Warsop Web Community Forum

Warsop Web Homepage | Contact Us

RSS Feed

Winter Fuel Allowance

A place to discuss specific topics amongst the company of other forum members. Voice your opinion and make yourself heard in our variety of debates.
Forum rules
Please READ: Forum Rules & Regulations

Winter Fuel Allowance

Postby Westmorland » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:30 am

Should the Winter Fuel Allowance of £200 for over 60s and £300 for over 80s be stopped for British people who choose to live in other European Countries but still maintain a house or have a post address in the UK? .
Westmorland
Lifetime Registered User

Re: Winter Fuel Allowance

Postby moanersRus » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:25 pm

Yes, if there in another country especially if its a warmer country than this one lol
Of all the things i've lost, i miss my mind the most
moanersRus
Lifetime Registered User

Postby Warsop Person » Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:27 pm

If they have paid into the UK system all thier working life then I don't see see what difference where they live makes. On the other hand you could argue that someone who has not paid their fair share of tax over the years should not receive one.
Warsop Person
Lifetime Registered User

Postby moanersRus » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:18 pm

Warsop Person wrote:If they have paid into the UK system all thier working life then I don't see see what difference where they live makes. On the other hand you could argue that someone who has not paid their fair share of tax over the years should not receive one.

If thats the case the lazt doleys (ones that CAN but WONT work) need to get NOTHING lol
moanersRus
Lifetime Registered User

Postby Westmorland » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:44 pm

Rather than give cash they should give out vouchers for £200/£300 which customers can redeem for that amount against their energy bills, that way the money gets used for the purpose it was meant to help with energy bill payments.
Westmorland
Lifetime Registered User

Postby Andrew Daykin » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:10 pm

Adrian Hardy wrote:Rather than give cash they should give out vouchers for £200/£300 which customers can redeem for that amount against their energy bills, that way the money gets used for the purpose it was meant to help with energy bill payments.

So how would that work for a retired miner getting a coal allowance ?
I'm no expert, so please correct me if I'm wrong.
Andrew Daykin
Super Registered User

Postby Caz » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:29 pm

Andrew Daykin wrote:
Adrian Hardy wrote:Rather than give cash they should give out vouchers for £200/£300 which customers can redeem for that amount against their energy bills, that way the money gets used for the purpose it was meant to help with energy bill payments.

So how would that work for a retired miner getting a coal allowance ?

I think that would work. Whether they get a coal allowance or not, they'd still have leccy and gas bills that they could use vouchers on.
Mrs Warsop Web, Warsop born and bred!
http://www.warsopweb.co.uk
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby tightwadswife » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:35 am

Vouchers? Doesn't that imply our pensioners aren't trustworthy enough to do the right thing? Another form of Government control? Another Govt. Department for the tax payer to fund.('The Office for Winter Fuel Allowance Voucher Counting'?). Just another complication. What next, Food stamps? Anyway, if someone decides to avoid the coldest months and put their allowance towards a few weeks in warmer climes, isn't it still helping them achieve the same objective? Surviving winter?

A contribution based allowance? That would exclude many women including my mother, who didn't pay enough contributions because they worked part time or stayed home to raise children for part of their 'working' lives. ( I myself will fall into the same category).
tightwadswife
Lifetime Registered User

Postby BigAl » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:55 am

As someone spending most of my life out of the country and maintaining a uk address i agree that people like myself should not be allowed to claim. It was my choice to live away from home and therefore i do not and would not claim any sort of benefit. If i couldn't afford to be away from home without benefits then i personally wouldn't be here.

I totally agree that people who have not worked and paid into the system should not receive benefits,
We will claim our pensions though as its our right having payed into at all of our working lives. Still paying ( lol )

The voucher system is a very good idea and would ensure that the correct people are using them for the correct use, its nothing to do with the "oldies" are not trustworthy enough but would actually stop a lot of the claims from abroad as they would be unable to use them, the only drawback i could foresee is that it could open a "black market" ( no pun intended ) for the vouchers within Europe for sale within the uk. As for the coal allowance would the coal board not accept them and reclaim the money as would the other power companies. I can see no reason why they wouldn't.

Its a pity we don't have someones ear in government to have this put forward. :D :D .
Screw the padded room, give me a trampoline floor with bubble wrapped walls and a velcro ceiling.
BigAl
Lifetime Registered User

Location: Where the road takes me now i have stopped fighting my inner feelings, we are on the same side now,

Postby moanersRus » Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:23 pm

I've always said the lazy doleys (yes i say lazy as in CAN work WON'T work) should be on a voucher system, why than they afford to get drunk everynight when i have to wait once in a blue moon and i pay in to pay for them (i know its slightly off topic sorry lol)
moanersRus
Lifetime Registered User

Postby m8tey » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:40 pm

Off topic, but what I can't get my head around is the immigrants in this country, claiming benefits for children back in their own country. Whats that all about?........
TRY IT YOU MIGHT LIKE IT
m8tey
Lifetime Registered User

Return to Debates