Warsop Web Community Forum

Warsop Web Homepage | Contact Us

RSS Feed

Big Warsop

Discuss anything about Warsop. For users to participate in all discussions relating to the Parish of Warsop that are not related to any of the specific categories below.
Forum rules
Please READ: Forum Rules & Regulations

Big Warsop

Postby Big Warsop » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:32 pm

Have you wondered what's happening with the £1 million lottery fund awarded to Warsop?

The partnership for the Big Local is hoping to be approved and in place for the 1st of January 2013 now that all the boring, but necessary, bits have been done over the last 2 years.

The new Warsop partnership have decided on the name "Big Warsop".

There will be representatives around at the Christmas Market if you want to speak to anyone face to face. Please take a look at the website http://www.bigwarsop.co.uk, the group are also on Facebook and Twitter - links to the right.

There will soon be a small grants pot totalling £15,000.00 available to local groups and individuals, please keep a look out for more information in the coming weeks.

Any questions please feel free to email office@bigwarsop.co.uk or contact the partnership by posting on this forum, Facebook or Twitter.
Big Warsop
Lite Registered User

Facebook: www.facebook.com/thebigwarsop
Twitter: www.twitter.com/Bigwarsop

Re: Big Warsop

Postby whitevanman » Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:00 pm

Apologies in advance for the cynicism, but i do feel that this is dragging on a bit. In the grand scheme of lottery grants,and the value of today's money, one million pounds spread over 10 years is not a vast amount of money to be spent on a improving a community.

So we are now two and a half years from the announcement and it is "hoping" that the partnership is going to be approved in 2013 and if it is, small pots of money will be available totalling £15,000.

I know every bit given to us is welcome and some people have put a lot of hard work in getting this far, but as it been worth it?????? , and when will anything significant happen.

I'll go and get my tin hat on now :)
whitevanman
Moderator Team Member
Moderator Team Member

Postby Big Warsop » Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:37 pm

No tin hat needed whitevaan.

All comments are valid as they are the someones opinion, the group would rather get critical feedback than none at all.

The £15,000.00 small grants pop is not part of the £1m and will be available very shortly, the purpose of this money to engage people with the project and promote an understanding of its existence and purpose.

You are correct, it has taken an awful lot if time to get to thus stage. Thus is because the group has had a lot of foundations to lay and a lot of groups and individuals from across the parish to seek opinions from (getting these opinions was a very long and hard task). Once we had these we had to select a partnership group from the individuals that were left attending the meetings (in actual fact there was that few that everyone agreed to join). Now we have a plan devised from the feedback, and the partnership agreed we can seek approval from the board that oversees the project nationally. Once we have this it is all systems go and we can access the £1m, this should be January 2013.
Big Warsop
Lite Registered User

Postby Caz » Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:22 am

I think a lot of people have become used to hearing about the £1 million lottery money but a bit disgruntled as it hasn't yet materialised. I know these things take time and hopefully things will move along more quickly in the New Year, so please keep us posted on any developments BW.

Just one thing that I have found confusing is the change of name, which has been, 'Big Lottery', 'Big Local' and now 'Big Warsop' and I think others may find it equally so. When I first heard it called Big Warsop, I didn't immediately connect it with the Lottery money and I wonder if people might still not associate the two.
Mrs Warsop Web, Warsop born and bred!
http://www.warsopweb.co.uk
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby Big Warsop » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:31 am

Caz wrote:I think a lot of people have become used to hearing about the £1 million lottery money but a bit disgruntled as it hasn't yet materialised. I know these things take time and hopefully things will move along more quickly in the New Year, so please keep us posted on any developments BW.

Just one thing that I have found confusing is the change of name, which has been, 'Big Lottery', 'Big Local' and now 'Big Warsop' and I think others may find it equally so. When I first heard it called Big Warsop, I didn't immediately connect it with the Lottery money and I wonder if people might still not associate the two.

It is confusing Caz, and it has been time consuming!

Basically the "Big Lottery fund"started a project called "Big Local", this is the 10 year project that awards up to £1m to targeted areas over a period of up to 10 years. As a selected area the Warsop Parish had to set ip a "steering Group" and do an awful lot of public consultation to find out what people perceived the local issues to be and what they thought would make the Warsop Parish a better place to live.

Once all that was done we put all that in the mix and came out with a clearer picture of what people locally want. It was then time to form a plan and set up a local "partnership" and give it a name. The name selected was "Big Warsop" and this will be the local group that guides the project through its 10 year life cycle.

So in short, "Big Warsop" is the specific name of the Warsop Parish project and we hope to start drawing money from the £1m very early in 2013 when the partnership is approved by "Big Local".

Please feel free to post any questions at all that you have.
Big Warsop
Lite Registered User

Postby Big Warsop » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:49 pm

Big Warsop have created a short film which aims to promote understanding of the Big Warsop project, this can be viewed on the Big Warsop website.

http://www.bigwarsop.co.uk/big-warsop-film/

Please feel free to send any comments or questions through to Big Warsop via Email, Twitter, Facebook or this Forum.
Big Warsop
Lite Registered User

Postby Caz » Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:36 pm

I'd really like to know what other people think about the video and whether they think it gives out the right message. I watched it and if I'm brutally honest, I didn't think it did! It didn't grip me and I didn't feel it was aimed at me, so I kind of switched off. I happen to know what the lottery money is about and who it's for, but I really don't think the video made it clear.

