Warsop Web Community Forum

Warsop Web Homepage | Contact Us

RSS Feed

The Leveson Report

A place to discuss specific topics amongst the company of other forum members. Voice your opinion and make yourself heard in our variety of debates.
Forum rules
Please READ: Forum Rules & Regulations

The Leveson Report

Postby tightwadswife » Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:16 am

Anyone got any thoughts on this?
The findings of the Leveson Inquiry have illustrated the depths to which press will stoop in pursuit of a story.
Do we really need the government to bring in new laws to protect us from the newspapers? Or is censorship a step too far?
tightwadswife
Lifetime Registered User

Re: The Leveson Report

Postby whitevanman » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:43 am

Most of the press actions covered by the report were illegal anyway and laws covering these are already in place. The press blatantly disregarded the law knowing that the extra sales this information bought and the extra publicity generated far outweighed the fine, if any, they would get.

This happens in a lot of instances, another example being pollution.

The immediate answer would be to beef up and act on existing laws rather than start to make new ones.
whitevanman
Moderator Team Member
Moderator Team Member

Re: The Leveson Report

Postby BigAl » Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:12 pm

Personally i believe its been a total waste of time and money. The government seem to have no intention of implementing over half of it anyway. A political pawn used in the hope of gaining a few more votes. I don't feel sorry for the celebs who have been involved either ( the price of fame ) but i do feel for the likes of the Dowlers and other normal people who suffered. Not sure about beefing up the law either whitey most of the laws are so old / antiquated and may need redoing to enhance the laws that have been brought in over the last few years. It won't stop it though and its going on all the time on the internet as well, that is going to be a lot harder to police or stop.
Screw the padded room, give me a trampoline floor with bubble wrapped walls and a velcro ceiling.
BigAl
Lifetime Registered User

Location: Where the road takes me now i have stopped fighting my inner feelings, we are on the same side now,

Return to Debates