Warsop Web Community Forum

Warsop Web Homepage | Contact Us

RSS Feed

Chad's Cuckney Hill Campaign

Discuss anything about Warsop. For users to participate in all discussions relating to the Parish of Warsop that are not related to any of the specific categories below.
Forum rules
Please READ: Forum Rules & Regulations

Re: Chad's Cuckney Hill Campaign

Postby Caz » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:54 pm

mikeC wrote:
Adrian Hardy wrote:There are notices on lamposts on Cuckney Hill stating that the road is to become a 30mph limit for 250 yards from the Bishops Walk junction.

I don't know why they bother, no-one seems to take any notice of the existing speed limits anyway :roll:

Some of us do but then you get idiots who overtake you!!! On Saturday, I even saw a car doing a U turn at the top of the hill. Some will just never learn, whatever measures are taken.
Mrs Warsop Web, Warsop born and bred!
http://www.warsopweb.co.uk
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby whitevanman » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:38 pm

The average speed camera's site's have now been approved. The land to site the gantry plinths as now been sorted with John Bowring, NCC are just waiting for a gap in their work schedule to install them.
whitevanman
Moderator Team Member
Moderator Team Member

Postby Happy Humphrey » Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:32 pm

Oh no. Not another set of speed cameras. Soon you won't be able to drive anywhere in Notts without being speed checked. This is likely to cause misery for the driver but delight for the local authority.
Happy Humphrey
Lite Registered User

Postby BigAl » Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:20 pm

Simple answer is to stick within the legal limits then :D :D
Screw the padded room, give me a trampoline floor with bubble wrapped walls and a velcro ceiling.
BigAl
Lifetime Registered User

Location: Where the road takes me now i have stopped fighting my inner feelings, we are on the same side now,

Postby Caz » Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:58 pm

In all seriousness, I think the authorities have a tough time with things like this. They have to respond to public demand to do something, yet nobody really knows what they can do to actually make a difference. Whatever they do they won't stop idiots doing what they already do. They won't make them use common sense on the roads and they won't make them suddenly stop putting themselves and other road users at risk. Idiots already disregard the laws of the road, so I really can't see them abiding by new laws.
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby Happy Humphrey » Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:05 am

BigAl wrote:Simple answer is to stick within the legal limits then :D :D

Sounds so easy! Just try and do that 100% of the time though, and if you drive a good distance every year you're almost guaranteed to pick up penalty points sooner or later. Quite likely, in your obsession with keeping your eyes on the speedometer, you fail to spot that lunatic doing a U-turn at the top of the hill, and have an accident at legal speeds.

Speed cameras exist primarily to raise funds for local authorities and other bodies. They are positioned in the most cost-effective way: for instance, where signage is poor, or where the road system makes it likely that the speed will be frequently exceeded.
If you think I'm wrong, just look at the number of cameras around here where they've installed them but not upgraded the old speed limit signs. Or where they've never even tried any alternative. Or where the cameras have the absolute minimum of warning on approach (just the little camera sign). Or where it's a safe dual carriageway and the speed limit has been reduced to an almost pedestrian level.
Happy Humphrey
Lite Registered User

Postby johno » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:09 am

stick to the limit hey presto no problem, break the law get caught pay the price in more ways than one.
johno
Lite Registered User

Postby mikeC » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:34 pm

Happy Humphrey wrote:
BigAl wrote:Simple answer is to stick within the legal limits then :D :D

Sounds so easy! Just try and do that 100% of the time though, and if you drive a good distance every year you're almost guaranteed to pick up penalty points sooner or later...

It is easy. If you are driving 'a good distance every year' you should be able to judge your speed pretty accurately without continually checking the speedometer. I don't agree with many of our speed limits, and find them frustrating and annoying, but to date I have had only one speeding fine in fifty years of driving, and that was when I crossed the start of a thirty limit at 37mph whilst slowing down to the limit; ever since I have ensured I am within the speed limit before I enter it.

Aren't I good boy? :oops: :lol:
mikeC
Lite Registered User

Postby johno » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:49 pm

yep join the club, i have been all over in the last 45 years of driving and no speeding fine, am i a good lad aswell Mike c.
johno
Lite Registered User

Postby Happy Humphrey » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:34 am

I've only been caught twice, both within the last year, both on dual carriageways where the speed camera is of the "trap" variety. It doesn't matter whether you've been driving for 5 years or 45 (I've only been driving cars and motorbikes for 40 years), it's only recently that there has been real proliferation of these gadgets.

Previous to a couple of years ago speed checks were limited to areas where there is a particular problem, so sensible drivers didn't really have to worry. It's only recently that the revenue-raising variety have become dominant in many areas, and it's not good enough that you drive at an appropriate speed. You really do have to keep your one eye on the speedometer and the other on the speed limit signs. Examples include dual carriageways that were 70 mph three years ago and are now 50 in places, despite being in clear country areas. 60 mph seems appropriate (or even cautious) and 50 a crawl (particularly when the road is empty) so it's no good relying on your judgement. Signs are deliberately kept to a minimum and cameras placed immediately after a change in speed limit.
Happy Humphrey
Lite Registered User

Postby Caz » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:39 am

I have never had a speeding fine and I've been driving for about 35 years. Hope I haven't spoken to soon, though I am conscious of my speed. However, it's a wonder I didn't get caught in Woodhouse on the back road round by the golf course because I didn't realise it was a 30 limit until there was a speed trap there last year and Daniel got caught. I know now. :roll:
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby whitevanman » Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:48 pm

Although i have had one speeding ticket many years ago, i got pulled up on monday for not speeding. Driving between the two roundabouts coming out of Worksop (40 limit) i got pulled by an unmarked black volvo. He said that a white van driving within the limit raised his suspicions and wondered that i could be hiding something. As my van is fully sign written i can't think how i was trying to hide, after he checked me over, including what i was carrying, he let me go, as funnily enough i just happened to be completely legal. :roll:
whitevanman
Moderator Team Member
Moderator Team Member

Postby mikeC » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:53 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

That reminds me of my student days, when I was pulled up on the Stockport Road going in to Manchester for doing 40mph in a 30mph zone: I was told if I couldn't keep up with traffic I should find another route for my journey :roll:
mikeC
Lite Registered User

Postby whitevanman » Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:32 pm

Road works started on Cuckney Hill yesterday. They're putting the bases in for the camera's and installing street lights upto the end of the 40 limit.
whitevanman
Moderator Team Member
Moderator Team Member

Postby Happy Humphrey » Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:50 pm

:(

I wonder who is going to monitor whether the number of serious accidents declines significantly? I thought not!

I wonder who is going to monitor how much money is raked in...I thought so!
Happy Humphrey
Lite Registered User

Previous

Return to Warsop Chatter