Warsop Web Community Forum

Warsop Web Homepage | Contact Us

RSS Feed

REMEMBERANCE SUNDAY.

A place to discuss specific topics amongst the company of other forum members. Voice your opinion and make yourself heard in our variety of debates.
Forum rules
Please READ: Forum Rules & Regulations

REMEMBERANCE SUNDAY.

Postby ELMER FUDD » Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:34 pm

Now that we have paid our respects to the dead of many wars is it not time to have politicians banned from participation in future services? It makes my stomach churn to see them dressed in black and wearing mournful expressions while laying wreaths at the Cenotaph. Of all the dead of all the wars Britain has been involved in since the days of Napolean the only ones to have died in a truly just war were those in the fight against Hitlerism. Every other conflict was totally avoidable, up to and including the present one. We only became involved because of politicians who sought glory and wealth for their own ends. One, who put in an appearance last Sunday, has become a multi-millionaire on the backs of those who died because of his desire for the spilling of blood.
"They gave their lives", we hear. The truth is, their lives were taken from them. "The glorious dead". What's glorious about being dead? "We will remember them". Once a year. What of those whose lives have been ruined or who have died by their own hand because of the trauma resulting from serving in these unnecessary wars? They have been callously abandoned to their fate. What of those veterans who marched by the Cenotaph or attended memmorial services throughout the country? Have they been remembered? Sure they have. They have been told that if they become too feeble to look after their selves they will have to sacrifice savings or homes to pay for care.
For many ex-service personell it is a case of eat or heat through our winters. They have their medals, what more do they want? As one from a family who earned medals from Loos to Suvla Bay I see them as a cheap reward for putting ones life on the line, they don't put bread on the table when times are hard.
Some politicians have actually claimed expenses for attending these memorial services. How many of them pay for their wreaths? At the Cenotaph they do their duty, retire to the nearest building to wine and dine while those who have stood waitin for hours in all weathers march past. If we can't ban these creeps from going through the motions, perhaps it would be a good idea to make them stand back until the parade of the real heros is over?
ELMER FUDD
Lite Registered User

Re: REMEMBERANCE SUNDAY.

Postby tightwadswife » Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:03 pm

Oh Elmer, I couldn't agree more. Perhaps we should remember though, that the televised service we see on our screens is a big annual show put together by the Royal British Legion and the BBC. In a way it's a good thing and makes sure people don't forget, but it's infuriating to say the least having to watch politicians as you say 'Wearing mournful expressions'. Playing to the cameras of course.
I think more genuine remembrance takes place at small local cenotaphs.
tightwadswife
Lifetime Registered User

Postby BigAl » Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:17 pm

And that should be from the top down. Apart from the queen and serving royals they should all be at the back of the queue.
Its always been one of my gripes that the people who put my butt on the line then sat back in their comfortable offices get benefits from others work.
The RBL do a lot of good work and using the BBC for its purposes in raising money is a good thing, the publicity alone is worth a lot.
Agreed that the smaller services are much more personal and should be led by those who have served or are serving not politicians.
As for them claiming expenses for attending a remembrance service they should be named and shamed no matter what position they hold. I find that disgusting.
Screw the padded room, give me a trampoline floor with bubble wrapped walls and a velcro ceiling.
BigAl
Lifetime Registered User

Location: Where the road takes me now i have stopped fighting my inner feelings, we are on the same side now,

Postby ELMER FUDD » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:45 pm

Yes BA, it's only a few weeks ago since the names of the expenses claimers were published. I forget who at the moment but will try to look it up.
What I forgot to mention in my earlier post, there's much talk now of getting us involved with Syria. When directly questioned about this Cameron was evasive but sain nothing was off the table. Read into that what you like but, to me, it looks like he's aiming to make himself a fortune out of the sacrifice of more young soldiers lives.
ELMER FUDD
Lite Registered User

Postby ELMER FUDD » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:44 am

LIb-Dem MP and armed forces Minister Nick Hasrvey claimed £7.20 for attending a remerbrance service in his constituency last year. He was not alone in this practice. Thirteen MPs lodged milage claims last year. Another Lib-Dem MP, Minister and deputy leader of the commons claimed £23.40 for milage to his local service. We also had a Labour MP called Dai Havard who claimed 45 pence in expenses for having to travel a mile to his local service. Then there was Tory MP Graham Evans who claimed £97.65. Need I go on?
Name and shame? There is no shame in those people. Come next election they will be returned to parliament by the constituents of their 'Safe' seats who will have forgotten or never been aware because they live in the make-believe world of soap operas or are more interested in the antics 'Celebreties'.
Did you know that Putin decreed that a Russian medal be struck and awarded to survivors of the Arctic Conveys of WW2 and that our caring government said 'No'? To allow them be awarded a medal by a foreign power would be breaking some stupid rules. Canada, Australia, and the US adopted a more acceptable attitude and were grateful for Putin's remembering. 'Nuff said.
ELMER FUDD
Lite Registered User

Postby Caz » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:42 pm

Some very valid points on here and it seems those who are posting are in agreement. I'd never thought of politicians claiming expenses for attending services and I agree it stinks, especially considering it's the very same group of people who make the decisions to send our troups to war in the first place! I do agree with the RBL using the BBC for advertising purposes and I think the service does help people to remember, even if it is impersonal.

Yes Elmer! Where is all the support for our ex servicemen? Ross Kemp recently did a TV programme on the 'Invisible Wounded' which related to Post Traumatic Stress Disorder in servicemen and showed just how the country abandons servicemen once they leave the forces. The RBL are a group who understand and help ex-servicemen and their families but they rely on funding from their charitable status, it doesn't come from the government. It's time the country stood up to its problems and looked after those who have done and are still doing something for their country!
Mrs Warsop Web, Warsop born and bred!
http://www.warsopweb.co.uk
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby BigAl » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:58 pm

It will never happen Cas.
When an ex-soldier loses his job he is entitled to nothing, no help getting another job or help towards housing / mortgage costs or any other benefits because he is in receipt of a military pension.
Believe me i have been there, the government do not want to know you.

As for the wearing of medals from another country it is allowed, I myself have a medal given to me by the sultan of Kuwait after the first gulf war, The Liberation Medal, and as long as the relevant paperwork is completed of which the recipient keeps a copy, you are allowed to wear these medals on the end of your medal bar. The only restriction i met with was i was not allowed to wear the miniture on my mess dress.
Screw the padded room, give me a trampoline floor with bubble wrapped walls and a velcro ceiling.
BigAl
Lifetime Registered User

Location: Where the road takes me now i have stopped fighting my inner feelings, we are on the same side now,

Postby ELMER FUDD » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:20 pm

Yes! You are right there Al, YOU are allowed but not ex-service men of WW2. Some daft protocol that has to be observed. Rules is rules as they say.
ELMER FUDD
Lite Registered User

Return to Debates