I don't want to say any more at this stage as I'd rather see if others share my opinion!

Please, please watch it and post your opinion. http://vimeo.com/53328312

This is OUR money and I for one would like to see it invested wisely because we'll never get this chance again!!
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby tightwadswife » Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:35 am

OK, So I watched the film and I still don't get it. So in that respect, the film is a bit of a failure. If I'm honest, I felt it wasn't very inspiring. Did we really need the negative shots of chip cartons and windblown plastic pop bottles?
Unlike Caz, I don't really know what this lottery money is all about or who's controlling it for that matter. Can somebody please explain.
What exactly can this money be used for? What can't it be used for? Who really makes all the decisions?
tightwadswife
Lifetime Registered User

Postby Tomas Drouty » Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:04 am

I disagree in some respects... chip cartons and wind blown bottles did inspire me ... it makes me think ... crikey, yes we do need some investment and something sorting.

I likewise have an idea about Big Warsop but became very negatively minded towards it due to the inordinate amount of beuracracy surrounding the project in the earlier stages. Where I do think the film is lacking is the key questions that TWW has asked. The film did explain that the money can not be used to fund statutory services that councils should be providing... it would have been better if more info was given on what it could be spent on and the decision making process.

I'd like to thank the producers for making the film and indeed the volunteers for appearing in it - let's not forget that voluntary time would have been invested in the production of the film in the first place... yes it could have had a bit more info in it... was it a complete waste of time - I think not.
Tomas Drouty
Moderator Team Leader
Moderator Team Leader

Postby moanersRus » Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:28 am

Well I started to watch the film and turned it off I will go have another look when I can.

Why did I turn it off?

Because from the outset I could see it was going to promote young people and for the money to go that way. Maybe if I watch it again I will be proved wrong but we will see
Of all the things i've lost, i miss my mind the most
moanersRus
Lifetime Registered User

Postby Warsop Person » Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:06 am

I think credit where credit is due, the big whatever it is group are trying to keep us informed.

I am not sure what message this video was intended to get across but to me it says that, as we all thought, the money is going to SHINE. It does leave a lot on unanswered questions like, who controls the money, can anyone other than young children benefit, who is involved, what was the socalled feedback they got and who from, and who approved the direction?

If they had actually spent a bit of the £1m on having the video produced then the producer may have been able to spend a bit more time on it to make sure it was a little more incisive, this seems to be an attempt at conditioning people to believe that everyone wants the money to be spent on young children with a few other bits thrown in to try and make it look like they are not focused on one thing.

What did I get from the video.... If your not a parent that is looking for someone else to look after and guide your children for free then this is not for you, it's a waste of time and money. Now maybe I am wrong but that the message they have just sent me through that video.

That said, at least these people are trying to do something and I applaud them for that.
Warsop Person
Lifetime Registered User

Postby moanersRus » Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:19 am

i agree someones gone out there way to produce it but i did not want to creit yet until i know as if it was done to show through the young people for the grant then its not credit due having said that i am yet undecisive and need to go watch the vid fully to see if i am wrong, but from your response it appears my suspicions were correct.

Was the carrs mentioned? are they elegible to do wanted works on there? i know the friends of the carrs want to do a lot but do what they can as and when funds permit.
Of all the things i've lost, i miss my mind the most
moanersRus
Lifetime Registered User

Postby Caz » Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:58 am

I think the vid is biased towards young people and sends out the message that the money is meant for that age group, in which case it's not aimed at me, as I'm not young and I have no children. There was recently a survey done by Shine that related to this money, but as Shine are a youth group I didn't think it relevant to me either.

I have no problem with investment in young people, but a community comprises all age groups and the £1 million is for the community. If the community decides the money should be spent on young people, then fair enough, but that decision has to be made without bias and without being led up that path. They need to know what the other options are before they decide.

I know the Big Warsop group are keen to get the opinions of as many people as possible, but we do need to speak up. We also need to feel this is relevant to us, so a clear and correct message has to be sent out. In my opinion, the Shine branding needs to be dropped from the Big Warsop campaign as it's become confusing and increasingly biased.

I too applaud the unpaid volunteers who produced the video and those who attend meetings and make these decisions, though not all are unpaid, but those who give up their spare time to do good for the community need support from the community. They can only do what they believe to be right and if we don't tell them, we can't blame them for getting it wrong.
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby Caz » Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:48 pm

Just to answer an important question. Who is controlling the money?

WE are controlling the money! WE, the community! WE are the ones who have a say in how it's spent. If we don't say what we think, we can't complain if it's spent on something different.

The Big Warsop group are doing their best to get people to speak up - they're doing their best to engage the community, which is what they have to do for us to be eligable for this money. The group who are currently taking the lead are mostly unpaid volunteer members of our community who want to do their best for Warsop. But they can only do what the community tell them to do. They can only respond to what's said.

There are also a few paid advisors on the group, who I understand will leave the group once the spending starts.

That's why it's important that we on this forum have our say. The forum represents a very small percentage of the community, but it's another angle of communicating. I know a lot of people just read the forum and don't post but this is your opportunity to make your voice known if you want to. If posting on the forum isn't your 'thing', you can follow on twitter or comment on facebook, but at least say something!!
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby m8tey » Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:40 am

If it wasn't for reading about it on the forum, I would not have heard of Big Warsop......
TRY IT YOU MIGHT LIKE IT
m8tey
Lifetime Registered User

Next

Return to Warsop Chatter