Warsop Web Community Forum

Warsop Web Homepage | Contact Us

RSS Feed

Local dialect

A place to discuss specific topics amongst the company of other forum members. Voice your opinion and make yourself heard in our variety of debates.
Forum rules
Please READ: Forum Rules & Regulations

Re: Local dialect

Postby Caz » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:54 am

Warsop Person wrote:
Caz wrote:I was in a Teeside pub and asked for a chip cob. The puzzled look on the girls face made me think she was foreign so I went on to describe what I wanted. 'Oh I see', she said in a Teeside accent, 'you mean a chip bap'. :lol:

Caz, don't start us on the cob one.....

If you go as far north as Doncaster they don't know what a cob is, to the m it is a bread cake, go to Derby and it is a bap but in Nottingham it is none of them and they don't have a clue what you are talking about unless you ask for a roll. This all came to light one morning when I popped to the sandwich shop just down the road from the office for a sausage cob.... they said you mean a sausage roll, it got very confusing after that and I decided from that day on i would have bacon!

:lol: :lol: And they wonder why us Brits don't bother to learn foreign languages!

So, how do they distinguish a sausage roll (with pastry) from a sausage roll (with bread) ?
Mrs Warsop Web, Warsop born and bred!
http://www.warsopweb.co.uk
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Previous

Return to Debates