Warsop Web Community Forum

Warsop Web Homepage | Contact Us

RSS Feed

DICK

A place to discuss specific topics amongst the company of other forum members. Voice your opinion and make yourself heard in our variety of debates.
Forum rules
Please READ: Forum Rules & Regulations

DICK

Postby ELMER FUDD » Wed May 15, 2013 3:49 pm

A man complained this week that he had been hauled over the coals for using the name Dick in a communication. He protested and was told by some brainless bureaurocrat that Dick was not allowed as it held connotations of sexuality. Have we gone stark, staring mad in this country? What are we to do when we write of Dick Whittington, Dick Turpin or even the famous Yorkshire cricket umpire Dicky Bird? Are their names to be obliterated from history? Perhaps we should change them to John Thomas? I can see that name causing some confusion among the politically correct.
It's not just that. "Will the gentleman please talk through the chair?" When thought about, that is a most stupid request
I can just see the man picking up a chair and trying to make his point through it. He would be laughed out of any meeting.
What's wrong with 'chairman'? No more sexist than 'human', 'humanity'. Come to think of it, why not 'wo' or 'we' instead of woman or women? It would make as much sense as 'chair'. Am I alone in being annoyed by this or are there any more out there who have had enough and are willing to call a spade a spade and a chairman a chairman regardless of sex?
ELMER FUDD
Lite Registered User

Re: DICK

Postby Caz » Wed May 15, 2013 9:09 pm

I agree the PC brigade have gone way too far. I think they've forgotten that the word woman, includes the word man, as in wo man, so I see nothing wrong with having a 'chairman', whether male or female!! What about 'mankind'? Are we to change that to personkind to please the PC lot?
Mrs Warsop Web, Warsop born and bred!
http://www.warsopweb.co.uk
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Return to Debates