Warsop Web Community Forum

Warsop Web Homepage | Contact Us

RSS Feed

Is modern technology addictive?

A place to discuss specific topics amongst the company of other forum members. Voice your opinion and make yourself heard in our variety of debates.
Forum rules
Please READ: Forum Rules & Regulations

Is modern technology addictive?

Postby tightwadswife » Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:47 am

Yesterday evening, the "Tonight" programme on ITV took a look at how modern technology is taking over our lives.
Could you live without your ipad, laptop, mobile phone? Would you die of boredom if you couldn't play online games?
Would you get withdrawal symptoms if you had no contact with your facebook, twitter, chatrooms, even this forum?
I can - and do - survive happily without a mobile. I think I could ditch the telly, but if I had no computer I'd miss my emails (and this forum of course :) ).
Have we been brainwashed into believing we can't exist without these gadgets? Or are our lives enriched by them?
tightwadswife
Lifetime Registered User

Re: Is modern technology addictive?

Postby whitevanman » Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:44 pm

It is very addictive, i find it very hard to put my slide rule down.
whitevanman
Moderator Team Member
Moderator Team Member

Postby tightwadswife » Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:48 pm

Have you got one of those little 'ready reckoner' books aswell whitey. Could help with the tax return. :lol:
tightwadswife
Lifetime Registered User

Postby BigAl » Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:32 pm

Do your tax return on line and they do the figures for you :lol: :lol:
Screw the padded room, give me a trampoline floor with bubble wrapped walls and a velcro ceiling.
BigAl
Lifetime Registered User

Location: Where the road takes me now i have stopped fighting my inner feelings, we are on the same side now,

Postby tightwadswife » Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:34 pm

I'm told that 'online' is the only way you can do your tax returns these days. What if you aren't savvy with modern technology. What if you don't own a computer?
Will it become compulsory to own one in the future?
tightwadswife
Lifetime Registered User

Postby BigAl » Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:20 pm

We do ours online as we are over here in the sunny place and we havn't had any problems for the last 4 years. The system is simple and easy to do. :D

Its better than paying the fine for not sending in a return because you have no computer :) and the tax office is very reluctant to give out information of other methods of doing it and i can see how people can get into problems. From what i remember from the forms we had to fill in they were quite complicated.

I would imagine living as we do away from home, without some technology could be difficult and i personally keep my mobile on 24/7 so i can be contacted by family immediately and we of course are on the lap tops daily. I do not have english tv out here, apart from sky and bbc news and i do not miss it at all. :D :D
Screw the padded room, give me a trampoline floor with bubble wrapped walls and a velcro ceiling.
BigAl
Lifetime Registered User

Location: Where the road takes me now i have stopped fighting my inner feelings, we are on the same side now,

Postby m8tey » Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:27 am

I could do without the telly, but I love my Kindle and my laptop........ :D
TRY IT YOU MIGHT LIKE IT
m8tey
Lifetime Registered User

Postby Warsop Person » Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:18 am

I think there is a big distinction between not being able to do without it and being addicted. I would miss my phone but it is not glued to my hand, I would miss my iPad but I don't pick it up every day, I would miss my Laptop but I only use it a couple if times a week and i would miss the TV but I only watch it s couple if times a week. Part if that us down to the fact that I am always on the phone and in front if a PC at work and want a break from it all when I get home.

There are on the other hand people who clearly spend the majority of there waking hours in front of a computer, on a tablet or on a phone for example, these are the people that I would call addicted and even obsessed. I am not do sure it is the technology as in the hardware, it is what's on them that is the addictive part, it is designed to lure people in and keep them hooked, unfortunately there are a lot of people that don't see it and become a victim if the mind control games that the content manufacturers play.
Warsop Person
Lifetime Registered User

