Warsop Web Community Forum

Warsop Web Homepage | Contact Us

RSS Feed

A Surveillance State

A place to discuss specific topics amongst the company of other forum members. Voice your opinion and make yourself heard in our variety of debates.
Forum rules
Please READ: Forum Rules & Regulations

A Surveillance State

Postby tightwadswife » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:04 am

Are we becoming some Orwellian State? Why does 'big brother' feel the need to monitor our every move, our every word?
I'm talking about the governments proposed 'snoopers charter'. If it isn't bad enough we have the most surveillance cameras per head of population they now propose to make it legal for government monitoring of our emails, facebook, texts and phone conversations.
No doubt they've been doing it illegally anyway and we'd be foolish to think otherwise. So now they trot out Theresa May with that old chestnut 'they're protecting us from paedophiles and terrorists' - just preying on peoples fears.
Another excuse to spy on us, another form of control. :x
Do we need protecting from our own government?
tightwadswife
Lifetime Registered User

Re: A Surveillance State

Postby whitevanman » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:37 am

This puts us on a par with the despot regimes such as North Korea,Syria, China etc. who knows what they will do with this information and were will it end up.

Too many people are apathetic about these types of moves and say that if we have nothing to hide, we have nothing to worry about. That is not the point, even though i have nothing to hide i'm really uncomfortable about all this data about us being collected. The government have a habit of changing laws quite quickly to suit themselves, so who knows what law you will fall foul to when they have all this info. One example, who would have thought, 5 years ago that you could be heavily fined or even jailed for putting the wrong rubbish in the wrong bin.

In today's paper there are suggestions that they may be backtracking, but again is this just a delaying tactic to bring it in when we have forgot about it?
whitevanman
Moderator Team Member
Moderator Team Member

Postby Caz » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:51 am

I agree with you Whitey. I keep thinking I've nothing to hide, but I'm still uncomfortable about being snooped on in such detail. Google recently anounced it was monitoring searches as well, so they are able to build a profile of each of us. I've already seen the results of this over the past few weeks, because some websites I've visited are showing adverts for things I've recently searched for.

Yesterday I was googling wash basin taps and this morning two website's I've been on have adverts for taps! It's unerving!
Mrs Warsop Web, Warsop born and bred!
http://www.warsopweb.co.uk
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby tightwadswife » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:21 am

They'll probably rush it through next time our attention is diverted by the petrol fiasco whitey.
Caz, I don't even have to google things. They definitely scan my emails for key words. I only have to mention that we may go to the caravan and ads for 'Caravan Holidays in Weymouth' appear like magic. My friend in America emails and tells me about the weather in South Carolina and ads appear for 'Fly Drive holidays to Charleston'.
I know this is only advertising but what else are 'they' picking up about me?
I don't think I've anything to hide but could they misconstrue some perfectly innocent remark? ( I've said some snotty things about the Republican party recently :?)
tightwadswife
Lifetime Registered User

Postby Caz » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:00 pm

I don't know what they expect to achieve by this to be honest. If potential terrorists want to communicate, surely they'd do it in code and automated tracking isn't likely to identify covert messages and manually sifting is just not viable with the millions of messages sent each day. I know there are some stupidly obvious admissions on social network websites that have ended in convictions, but they're obvious without a need for snooping further.

My other concern is that if the government can snoop, so can hackers! Therefore any personal information they collect, can also get into the wrong hands and provide intelligence for the less scrupulous!
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby whitevanman » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:39 pm

Anybody with anything to hide can quite easily hide behind proxy servers. These days you can even communicate, discretely, using Play Stations and X Box's.
The people, who for some reason, need to communicate in code know this and so do the government. So, in my mind, this is aimed totally at normal Joe Public.

Anyway, what about this from the Tory manifesto just before the last election...........as if you would believe it anyway.

2010 tory manifesto wrote:We will scale back Labour’s database state and protect the privacy of the public’s information. We will introduce a balanced approach to the retention of people’s DNA and reform the criminal records system so it protects children without destroying trust. Labour have subjected Britain’s historic freedoms to unprecedented attack. They have trampled on liberties and, in their place, compiled huge databases to track the activities of millions of perfectly innocent people, giving public bodies extraordinary powers to intervene in the way we live our lives. The impact of this has been profound and far reaching. Trust has been replaced by suspicion.

The database state is a poor substitute for the human judgement essential to the delivery of public services. Worse than that, it gives people false comfort that an infallible central state is looking after their best interests. But the many scandals of lost data, leaked documents and database failures have put millions at risk. It is time for a new approach to protecting our liberty.
whitevanman
Moderator Team Member
Moderator Team Member

Postby Caz » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:03 pm

It looks like the government are now taking a step back from this. Maybe someone's reminded them just how many government departments have so far managed to get data stolen or lost and they realise they'd could be collecting data that would be very valuable to certain groups! :roll:
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby ELMER FUDD » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:45 pm

.Whitey got it right. Apathy is the big problem in this country and the authorities take advantage of it whenever it suits them. Big Brother marches on and does his job in a far more clever manner than Hitler ever thought of.
According to reports today, Eastwood council have given a 73 year old man three weeks to vacate his allotment. He said he had received a 'bullying' letter demanding a medical assessment to prove he was fit enough to garden. Here's the real rub: the letter stated they were 'aware' he had a hip problem. Who made the council 'aware' of the man's problem? Do they plant spies in allotments to check out the health of the elderly folk who enjoy pottering around these places? Is a tail put on everyone on being alloted a site? Are neighbours being bribed to keep tabs? Who else is being watched as they go about their business by these Big Brother stooges? Snooping on our emails is only another small step in taking total control of our lives. It would appear the foreign terrorist is the least of our worries, it's enslavement by those we elect to serve us that seems to be the real threat to our children's future.
ELMER FUDD
Lite Registered User

Postby whitevanman » Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:42 pm

It will be a fantastic money spinner, as from an office, people can be fined for all sorts of crimes. Do not forget the unfortunate lads that made a joke of the riots on Facebook, and then got thrown into jail for it. You could be fined for even associating with deviants etc, and tweaking the law makes it illegal.

Meanwhile while the plebs are being fined, and imprisoned for minor things, those at the top end of the economic scale are swindling everyone out of future pensions, saving and the rest. Such people do not need monitoring do they??? So its one law for the plebs, and no law at all for those that can afford a good lawyer

Work it out, it is just a way of screwing you all, while making you feel its justifiable.

In the future writing things like this could be regarded as causing trouble and a fine would help the government fill the bank's coffers which is what its really all about.
whitevanman
Moderator Team Member
Moderator Team Member

Postby Caz » Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:41 pm

It will most likely mean the end of freedom of speech as well becasue everyone will be too scared to voice an opinion and even if we have one it won't matter, so eventually we'll be able to stop thinking. It's a bit like those Sc Fi films where everyone looks the same and moves the same. All clones of each other.
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby BigAl » Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:56 pm

Oh no !
Lots of Cas'es walking about :D :D

NNNnNnnnnnooooooo :lol: :lol:

As for the subject its been going on for years, i actually had 3 points on my licence and a £60 fine a few years ago when i was on the lorries. I was stuck in the centre of a junction behind cars when the lights changed and because the lorry i was driving blocked the other cars from the cctv camera i was adjudged to have run the lights. Not traffic light camera i hasten to add the cctv camera on a building on the junction was the evidence against me.
Screw the padded room, give me a trampoline floor with bubble wrapped walls and a velcro ceiling.
BigAl
Lifetime Registered User

Location: Where the road takes me now i have stopped fighting my inner feelings, we are on the same side now,

Return to Debates