Warsop Web Community Forum

Warsop Web Homepage | Contact Us

RSS Feed

Chad's Cuckney Hill Campaign

Discuss anything about Warsop. For users to participate in all discussions relating to the Parish of Warsop that are not related to any of the specific categories below.
Forum rules
Please READ: Forum Rules & Regulations

Re: Chad's Cuckney Hill Campaign

Postby Warsop Person » Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:19 am

What is the objective of the CHAD capaign? They call it an accident black spot when no 2 accidents to which they refer have actually ovcurrd in the same spot.

Is It not a bit premature to start demanding action before the cause of the latest accident has been fully investigated, surly any action that is taken needs to be targeted and not a stab in the dark does it not?

What is important is that the stretch of road becomes safer, is a photo opportunity really that important?
Warsop Person
Lifetime Registered User

Postby moanersRus » Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:23 am

ok maybe its "WARSOPS WORST ROAD" now think of all road closures in warsop due to accidents and where more comes up more so than anywhere else in warsop? its a dangerous road its an easy road to go fast if you blink you miss motorbikes going up the hill. i think whitey has said before he's tried to time them to work out speed and its stupidly fast. then if someones coming out the layby at the top it becomes a flying bike. but i'm not blaming just bikes. the lowered speed limit! that was all good for sensible drivers but not the idiots on the road.

its about time there were average speed cameras put on that stretch of road and a static one each way at the junction of cuckney. Also when i go shopping and come out of the junction from creswell looking back over that corner is a pain and its still a gamble if you get out or not as the distance from seeing traffic clearly is not great enough to get out and upto speed in time it needs traffic lights
Of all the things i've lost, i miss my mind the most
moanersRus
Lifetime Registered User

Postby johno » Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:02 pm

In my opinion the north side of cuckney hill surely as enough room because of road width that a couple of central refuges could help esp where last fatality took place, because in the last few days the amount of drivers overtaking there is just unreal. Those with the finger on the pulse please take note whoever you are. The other side i know is not wide enough coming into warsop.
johno
Lite Registered User

Postby Warsop Person » Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:12 pm

Cuckney is not in Warsop but taking into consideration that people approach the crossroads too fast do you think creating a stationary block of traffic at lights would be a good idea? Maybe a mini roundabout would be more suitable?

Static speed cameras are pointless, they are just metal tax collectors. Anyone who drives must have witnessed drivers slow for them and then immediately speed up once they have passed them.

I have noticed far more overtaking on that stretch sinse the new 50mph limit has come into force, has that made the situation better or worse?

The new street lighting on the north side of the hill makes your eyes adjust to the light in the dark, they then stop just as you go under the pitch black tree canopy. This makes visibility far worse in that section than it was before at night, are the street lights an improvement or not?

I don't know what the objective of the CHAD campaigne is but it does seem a little early to be calling for action. The worst thing that can happen is the Highways Authority to responds to public pressure for immediate action and get the solution wrong because they have not had the time to review all the facts of the latest tragedy.
Warsop Person
Lifetime Registered User

Postby Wizard » Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:06 pm

The road has been the same for years and years.
There is nothing wrong with it at all.
It's the people who use it that cause the problems.
As I have said in a previous post, lowering the speed limit has done nothing whatsoever to reduce the accident rate.
Lowering the speed limit further will just infuriate drivers, who will then take a risk and overtake a slower moving car.
Installing average speed cameras will not happen due to the high cost involved.
I consider myself a safe driver, and 50 MPH from the cemetary to cuckney is a safe enough speed.
The speed limit on the road north of Cuckney goes up to 60MPH, and that seems safe enough.
Educating the drivers is what's needed, not more money making cameras!!
As for the photo call, Just what is the point??
Wizard
Super Registered User

Postby Caz » Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:46 pm

I really don't know what the answer is. I suggested putting up signs to say it's an accident black spot, but on second thought, I don't think that would work, because locals are already aware of the amount of fatalities there, yet it's still locals who become the fatalities. The speed limit has already been reduced, so is there any point putting up average speed cameras or the like becaue everyone has a speedometer that tells them the speed they're doing if they want to keep within the limit.
Mrs Warsop Web, Warsop born and bred!
http://www.warsopweb.co.uk
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby Westmorland » Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:49 pm

put some speed bumps on it that should do it
Westmorland
Lifetime Registered User