Postby ELMER FUDD » Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:17 pm

Why people become addicted is the question. Some 'experts' say it's in the genes while others say it's simply weak will. Hard to say who's right or nearly right. Alcohol, tobacco and drugs are old hat addictions. The technology thing is a comparatively recent phenomenon but, as WP pointed out, it's not the gadgets as such but what they provide that causes the problems. Facebook and Twitter are the attractions for some poor individuals who lay bare their whole lives to 'friends' they have never met. Bebo and Myspace I'm told are other network sites that have hooked the gullible.
The TV, a box sitting in the corner of the room is innocent enough in itself but has become the main focus of practically every home. Where once the family sat around the table to dine and chat they now sit goggle-eyed in front of the box, unaware of what they are eating, ignoring other family members as they live a proxy life through their favourite soap opera. They even have pet names for some of those addictive shows.
The mobile phone. This must be the daddy of all sources of addiction ever dreamed up by homo sapiens. Lives have been taken over completely by this device. I have seen alcholics, sweat pouring from the brow, eyes bulging from their sockets as they begged for just one sip of their poison. From the antics of some mobile users I see around I would not at all be surprised to see a similar reaction if they were to be deprived of their toy.
Lord! Preserve us from further technological advances, amen
ELMER FUDD
Lite Registered User

Postby Gazzer » Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:35 pm

I don't think it's more of an addiction, I think we all rely on technology more these days one way or another whether it be for a business purpose or a social purpose.
It's provided us with a better way of living, but of course that's had a knock on affect - everything has become automated over the years and prospects for people have reduced - but that' a different story.

You only have to see what happens when the mobile network goes down, or we have a power cut - and people can't cope. :lol:
Gazzer
Support & Development Team Leader
Support & Development Team Leader

Postby BigAl » Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:15 pm

After seeing what happens to the country when there is a couple of inches of snow :D the thought of the country being without technology for 3 or 4 days terrifies me. :lol: :lol:
Forget road rage and stand by for wholesale murder :lol: :lol: :lol:
BigAl
Lifetime Registered User

Postby tightwadswife » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:58 am

We were chestnutting yesterday. It was lovely. The sun was shining, birds were singing - so relaxing. Then my daughter received an email on her phone which she just had to read and answer. Not a text, an email. It's everywhere. :roll:
Addiction or not I think the younger generation are far more reliant on technology, they've grown up with it.
Some of us can remember a time before it took over our lives. If it all went down for a day or two we oldies might come into our own... :D
tightwadswife
Lifetime Registered User

Postby Warsop Person » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:55 am

I tend to leave my mobiles at home a lot at the weekend and if I do take either of them out with me I ignore them unless it is something important. I don't think it is a generation thing either, I think it is just an individual thing.
Warsop Person
Lifetime Registered User

Postby moanersRus » Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:02 pm

my phone rings AND has a feature which says the name or place of the person calling (depending what i put in the contacts name) i dont even have to take the phone out my pocket if i dont want to speak to them lmao
Of all the things i've lost, i miss my mind the most
moanersRus
Lifetime Registered User

Postby Caz » Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:38 pm

I've just come back from a lovely peaceful few days in the Scottish Highlands, where I've had no phone reception and no internet and it's been bliss!!!! I had no adverse withdrawal symptoms. I've enjoyed the scenery, the weather, the peace and quite of the layed back life wih no modern distractions, no TV and no radio (we had both but didn't bother with them) we had nothing at all to distract from the things that really take my breath away. I've sat painting with my watercolours taking in the colours of nature and sunsets and appreciating the calm of the water, the birds singing, the leaves falling and everything around me. I've engaged in conversation, by mouth, rather than text and e.mail and I've really laughed out loud, rather than lol'ing. It really has been tranquil and rejuvinating.

Yet, for the past 17 years I've relied on technology for work and as soon as I got home I switched on my laptop to open my e.mails and put on the telly to get back to 'normal'. Yes, I think we rely on technology but that's the way of the world, we've moved on! Yes, I think some people are addicted to the content, but technology is just a way of modern life. Actually, we booked the holiday and everything online. :roll:

I agree TWW, when we get power cuts, that's when us oldies really shine. :)
Mrs Warsop Web, Warsop born and bred!
http://www.warsopweb.co.uk
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Return to Debates