Warsop Web Community Forum

Warsop Web Homepage | Contact Us

RSS Feed

Social Network Websites?

A place to discuss specific topics amongst the company of other forum members. Voice your opinion and make yourself heard in our variety of debates.
Forum rules
Please READ: Forum Rules & Regulations

Social Network Websites?

Postby Caz » Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:54 pm

What are people's views on social networking sites such as Facebook and Twitter?

I very rarely use Twitter but I have a Facebook account, though I hardly ever go on that either. I did like some of the games on facebook but I've stopped playing them now as I managed to download a virus from one of the ads I inadvertantly and stupidly clicked on. :roll:

I think social networking sites are great for long lost or distant relatives contacting each other, but I find it tedious when people post one liners that mean nothing to anyone other than themselves.
Mrs Warsop Web, Warsop born and bred!
http://www.warsopweb.co.uk
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Re: Social Network Websites?

Postby Westmorland » Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:36 pm

I used to be on Farcebook, but deleted my account as I just couldn't see the point of it. There are these people who have around 400 hundred or more so called 'Friends'. People meet other people maybe only once or twice and all of a sudden they are friends on Farcebook.

My true friends who are small in number, we email/text/phone each other as its more personal.

I use Twitter as you can follow debates and interesting projects which have meaning and find out things on a wide range of issues, without actually becoming so called Friends with people.

Warsop Web is also different as you can comment and debate things and it is a safe site as well, and most people do know each other to some extent and its moderated

The trouble with these chat rooms and social networking sites is unless you have some idea or know the person you are talking to, you could be talking to anyone and events in the news over the years has sadly proved this theory correct with tragic and worrying results

So for me its email. Twitter and Warsop Web :D
Westmorland
Lifetime Registered User

Postby Caz » Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:23 pm

I do agree with what you say about facebook Adrian. I got a bit fed up of getting e.mails from people wanting to be 'friends', which is a bit pointless as I rarely ever post anything, so I'm a bit boring as a friend on there and if friend x has something to say to friend z, it's none of my business really and it's usually something trivial anyway. If I have something to say to my friends, I prefer to say it in personal conversation, rather than everyone knowing. I think it's somewhere for people to hang their dirty washing most of the time and I'd rather not get involved.

I can't remember my log in on Twitter as it's such a long time since I used it, but it is a more specific site as you say, where you can choose what you follow.

Warsop Web isn't really a social networking site though. It's a community site, meant to keep locals informed and advised about local issues and events. The forum is for locals to have their say about what's happening in the community and for bringing together like minded people with interests in local issues, as well as providing a link for ex-Warsopians to keep in touch. Although it does generate some interesting debates and gets interesting at times! :D
Mrs Warsop Web, Warsop born and bred!
http://www.warsopweb.co.uk
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby BigAl » Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:59 pm

I have a face book account but i do not use it as anything other than keeping in touch with the family back home and in Germany. My friends list is restricted and i really have no interest in who goes to the loo with who and which hand they used to wipe their a**. ( I actually saw that post on there )
Have never looked at twitter so i have no comment on it and to be honest from what iv'e heard no interest in it either.
I do have an MSN account where i can talk to friends and family either by " chat " email and messenger and that is also restricted to who i want on the list.
Believe it or not i still write letters, lol,( Mam and Dad don't have any type of computer)

I naturally have the Warsop web to keep in touch with happenings back home and a few groups to do with caravaning, fishing and sports which i have been a member of for a few years now. Of course i have the "Forces reunited " site where i can keep in touch with old comrades.

These social networks sites are a haven for some people but not me. I also do not agree with the security shown by most of them. The proof of that is normally seen on sky news etc etc. when some poor kid turns up dead or seriously injured.

To sum up, I recon that the network websites are useful but dangerous and tend to steer away from them.

Each to his own :D :D Have fun
Screw the padded room, give me a trampoline floor with bubble wrapped walls and a velcro ceiling.
BigAl
Lifetime Registered User

Location: Where the road takes me now i have stopped fighting my inner feelings, we are on the same side now,

Return to Debates