Warsop Web Community Forum

Warsop Web Homepage | Contact Us

RSS Feed

Accident Blackspot

A place to discuss specific topics amongst the company of other forum members. Voice your opinion and make yourself heard in our variety of debates.
Forum rules
Please READ: Forum Rules & Regulations

Accident Blackspot

Postby Westmorland » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:41 am

Cuckney Hill has become an accident blackspot. What improvements if any can be made to the road to increase safety.

Speed in any accident is a major factor, so should the road between the church and Cuckney become a 40MPH limit?
Westmorland
Lifetime Registered User

Re: Accident Blackspot

Postby Wizard » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:55 am

Lowering the speed limit from 60MPH down to 50MPH hasn't made any difference, so why should it be lowered even further?
No one knows if speed was a contributing factor in the latest fatality anyway.
It is no good imposing a lower speed limit unless there is something, or someone there to enforce it.
The only fool proof way to stop people speeding is to have the average speed cameras installed at the bottom of Cuckney Hill and the another one at the Crossroads in Cuckney.
But it won't happen because of the cost involved.
Wizard
Super Registered User

Postby moanersRus » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:03 am

for all we know the weather could have affected and aqua planed but no-one knows what happened yet
Of all the things i've lost, i miss my mind the most
moanersRus
Lifetime Registered User

Postby Tomas Drouty » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:00 am

In my opinion speed limits only affect sensible drivers who abide by them. That road is fine and navigable at 60mph if care and attention is observed. As mentioned, we don't know what the causes of the latest accident were - perhaps aqua planing was a factor, maybe a mechanical fault developed in one vehicle, maybe one was trying to U-turn on the brow, maybe one was going too fast. Whatever reason, a family is in mourning today and we just don't know if it was down to the road or human error.
Tomas Drouty
Moderator Team Leader
Moderator Team Leader

Postby Westmorland » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:50 pm

I am not just on about this tragic accident, I am talking about all the accidents that have happened on this stretch of road over the last few year. The accidents show how important it has been to keep a fire appliance at Warsop to cut people free quickly.

I suppose the only way to stop people speeding and over taking would be to put up a motorway style barrier in the centre of the road
Westmorland
Lifetime Registered User

Postby Caz » Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:30 pm

Things have already been put in place to try to reduce accidents there and they obviously haven't worked. The only way to stop accidents on that road or any other, is to close the road altogether.

I agree with TD, regardless of how it happened, a family is in mourning today and will be for some time, plus two other families have been severely affected, so we should be considering their feelings. Speculating and looking for solutions isn't going to help anyone right now.

My thoughts and sincere condolences are with the family and friends of those involved.
Mrs Warsop Web, Warsop born and bred!
http://www.warsopweb.co.uk
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby Westmorland » Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:42 pm

You need a campaign putting in place that will focus on the motto of 'Drive to Stay Alive.' Traffic lights need putting in place at the first Cuckney Crossroads which will help reduce speed and if necessary road bumps need adding.

I understand a family somewhere is grieving but further improvements need to be put in place. Its no good asking the Warsop Parish Council because the are bloody useless.
Westmorland
Lifetime Registered User

Postby moanersRus » Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:17 pm

i remember this beeing posted on here a while back

http://www.crashmap.co.uk/Search
moanersRus
Lifetime Registered User

Postby Westmorland » Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:35 pm

Quite a few serious ones on Sycamore Street? :shock: :?
Westmorland
Lifetime Registered User

Postby johno » Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:51 pm

A little incident on cuckney hill at 1pm today with a white van that overtook me crossing solid white line right near the fatality on wed night. This prompted me to report to the police accident investigation unit and i spoke with a guy called mark who informed me that in a few days there could be a camera somewhere to monitor the situation, watch this space i think . I have also passed on the info to notts highways dept. cheers Johno. ps I was doing 48-49 mph. If something had come over the hill the otherway god forbid. I must also say that to much speed was not an issue today.
johno
Lite Registered User

Postby whitevanman » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:59 pm

When i passed the Carrs this morning, i noticed long skid marks on the road just after the bend coming out of Warsop. When i looked further, the long skid marks was followed by a brush with a lampost, a hefty impact on the old engineering cottage and a wrecked car outside The Mill.
I suspect he/she was going "just a tad" over 30 when he/she lost it :roll:
whitevanman
Moderator Team Member
Moderator Team Member

Postby moanersRus » Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:23 am

i remember a few years back coming home from work there was a car in the river just before the mill wall. He had just had an argument with his girlfriend and was speeding off home mis judged the corner and landed in the bottom of the weir!!!!
moanersRus
Lifetime Registered User

Postby Caz » Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:01 am

whitevanman wrote:When i passed the Carrs this morning, i noticed long skid marks on the road just after the bend coming out of Warsop. When i looked further, the long skid marks was followed by a brush with a lampost, a hefty impact on the old engineering cottage and a wrecked car outside The Mill.
I suspect he/she was going "just a tad" over 30 when he/she lost it :roll:

Sounds like the incident I nearly got tangled with last year. I was coming into Warsop and a car coming the other way lost it on the bend, skidded across my path, skimmed the cottage, just missed the lamp post, skidded back onto the road behind me, then back again into the verge and came to rest at the bollards by the mill. Frightened the living daylights out of me, my mum and two sisters who were my passengers. The driver admitted he was going too fast, although I didn't think it looked like he was, but he was obviously driving too fast for the road conditions and if I'd been ten metres further along the road he'd have hit me!
Mrs Warsop Web, Warsop born and bred!
http://www.warsopweb.co.uk
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Return to Debates