Warsop Web Community Forum

Warsop Web Homepage | Contact Us

RSS Feed

The Scotish question

A place to discuss specific topics amongst the company of other forum members. Voice your opinion and make yourself heard in our variety of debates.
Forum rules
Please READ: Forum Rules & Regulations

The Scotish question

Postby BigAl » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:23 pm

Whats your oppinion on the ongoing discussions about Scotland having their own rule ??

Personally I think it should be up to the public in Scotland to decide and Cameron should keep his nose out of it.
The Scotish parliment should be allowed to hold the vote when they want
It should be a simple "do you want home rule" ? .. Yes or No

The rest can be sorted at a later date.
Screw the padded room, give me a trampoline floor with bubble wrapped walls and a velcro ceiling.
BigAl
Lifetime Registered User

Location: Where the road takes me now i have stopped fighting my inner feelings, we are on the same side now,

Re: The Scotish question

Postby Tomas Drouty » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:38 pm

Why not? They do things differently up there anyway. Same as in Wales.
No tuition fees for students in Scotland. No prescription charges for people in Wales. England has both of these.
Tomas Drouty
Moderator Team Leader
Moderator Team Leader

Postby Caz » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:05 pm

Ultimately, I think the Scottish people should have their say and decide how they run their country and if it means independance, so be it. Cameron has to have a say in it, as he's currently their PM but he should be listening to what the Scottish people want.

However, it seems the majority of Scotts don't want independance - though that's only what the press will have us belive, so maybe it should go to a vote. There's been quite a lot in the news lately about company's saying they'll relocate south of the border if Scotland breaks away, so their economy will suffer if they do.

As TD says, they have their own laws etc, so why not have their own government? Though I don't think having their own laws as a reason not to be governed by a British Government because in America, each state has it's own laws, yet their governed by one body. What I don't understand though is how uni fees and prescriptions can be free in Scotland and not in England when they both come under the same government. Does that mean those of us in England are subsidising Scotland? In fact England is the only country in the UK that pays for prescriptions, they're free in N Ireland, Wales and Scotland! How does that work?
Mrs Warsop Web, Warsop born and bred!
http://www.warsopweb.co.uk
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby tightwadswife » Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:35 am

I believe we are subsidising their uni fees and free precriptions and are we also paying for unemployment benefits etc.?
How else would such a small population be able to raise the revenue required?
How well would it work if this small population became independent and had to raise it's own taxes etc? :?
tightwadswife
Lifetime Registered User

Postby moanersRus » Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:43 pm

If they get home rule i say lets rebuild the wall keep them out lmao
Of all the things i've lost, i miss my mind the most
moanersRus
Lifetime Registered User

Postby Digger » Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:06 pm

Let them have their referendum and if successful let them go. They stop getting their excessive subsidies from the rest of the UK, they take their share of the UK debt, they will have to accept the Euro if they apply to join the EC, etc.... Let them get on with it.
I wish I was fishing
Digger
Lifetime Registered User

Return to Debates