Warsop Web Community Forum

Warsop Web Homepage | Contact Us

RSS Feed

Police and Crime Commissioners

A place to discuss specific topics amongst the company of other forum members. Voice your opinion and make yourself heard in our variety of debates.
Forum rules
Please READ: Forum Rules & Regulations

Police and Crime Commissioners

Postby Warsop Person » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:38 am

With the elections taking place very soon for "Police and Crime Commissioners" there appears to be some concern about the predicted turn out. I don't know if this is because of a public confidence in the police issue or support for the new commissioners is very low.

Personally I am in 2 minds if I should vote, the bigger part of me says no I shouldn't because I don't support the move from the police authority (mainly because I don't believe politics should have such control over policing at a local level) and I don't know anything about the candidates that are standing.

Does anyone think this is a move in the right direction?
Warsop Person
Lifetime Registered User

Re: Police and Crime Commissioners

Postby BigAl » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:00 pm

I for one see no point in voting either. ;)

A person from the police federation was on tv yesterday saying the same thing. :D
Screw the padded room, give me a trampoline floor with bubble wrapped walls and a velcro ceiling.
BigAl
Lifetime Registered User

Location: Where the road takes me now i have stopped fighting my inner feelings, we are on the same side now,

Postby ELMER FUDD » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:28 pm

The same old suspects on the make for a few extra bob in these hard times. I vote 'FORGET IT'
ELMER FUDD
Lite Registered User

Postby tightwadswife » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:06 am

According to an article I read, the new (elected) Police and Crime Commissioner is to be a highly visible presence replacing the local Police Authority, which I believe is a panel made up of Independent individuals and representatives from the local authorities etc. Here's a thing, this highly paid Commissioner can be held to account by a panel made up of representatives from the local authorities etc. So no change then really. Are we paying a huge salary just for the pleasure of having a figure head?
I did eventually find information on the internet about the three local candidates but my apathy knows no bounds. I suspect the turnout will be very low.
tightwadswife
Lifetime Registered User

Postby Wizard » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:25 am

I have mentioned the new Commissioners job to quite a few people, and not one of them will be bothering to turn out to cast their vote.
The police have lost one hell of a lot of credibility recently, what with being implicated in the News of the World phone hacking scandal, altering their pocket book records of the Hillsborough disaster, and more recently the records of the Miners strike.
I really can't see why there is money being wasted on a new job, especially when we are all being told to make cut backs!!
I predict the turn out for this farce will be as low as 20%, and that is only if it is a warm day with no rain!!
Wizard
Super Registered User

Postby Warsop Person » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:25 am

I have 2 main gripes with this. Firstly, any decisions taken on the direction and focus of the police will now be taken by 1 individual, it will no longer be a majority decision, so if the individual that gets the job does not have a clue but has lots of friends where does that leave us? Secondly, all the main parties are fielding candidates, so these people are not good enough to be elected as councillors or MP's (not that that is anything to shout about) but they are good enough for this job as long as they tow the party line and allow politics to govern police forces at a local level.
Warsop Person
Lifetime Registered User

Postby Wizard » Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:57 pm

Nottinghamshire's new Police and Crime Commissioner is Paddy Tipping.
It seems my prediction of a turn out of 20% was over estimated, as the actual turn out was less, at only 16.7%.
What a waste of time and money!!
I wonder how long it will take before the job is cancelled, due to lack of interest and spiralling costs!
Wizard
Super Registered User

Postby m8tey » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:18 pm

It's just been on the news, £60,000 to £100,000 per year........
TRY IT YOU MIGHT LIKE IT
m8tey
Lifetime Registered User

Postby whitevanman » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:49 pm

Wizard wrote:Nottinghamshire's new Police and Crime Commissioner is Paddy Tipping.
It seems my prediction of a turn out of 20% was over estimated, as the actual turn out was less, at only 16.7%.
What a waste of time and money!!
I wonder how long it will take before the job is cancelled, due to lack of interest and spiralling costs!

Mansfields overall turnout was only 13.47%
One of Warsops polling booths only attracted 31 voters out of a possible 474, which was only 6.5%

The role is to be re assessed in 4 years to see if it worth it.

I didn't vote as i totally disagreed with the role being invented in the first place and then didn't agree with political parties fielding candidates.
But this now leads to the question..... Even though i disagreed with the role and didn't vote because of this, do i still have the right to argue their decisions?
whitevanman
Moderator Team Member
Moderator Team Member

Postby BigAl » Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:30 pm

Of course you do Whitey, we do still live in a democratic ( sort of ) country. :D :D
Screw the padded room, give me a trampoline floor with bubble wrapped walls and a velcro ceiling.
BigAl
Lifetime Registered User

Location: Where the road takes me now i have stopped fighting my inner feelings, we are on the same side now,

Postby Caz » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:48 pm

I didn't vote. I didn't even find our polling cards until today, they'd been put in the porch behind a plant. I didn't have a clue what the voting was about anyway as I haven't had any information through the door or anything and I didn't have a clue who the candidates were. How on earth can anyone be expected to vote under such circumstances? :roll:
Mrs Warsop Web, Warsop born and bred!
http://www.warsopweb.co.uk
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby tightwadswife » Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:39 am

Who said that the Police Authority Panel needed reorganisation anyway? Who came up with the idea that we needed a highly paid figurehead? I don't remember the electorate being consulted on the matter. I suspect this change to the system was decided by some dictator down in Westminster, and as an expensive afterthought, (and to give the appearance of democracy) we were allowed to choose our very own Police and Crime Commissioner. Very gracious of them...
In fact, the majority of us had no idea who the local candidates were, so how are we to judge if they are capable of doing the job?
Anyone who did vote has inadvertently taken part in an undemocratic sham.
Voting slips should have had a "No change to the present system" box.
tightwadswife
Lifetime Registered User

Postby moanersRus » Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:46 am

i never heard anything about it i had the polling cards but if no-one can post me information on what its about (i dont watch news as it does not come on disney junior lol) then i cant be bothered to vote, anyway i was in egypt for the last day and could not get a taxi lol
Of all the things i've lost, i miss my mind the most
moanersRus
Lifetime Registered User

Postby Caz » Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:37 am

Whitey is the only person I've actually spoken to who really knows what the voting was about. Everyone else I've spoken to is as clueless as me! That's how fair and democratic it was! :roll:
Mrs Warsop Web, Warsop born and bred!
http://www.warsopweb.co.uk
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby Warsop Person » Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:43 am

I did not vote, not because I did not know anything about the candidates, because I felt that if I voted I would be endorsing the role of a PCC with which I do not agree. Westminster have put a load of spin on the elections using the media over the last few months saying that they are expecting a low turnout because the candidates have not done enough to publicise themselves, when in actual fact people were not going to vote because they did not agree with abolishment of Police Authorities.

What we are now left with, in this area at least because the PCC is a politician, is a PCC that is being paid a salary of &75,000.00 for towing a political party line and ensuring that the direction if our police force source follows the policies of his political party and not the wishes of those he is supposed to represent and the force us supposed to protect.

For those that are still on the fence, there is a scrutiny panel (with minimal powers) that has been set up to oversee the work of the PCC in every area. The vice chair for the Nottinghamshire panel is Tony Eggington...,.....
Warsop Person
Lifetime Registered User

Next

Return to Debates