Warsop Web Community Forum

Warsop Web Homepage | Contact Us

RSS Feed

Is Warsop Parish Council effective?

Discuss anything about Warsop. For users to participate in all discussions relating to the Parish of Warsop that are not related to any of the specific categories below.
Forum rules
Please READ: Forum Rules & Regulations

Effective
40%
Not Effective
60%

Total votes : 5

Postby Warsop Person » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:41 pm

A thread posted earlier tonight and an article in the CHAD really got me thinking, is our Parish Council effective?

Whilst I do support the concept of a Parish Council I do wonder if we get value for money from ours in the Warsop area. I have been trying to think what we actually get for the precept other than the Town Hall and I really cant think of much. I know they say they do this that and the other, but how much of it do they actually do themselves as opposed to taking glory for the effort of others, do they actually deliver anything?

I always though the purpose of an elected mamber was to work tirelessley for thier electors, lobbying where needed, taking issues up with authorities and organisations on behalf of thier electors and being a voice for those they serve. I get the impression our PC is more about meeting every now and again to have a good moan and distribute the precept somewhere.

So my question is, Is Warsop Parish Council effective?
Warsop Person
Lifetime Registered User

Re: Is Warsop Parish Council effective?

Postby Westmorland » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:19 pm

Warsop Parish Council work very hard for the Parish. All the Councillors do not get paid and the small yearly allowance the chairman gets is always donated to charity.

I have attended many meetings and witnessed the discussions that have taken place to make Warsop a better place to live in .

May I suggest that at the next Parish elections that either Warsop Person 'Puts up or shuts ups'
Westmorland
Lifetime Registered User

Postby Caz » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:28 pm

I think this is a tough one to answer as it really depends on how much involvement you've had with the PC. When I worked at the Town Hall, I saw just how much work some of them do and they are all volunteers, so I did and still do have a lot of respect for two or three of the councillors. I can't say the same for them all, but that's because I've never seen some of them and I have no idea what contribution they make.

They may not always get it right, but I do think we need a PC to act as a voice for the parish and it's up to us to vote the right ones in and ensure they do all pull their weight. The trouble is being a parish councillor isn't something everyone wants to volunteer for, so we don't have much of a choice when voting.

Adrian, it's not a case of put up or shut up. Many people do voluntary work in the parish without being on a council, as you well know. You've had times when you've been less than pleased with the PC and quite rightly made your opinion known. We had a similar discussion some time ago, but it doesn't hurt to raise the question again to see if opinion has changed. http://forum.warsopweb.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6101
Mrs Warsop Web, Warsop born and bred!
http://www.warsopweb.co.uk
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby Warsop Person » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:29 pm

Adrian Hardy wrote:Warsop Parish Council work very hard for the Parish. All the Councillors do not get paid and the small yearly allowance the chairman gets is always donated to charity.

I have attended many meetings and witnessed the discussions that have taken place to make Warsop a better place to live in .

May I suggest that at the next Parish elections that either Warsop Person 'Puts up or shuts ups'

Firstly, I would not seek such a position because I have neither the time or the political views needed to hold such a position.

That said, I asked if the Parish Council was effective, not individuals on it. Please do not try and turn this into something personal Adrian.
Warsop Person
Lifetime Registered User

Postby Wizard » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:35 pm

I started this discussion almost a year ago, as I was seriously disgusted with the way the Parish Council backed TESCO coming to town.
I am not prepared to rake over old ground with this discussion, as everything I said can be read on this post.
What is annoying people is the fact that we have a Parish Council,which costs us a total of £70,000 a year, but they don't seem to have a say in anything that goes on in Warsop.
In the past, MDC have just trodden all over Warsop, and although there was a good result in getting ther Market Charter re-instated, as far as I can see, it was mainly down to the perseverance of a few, rather than the Councillors,who got it back.
The balance sheet shows what the £70,000 is spent on, and to be honest , I don't think it is good value for money.
Again, my personal opinion only.
Wizard
Super Registered User

Postby Caz » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:35 pm

Here's another thread where we discussed the Parish Council.

http://forum.warsopweb.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3172
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby tightwadswife » Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:42 am

I think our Parish Council has a serious image problem. What do they really do for Warsop? I'm asking because I don't really know.

We should be seeing them as an important part of local democracy, an elected body fighting for the rights of the people they represent. Show us the evidence of this.
Instead we're getting the impression, reinforced on this forum that they're a body of willing volunteers, quietly carrying on the business of community good works. Above criticism. To be applauded for their efforts etc etc. Maybe they are, but so are lots of other people in this community.

Back to the image problem. Why is there no competition for seats? People are elected unopposed time after time. Uncontested elections can lead to complacency. Then there's that undemocratic carry on, the co-opting of unelected 'representatives'. You have to ask yourself why these people didn't stand for election in the first place? is there any wonder the electorate cast doubts about the competency and motives of this body.