Postby Tomas Drouty » Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:55 pm

Average speed cameras will ensure that the correct speed is followed for the duration. They won't stop those who insist on speeding but might do if they get fined. Another option is a type of road surface that literally shreds tyres if going above a certain speed.
Tomas Drouty
Moderator Team Leader
Moderator Team Leader

Postby moanersRus » Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:09 pm

fixed cameras on the junction will ensure people slow down for the junction i know they dont solve the problem overall hence average on the hill area and static on the traffic lights.

a round about wont achieve anything as people will just speed over it, when the ones at the top of warsop were put in people came around the corner from mansfield so fast they could not slow down untill everyone local realised they were there.

i agree speed cameras are money makers and another tax BUT if your adhering to the speed limit what is there to worry about?
Of all the things i've lost, i miss my mind the most
moanersRus
Lifetime Registered User

Postby Westmorland » Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:17 pm

we need a zero tolerance approach to this Cuckney Hill issue, regular speed traps, hefty fines . Also a pedestrian refuge needs to be put in across from the cemetery to stop over taking. As often drivers overtake as soon as they go by the farm.
Westmorland
Lifetime Registered User

Postby Warsop Person » Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:46 pm

It will be easy to overreact and make the road worse, tragic light, speed cameras , speed humps, refuges, new signage all will deflect drivers attention away from what's going on around them and potentially make the road less safe.

One of the CHAD's 6 accidents was the one at the cenotaph where a pedestrian fell into the road, another was near the cemetery where a bus driver fell asleep at the wheel, another was someone doing a U turn just over the crest of the hill. The point is that everyone is pointing at speed control and appearing not to consider there are other factors that have contributed to the accident statistics on that road. In some of the fatal accudents excess speed was not even a factor.

Average speed cameras could help but can only be placed on a section of highway with consistent speed restriction..

You also have to take into account that this is a main road and aside from irresponsible drivers there are other vehicles that need to use the road, such as emergency vehicles, which can do without being impeded by over the top traffic calming.
Warsop Person
Lifetime Registered User

Postby whitevanman » Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:42 pm

Warsop Person wrote:It will be easy to overreact and make the road worse, tragic light, speed cameras , speed humps, refuges, new signage all will deflect drivers attention away from what's going on around them and potentially make the road less safe............

I can see your point on this WP and a good case, as an example, is the A614. Most of the above measures have been put in place between Ollerton and Nottingham, but the reduction in accidents as only been a small percentage. The main thing it as achieved on there is to make the journey time longer for the safe driving motorist.
whitevanman
Moderator Team Member
Moderator Team Member

Postby ELMER FUDD » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:56 pm

In my driving days I had two accidents on Cuckney Hill, neither of which were caused by speeding or careless driving.
The first happened as I came over the brow to descend into Warsop. Without warning I was up on the footpath on the other side of the road. A track-rod end had come adrift and steering was lost.
The second happened as I was about to descend on the north side. It was 6.30 on a dark freezing winter's morning. I was well aware of the ice and drove accordingly. To my astonishment a policeman jumped out in front of me waving a lamp. I swerved to avoid him and came to a halt on the grass verge on the opposide side. The said bobby came knocking on my window, telling me to take care as there was ice on the road. I cannot repeat what I said.
ELMER FUDD
Lite Registered User

Postby Caz » Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:57 pm

I tend to agree with WP too. Looking at the fatalities, there is little they all have in common, other than user error and we cannot blame the road for that. Perhaps we can reduce the likelihood of user error though and I think WP has a point about not putting measures in place that will act as distractions. I don't know about road surfaces that shred tyres and emergency vehicles use that road a lot and it wouldn't do to damage those, plue I would think shredded tyres would cause accidents. Elmer mentioned Ice on the road, so perhaps anti skid surfacing would help, though I don't think ice was a factor in the fatalities cited.

I can understand that people want to stop fatalities on that road, because we've had so many recently, but it is recently, yet the road has always been there. So we need to be asking what's changed? We also need to take a step back and avoid the knee jerk approach to calling for immediate action to be taken, otherwise the authorities will be responding for the wrong reasons and taking the wrong measures.
Mrs Warsop Web, Warsop born and bred!
http://www.warsopweb.co.uk
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby Westmorland » Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:32 pm

Hundreds sign Chad Cuckney Hill petition

http://www.chad.co.uk/news/local/hundre ... -1-4883055

For those of you who say nothing needs doing just read the above article and you will find the partner of the man killed also lost her Father Tony Natriss on the same road in 2009.
Westmorland
Lifetime Registered User

PreviousNext

Return to Warsop Chatter