Warsop Web Community Forum

Warsop Web Homepage | Contact Us

RSS Feed

Town or Village

A place to discuss specific topics amongst the company of other forum members. Voice your opinion and make yourself heard in our variety of debates.
Forum rules
Please READ: Forum Rules & Regulations

Re: Town or Village

Postby BigAl » Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:13 pm

:D :D :D :D :D

Its parked next to all our aircraft carriers

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Screw the padded room, give me a trampoline floor with bubble wrapped walls and a velcro ceiling.
BigAl
Lifetime Registered User

Location: Where the road takes me now i have stopped fighting my inner feelings, we are on the same side now,

Postby m8tey » Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:22 pm

Didn't Warsop used to have a daily indoor market? behind what is now sure start........
TRY IT YOU MIGHT LIKE IT
m8tey
Lifetime Registered User

Postby Caz » Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:57 am

Yes there was an indoor market there, in the building that was once the bus depot but that was only there for a few years in the late sixties, early seventies. The building was split in two when the new road went through, KayJay's eventually had the part on York Terrace and Top Cat had the part on Church Street. We then had a market in the Town Hall car park for a short time.

It seems we've had a market on and off throughout history, but in recent years I think it's been more off, than on!
Mrs Warsop Web, Warsop born and bred!
http://www.warsopweb.co.uk
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby mikeC » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:04 am

BigAl wrote:I was under the impression that for a "Market town" to get the " Market " bit , it had to have a market, not a couple of stalls one day a week but a daily market like Mansfield, there are always some stalls open on the "Market place". :D :D

How doe's this leave Shirebrook :?: :?: They have two or three markets a week but its not called Market Shirebrook" :lol: :lol:

I love these "olde worlde" laws :roll: :roll:

Did you know that you can still be hung in England for stealing a battleship :lol: :lol: :lol:

So do we now all bow down to the great god that is called Market Mansfield?
mikeC
Lite Registered User

Postby m8tey » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:06 am

Mansfield used to have a great market. Have you been there lately? It's rubbish. Half a dozen stalls and some fairground rides.........
TRY IT YOU MIGHT LIKE IT
m8tey
Lifetime Registered User

Postby Caz » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:16 pm

At one time Mansfield was advertised as having the largest outdoor market in the East Midlands! What happened?
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby Westmorland » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:21 pm

Caz wrote:At one time Mansfield was advertised as having the largest outdoor market in the East Midlands! What happened?

they built on it
Westmorland
Lifetime Registered User

Postby BigAl » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:37 pm

M.D.C. :lol:
Screw the padded room, give me a trampoline floor with bubble wrapped walls and a velcro ceiling.
BigAl
Lifetime Registered User

Location: Where the road takes me now i have stopped fighting my inner feelings, we are on the same side now,

Postby mikeC » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:14 am

Caz wrote:At one time Mansfield was advertised as having the largest outdoor market in the East Midlands! What happened?

I don't think Mansfield has ever had a larger market than Chesterfield - certainly not in the last fifty years.
mikeC
Lite Registered User

Postby mikkimack » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:48 pm

Looking in... from the outside.....I would say that Market Warsop is a village.....and is better that way in my view..and it would be nice if all people used....."Market Warsop".....not Warsop....all the signs say Market Warsop ???...perhaps not...Town Hall was the seat of the local authority way back before being joined to Mansfield........a village hall in a village is used by the people for all sorts of events...and is not usually a council seat...unless there is no other venue.....???....but of course, I might be totally wrong..!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.best to you all :D
mikkimack
Lite Registered User

Postby moanersRus » Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:11 pm

The "market" was dropped years ago and thus the natives called it warsop. its only fairly recent that the signs have been reverted back to Market warsop, after i beleive a campaign by some locals. and its taking its time. virtually everyone refers to it as Market warsop on paper but verbally its just easier to call it warsop
Of all the things i've lost, i miss my mind the most
moanersRus
Lifetime Registered User

Postby BigAl » Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:18 pm

So what is the official address then :?: Market Warsop, Mansfield, Notts or just Warsop :?: :?: Wonder where the post office stands on this :lol: :lol: :lol:

Methinks if i put Market Warsop on a letter its got more chance of ending up in America or somewhere like that :roll:
BigAl
Lifetime Registered User

Postby Caz » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:03 pm

The official address is Market Warsop. When I say Warsop, I mean the parish of Warsop, which includes Church Warsop, Market Warsop, Warsop Vale, Spion Kop and Meden Vale, which was renamed from Welbeck Colliery Village and some still call Welbeck. Note we all used to call it Welbeck and not its full name of Welbeck Colliery Village! Confused? You should be! :lol:
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby Wizard » Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:57 am

BigAl wrote:So what is the official address then :?: Market Warsop, Mansfield, Notts or just Warsop :?: :?: Wonder where the post office stands on this :lol: :lol: :lol:

Methinks if i put Market Warsop on a letter its got more chance of ending up in America or somewhere like that :roll:

If you type a Warsop address into Royal Mails POSTCODE FINDER, using "Market Warsop" instead of just "Warsop", it doesn't come up with the post code.
To be honest with you, I never call it Market Warsop, as I never knew it as that when I was a kid.
(You never heard anyone say "Do you come from Market Warsop" if you left the door open!!
Equally, I always refer to Meden Vale as Welbeck when speaking to people (Although I do use Meden Vale in all mailings, as it is the address recognised by Royal Mail)
Wizard
Super Registered User

Postby Caz » Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:26 am

Old habits die hard. It's alien to use a new name when you've grown up with it being something different. Just like when you still call old female friends by their maiden names. It's not that long ago that Warsop put the Market back in front of its name and I don't know when it was ever used before or ever dropped in the first place.

When I was looking for the market charters I found that it was once called Warsop Fair Town, because we had two annual fairs, but I don't know the history of the 'Market' bit. We've previously had a discussion on here about the change of name to Meden Vale and I think we agreed that happened in the 70's.

[edit] Link to that topic http://forum.warsopweb.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4636
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Previous

Return to Debates