the sake of a greedy giant.
Mrs Warsop Web, Warsop born and bred!
http://www.warsopweb.co.uk
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby BigAl » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:15 pm

It was on Euro news here yesterday that Tesco are pulling out of America as well, at a loss i might add.
Screw the padded room, give me a trampoline floor with bubble wrapped walls and a velcro ceiling.
BigAl
Lifetime Registered User

Location: Where the road takes me now i have stopped fighting my inner feelings, we are on the same side now,

Postby Wizard » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:46 pm

Caz wrote:It annoys me that we now have empty buildings and businesses have been chased out of Warsop for the sake of a greedy giant.

A lot of the blame for the empty buildings in Warsop has to be laid squarely at the feet of the Councils, both MDC and WPC, for not doing their home work before agreeing to let TESCO ride rough shod over the good people of Warsop.
Both of the Councils should have looked at the bigger picture to see what could happen if TESCO withdrew there decision to buy all these properties.
People have had to re-locate their businesses and find alternative housing, all for nothing.
Warsop is in a much worse state now than it was before TESCO decided to come to town(and subsequently changed their minds).
Wizard
Super Registered User

Postby Warsop Person » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:39 pm

whitevanman wrote:Can't understand what is going on here.

Parish councillors confirmed last night at the parish council meeting they had met Tesco and they are coming in 2015.

Today, tuesday, the site is back on the market, confirmed by phone call to Barnes.

http://www.vebra.com/property/8968/24185365

A breakdown in communication it appears Whitey if the PC know that TESCO is still coming to town.

The reason the site is back on the Market is because TESCO have informed the owners of the site they are not perusing the development any longer and do not want the site. This is information was from the owners of the site this week.

It appears either TESCO have neglected to tell the site owners of thier U turn or the information from the PC is out of date.
Warsop Person
Lifetime Registered User

Postby Andrew Daykin » Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:12 am

Happy Days shopping at Tesco ( NOT)

This blogger loves all the scams Tesco pulls on customers :)

http://jasonayres70.blogspot.co.uk/2012 ... tesco.html
I'm no expert, so please correct me if I'm wrong.
Andrew Daykin
Super Registered User

Postby Warsop Person » Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:20 am

Andrew Daykin wrote:Happy Days shopping at Tesco ( NOT)

This blogger loves all the scams Tesco pulls on customers :)

http://jasonayres70.blogspot.co.uk/2012 ... tesco.html

One thing that strikes me about this blog (from the limited bit I read) is that this chap moans on about TESCO yet he still shops there! Why doesn't he just go and shop somewhere else and stop moaning?

Ultimately, it's people like him that keep spending thier money in TESCO and supporting them that enables them to retain thier dominent position on our High Streets.
Warsop Person
Lifetime Registered User

Postby Warsop Person » Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:25 am

Back to Warsop anyway, the site on Burns Lane is definitely back on the open Market as I previously stated.

An indication of TESCO's commitment, they did buy Earl Engineering but have subsequently sold this to the Eastwood Foundation as they have no further interest in the site. The Eastwood foundation own the entire site with the exception of 1 of the semi detached houses on Burns Lane. They are now actively looking for a new buyer.
Warsop Person
Lifetime Registered User

Postby mikkimack » Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:14 am

It would help if the owners of sites would make an effort to clean the area up. even if onlt to remove weeds !!..Shirebrook is the same....now boarded up pub and flats.....perhaps LA's should include something in planning consents ??..perhaps they do ??
mikkimack
Lite Registered User

Postby Warsop Person » Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:18 pm

The problem with this site is that It was sold subject to contract over 2 years ago and everyone saw this as Warsops saviour. Unfortunately the parodical saviour that was coming to save Warsop did the same as they do to the rest of the country and s:&t on Warsop by forcing the closure of the Bingo Hall, evicting people from thier homes, preventing the sale of a key site in Warsop and then pulling out of the purchase.

The charity that owns the site has been left very much out of pocket as a result and further now have the liability of an eyesore site that needs money spending on to tidy up that could have been sold 2+ years ago.
Warsop Person
Lifetime Registered User

Postby mikkimack » Thu May 09, 2013 6:42 pm

The bingo hall is looking very...tired ...now...pity the "big boys" can't be forced to clean it up...and make it sparkling again..
Big boys live way, way................away.....they can leave it I suppose........we look at it as we pass....so tired...unkempt...
mikkimack
Lite Registered User

Postby Andrew Daykin » Fri May 10, 2013 1:41 pm

A lot of towns now have them arranged in the same way !

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=abingdo ... 9,,0,-4.55
I'm no expert, so please correct me if I'm wrong.
Andrew Daykin
Super Registered User

Postby Caz » Fri May 10, 2013 3:27 pm

The difference is Andrew, the bingo might have still been open if it hadn't been for Tesco forcing it to close.
Mrs Warsop Web, Warsop born and bred!
http://www.warsopweb.co.uk
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby Westmorland » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:04 pm

Just checked Barnes website and Eastwoods Buildings are back up for sale, so I assume Tesco have pulled out

http://www.vebra.com/property/8968/24185365
Westmorland
Lifetime Registered User

PreviousNext

Return to Warsop Chatter