Warsop Web Community Forum

Warsop Web Homepage | Contact Us

RSS Feed

Carnival 2013

The community's biggest event of the year. Discuss ideas for the next carnival, make suggestions and read latest meeting notes. This is your opportunity to contribute.
Forum rules
Please READ: Forum Rules & Regulations

Re: Carnival 2013

Postby Caz » Fri May 24, 2013 11:27 pm

You can contact Tania at the Town Hall. tbarlow@warsop-pc.gov.uk
Mrs Warsop Web, Warsop born and bred!
http://www.warsopweb.co.uk
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby Westmorland » Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:57 pm

Is the carnival going ahead as I have not seen any posters up?
Westmorland
Lifetime Registered User

Postby Caz » Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:04 pm

It's on 7th July.
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby Westmorland » Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:35 pm

has the funfair arrived yet
Westmorland
Lifetime Registered User

Postby Crafty » Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:19 am

I take there's going to be a float procession as per usual this year? As I live on the usual route it would be nice to be forewarned as in previous years if its taking the same route, not that all my neighbours are considerate and move vehicles that could obstruct the route!!!
i just usually have my food shopping delivered 11-12 on a Sunday and I dont think the procession needs a Tesco van in it, theyre not very superheroish :)
Crafty
Lite Registered User

Postby twiggy » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:06 pm

So glad the carnival is going ahead this year, and Im glad that the last lottery fund meeting I was at put forward the money as requested :) it all helps.
Im just wondering if anybody knows what time the floats leave the swallows and what time they are estimated to arrive at the Carrs??
Many Thanks x
twiggy
Lite Registered User

Postby twiggy » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:07 pm

Crafty wrote:I take there's going to be a float procession as per usual this year? As I live on the usual route it would be nice to be forewarned as in previous years if its taking the same route, not that all my neighbours are considerate and move vehicles that could obstruct the route!!!
i just usually have my food shopping delivered 11-12 on a Sunday and I dont think the procession needs a Tesco van in it, theyre not very superheroish :)

Yes the floats are on, not sure what time there leaving, but were all meeting at 11. hope this helps x
twiggy
Lite Registered User

Postby Crafty » Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:06 pm

twiggy wrote:Yes the floats are on, not sure what time there leaving, but were all meeting at 11. hope this helps x

Thanks Twiggy, think they normally leave around 11.45 to get to the Carrs 12-12.30, I'll just assume they're taking the normal route and book for after 1.
Crafty
Lite Registered User

Postby Tomas Drouty » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:05 pm

Hi everyone.

The parade is indeed on.. and departs the Swallows at around noon. The route has had to change this year due to the alterations to Clumber Street. All houses on the new route have been advised of this via a leaflet through the door. The new route is also in the carnival programme.

Houses not on the route this year that were previously have not been given a leaflet.
Tomas Drouty
Moderator Team Leader
Moderator Team Leader

Postby Westmorland » Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:20 am

Its forecast a sunny day on Sunday with temperatures of 23c. so it should bring people flocking to the carnival
Westmorland
Lifetime Registered User

Postby SamButler » Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:08 pm

So I either missed the reasoning last year, or I've just forgotten about it: Could someone please reiterate why the Saturday events no longer take place?

Also, what implications does that have with regards to more adult-focussed activities i.e. bar, music etc.?

Thanks
SamButler
Lite Registered User

Facebook: facebook.com/samtheburt
Twitter: @Sam_Butler_

Postby Caz » Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:11 pm

The biggest problem is the lack of volunteers and we haven't had the Saturday night music event for the past three years. The whole of the carnival is in danger of not happening again if more people don't offer to volunteer. The committee has diminished greatly, which means the amount of work each committee member does has increased greatly. When people also have full time jobs, the workload becomes impossible. If there were twice the number of volunteers, the work would be halved and would be more manageable.

With so few volunteers there's always the danger of things getting missed or being late. Then the committee get accused of not organising it properly. They really do their best and unless people get involved, they have no idea of how much organising is involved. I haven't been involved this year because I couldn't commit the amount of time needed, but if there were four times the number of volunteers, I'd be able to manage a quarter of what I've done in previous years!

Another problem is money. Grant aid has diminished, which means the committee have to work hard all year round to raise the funds to put on the carnival. The only money that the carnival itself generates, is from stall fees, the sale of programmes and car parking. Everything else has to be raised or begged. The Saturday night event cost quite a lot of money to put on and the policing of it became difficult.

The Sunday carnival is a family event, with something for all ages.
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby Westmorland » Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:30 pm

In 2006 at the AGM the former committee all resigned, I took over as Secretary and we had few volunteers to help. I was shat on from a great height by people, some of whom were on this forum who did nothing but criticise what the committe were doing. I appreciate the hard work that goes into organizing it, but I would never volunteer again
Westmorland
Lifetime Registered User

Postby Caz » Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:28 am

Adrian, when you're a volunteer for anything, you have to have a very broad back because there are always people who will criticise and question what you do and it's usually those who don't volunteer themselves, because they don't understand how much work goes into what you do. Though there is no excuse for those who have volunteered, yet still criticise. You have to want to volunteer for reasons other than acclaim or gratitude and be able to accept criticism, which unfortunately always comes with it. Maybe that's the reason some people don't volunteer, as in your case.

I've seen new volunteers come into something with great enthusiasm and willingness, only for them to give up because of the stick they've been given. That's really sad when that happens and you can't blame them because who needs hassle when your intentions are good. And that's another reason we don't have enough volunteers.

It's not just the carnival committee that gets questioned and criticised, it's volunteers everywhere. For example, Friends of the Carrs volunteers have taken a lot of criticism about the Mill Dam dredging recently! It really is very hard to appreciate what volunteers do unless you've been involved.
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby mr50p » Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:09 pm

here here caz :roll:
I wish I could remember what IT was
mr50p
Lifetime Registered User

PreviousNext