Warsop Web Community Forum

Warsop Web Homepage | Contact Us

RSS Feed

Spring Watch

Discuss anything about Warsop. For users to participate in all discussions relating to the Parish of Warsop that are not related to any of the specific categories below.
Forum rules
Please READ: Forum Rules & Regulations

Re: Spring Watch

Postby Caz » Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:55 pm

Kite Runner wrote:We have a mother hedgehog and her 4 hoglets living in our front garden!

That's lovely! I had a young hedgehog last year, but I haven't seen it at all this year. Come to think of it, I haven't seen any hedgehogs at all yet this year.
Mrs Warsop Web, Warsop born and bred!
http://www.warsopweb.co.uk
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby Caz » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:19 am

I found the first frog spawn of the season in our pond today. That's two days earlier than last year but later than previous years.
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby m8tey » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:49 pm

Have you seen the daffodils along Bishops walk? From the Tudor barn up to Laurel avenue. They look fantastic........
TRY IT YOU MIGHT LIKE IT
m8tey
Lifetime Registered User

Postby Caz » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:09 am

I drove past there on Monday and thought how nice they looked.
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby loftyhermes » Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:57 pm

Heard my first Cuckoo on Saturday.
Me slow??? I get up in the morning with nothing to do and go to bed at night with half of it done.
loftyhermes
Lifetime Registered User

Postby Caz » Wed May 04, 2011 12:00 am

It's quite remarkable how the hawthorn (May flower) managed to be in full flower during April. I believe the old saying that goes, Ne'er cast a clout, 'till May is out, refers to the May flower and not the month, because it responds to warm weather. Also the bluebells are going to seed already and it's only the start of May. The lack of rain over the past two months, the very warm weather and the recent stiff breezes have left everything very dry and the spate of forest and grass fires that are usually seen in late summer have already started. It looks like being a busy year for the local fire service.
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby Garth Throstle » Thu May 19, 2011 4:01 pm

Water Vole Survey Training Course

Saturday 4th June - Warsop Town Hall

Come along to this FREE training course and find out more about these secretive creatures and learn how to find out if water voles are present on a water course near to you. This course have been designed to give members of the public a knowledge of the ecology of water voles and to provide an introduction to the skills required to identify the presence of water voles.

All the courses will involve an indoor classroom session in the morning and a site visit in the afternoon. Bring your lunch and waders or wellies.

For more information and to book a place contact Chris Jackson at the Nottinghamshire Biodiversity Action Group - 0115 977 4213
Garth Throstle
Lite Registered User

Postby Caz » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:50 am

The first frog spawn of the year has appeared in my pond overnight! Ten days earlier than last year, but I don't have as many frogs as in previous years. There are only about a dozen and there are usually 4 times that many, though there's time yet.
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby Garth Throstle » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:05 pm

Our frogs spawned on 3rd March, a week later than last year but numbers don't seem to have recovered since winter 2010-11.
Garth Throstle
Lite Registered User

Postby tightwadswife » Wed May 16, 2012 6:05 am

Anybody seen my Housemartins?
I've seen a few flying about, but 'mine' are 10 days late compared to last year and three weeks later than in previous years.
Is it because of the weather?
tightwadswife
Lifetime Registered User

Postby whitevanman » Wed May 16, 2012 6:17 am

Last year, neither the house martins or swifts appeared here, although the swallows were here in slightly larger numbers.

I've also only heard two cuckoo calls this year, one about 3 weeks ago in Sherwood Forest and one last sunday in Carburton woods.
whitevanman
Moderator Team Member
Moderator Team Member

Postby Caz » Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:24 pm

Anyone got any frog spawn yet? I've seen a couple of frogs in the garden but no sign of spawn and I haven't heard them croaking yet either.
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby Garth Throstle » Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:57 pm

Caz wrote:Anyone got any frog spawn yet? I've seen a couple of frogs in the garden but no sign of spawn and I haven't heard them croaking yet either.

Small amount of spawn this morning after a few days of croaking! Only seen a couple of frogs mating this year - a few years back there were at least a dozen in our small pond.
Garth Throstle
Lite Registered User

Postby Caz » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:03 pm

Just in time for Mother's Day then Garth!!! :D

No spawn in my pond yet and I've only seen one lonely frog, which can't do much on its own. I haven't even heard any croaking yet either so I'm hoping it's just the weather that's putting them off. There has been a decline in my pond since the winter of 2010, when we found a lot of dead frogs and we've only had a dozen or so for the last couple of years, which is a quarter of what we used to get.
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby whitevanman » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:21 pm

40 odd frogs in our pond last year, went to have a look today and not a sign of any frog or spawn.
whitevanman
Moderator Team Member
Moderator Team Member

PreviousNext

Return to Warsop Chatter