It may have become a bit of cliche recently, but the PC should give us 'transparency' and not give the impression they are an above question secret society.
On a personal level this lack of openness reinforces my belief that the PC are a toothless dog where the matters of the parish are concerned and I can't see the point in their existence. On the other hand, if they were to become invigorated, forward looking and more demanding on behalf of the people of Warsop, I might be persuaded to change my mind.
tightwadswife
Lifetime Registered User

Postby Westmorland » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:30 am

Their meetings are open to the public and you can speak at them as well, not exactly held in secret is it?
Westmorland
Lifetime Registered User

Postby Warsop Person » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:04 pm

I must admit that I do not really know what the PC do or what they get involved in, yes I know to a degree but maybe what I know is only a fraction.

The point of my post was to see what others thought, I was not making a statement to say they were not effective.

It would appear that simple communication and how the PC reach the people serve will raise there profile, that's if they want to do that.

10 years ago it was word if mouth and news papers, now there electronic news and social media which perhaps they need to embrace to keep up with the rest of us and reach the younger generation.
Warsop Person
Lifetime Registered User

Postby Westmorland » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:31 pm

Why don't you go to their next meeting in the New Year and put your ideas forward. They will then tell you what they think about your idea and whether it has legs or not

No one is going take any notice of an anonymous person on a website and rightly so in my opinion

Stand up and be counted and tell them face to face
Westmorland
Lifetime Registered User

Postby Caz » Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:14 pm

Parish councillors are unpaid volunteers, but I agree that once they put themselves up for it, they should take the job seriously. Most do and some can be seen to be actively doing more than others, but I suspect some are only there to make up the numbers, so I suppose it depends on the individual's view of taking the job seriously.

When it comes to voting for our councillors, we can't choose if there is no choice and we can only choose from those who put themselves up for it and few people want the job. Maybe people don't put up for it because they know they'll be in the firing line for criticism.

I do think they are effective, but I don't think the majority of people see what they do, so perhaps they need to re-invent themselves and become more dynamic, or perhaps they just need to take more of a back seat and be a voice for other community groups. I don't know.

One thing I am sure of, all the groups in Warsop need to be pulling together if we are to get anything done at all. I'm really tired of people backbiting, raking up muck from the past and working in competion, instead of being supportive of each other and moving forward by putting energy into getting things done. Those who volunteer for community work all have a common bond of having the best interests of Warsop at heart, even if they are interests in different projects. It's time to cement the bonds and work together.
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby Tania » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:37 am

Has anyone thought about what I do for the PC?

Considering I am the Clerk, Responsible Office and Editor of Warsop & District News and work full time and more, a big part of the precept is my wages. Maybe some of you should come and sit in my office for a week and see what work I do with my part time assistant Chris. And when people make suggestions about the PC doing more, as I am the only paid officer guess who ends up doing it?

The fact that we took on the Town Hall has created even more work, we now even have help from MDC with a receptionist 3 mornings per week as we couldn't continue operating purely with volunteers.

And now we are trying to save a car park for being sold off for development by NCC, more work?
Tania
Lifetime Registered User

Postby Warsop Person » Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:45 pm

The question related to the "council" and not any individual member or officer of the council.

As stated, there may well be a lot if good that is done by the PC and they may well be an authority that deliver fantastic results. However, they are accountable to the electorate and unless the electorate know what they do then they can't blame them for asking questions.
Warsop Person
Lifetime Registered User

Postby Happy Humphrey » Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:54 pm

This is a "take it or leave it" post, so please don't get too critical. ;)

No, I have no idea what the PC does or what advantages it brings me. I don't even know whether I pay for it. I don't want to go to any meetings because I don't have any strong opinions on whatever it is that gets talked about. I just hope that they leave me alone! To be frank, as far as local services goes I pay my £1600 a year (or whatever it's now risen to) council tax and simply hope that it's enough to keep the bin men coming round. Obviously I realise that that tax doesn't go to the PC, but my point is that I'm unlikely to take much interest in the Parish Council when I can't muster any enthusiasm to find out what the County / District Councils do for me.

I can make some guesses as to what the PC might do, but it's useful to know that I don't actually know. I can't even say whether it's effective or not as I'm not sure what its supposed to do. I doubt that I'm alone in this, so it seems likely that a publicity campaign could be useful.
Happy Humphrey
Lite Registered User

Postby Westmorland » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:34 pm

it looks like it got a bit exciting at the PC according to the minutes of the February meeting

The Chairman closed the meeting to allow:
PUBLIC PARTICIPATION - The matter of the parking issues with Mr. Downie and Mr. Darch were raised again. Mr. Downie was angry with frustration and shouted at the Councillors present saying they were doing nothing.

8913. MATTERS ARISING PP – The Chairman took exception to Mr. Downie’s outburst and firmly told him that the PC are trying to do the best that they can without having any powers to resolve the issue. The Clerk is to invite NCC Highways, MDC Traffic Enforcement, Police including Insp M. Webster and Alan Meale MP to the next meeting to see if there are any solutions to end this feud. It was suggested that Mr. Downie see Alan Meale MP at his surgery on Sat 15th March in the Town Hall. Cllr. Wetton added that the Traffic Enforcement Officer has been out every day last week
Westmorland
Lifetime Registered User

Next

Return to Warsop Chatter