Warsop Web Community Forum

Warsop Web Homepage | Contact Us

RSS Feed

Carnival 2012

The community's biggest event of the year. Discuss ideas for the next carnival, make suggestions and read latest meeting notes. This is your opportunity to contribute.
Forum rules
Please READ: Forum Rules & Regulations

Re: Carnival 2012

Postby Caz » Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:04 pm

Cancelling would be a real shame considering just how much organising goes into these events, but we know we're beholden to the fickle British weather and it's unfortunately something we have to contend with. We have to balance disappointment with the need to avoid causing damage to The Carrs.

The way things are looking at the moment my concern is with car parking. Several hundred vehicles driving in and parking on sodden grass is going to turn it into a mud bath on the surface and compact the soil underneath, not to mention problems with cars skidding and possibly in need of towing. :roll:
Mrs Warsop Web, Warsop born and bred!
http://www.warsopweb.co.uk
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby BorisTechMark2 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:18 pm

That side of the Carrs gets very waterlogged especially around the area were the old farm used to stand. Carparking is a big money spinner for the carnival as well, but i honestly think that grass will not be dry enough as looking out of the window its throwing it down onto already wet ground.

Strange though that despite all this wet weather we have not had a repeat so far of the 2007 floods which happened only weeks before the carnival, although the days proceeding the carnival weekend were dry

Its a very difficut decision to have to make
BorisTechMark2
Lite Registered User

Postby BorisTechMark2 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:18 pm

That side of the Carrs gets very waterlogged especially around the area were the old farm used to stand. Carparking is a big money spinner for the carnival as well, but i honestly think that grass will not be dry enough as looking out of the window its throwing it down onto already wet ground.

Strange though that despite all this wet weather we have not had a repeat so far of the 2007 floods which happened only weeks before the carnival, although the days proceeding the carnival weekend were dry

Its a very difficut decision to have to make
BorisTechMark2
Lite Registered User

Postby Warsop Person » Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:25 pm

If the weather is bad on Sunday it won't be a big turnout so the risk is greatly reduced anyway. Alternative parking could be sourced from the health centre, sports centre, Meden school, town centre etc to minimise parking on the grass, not ideal but if it prevents the carnival being cancelled then it's worth a try.

My concern (and I don't know about the financing of the carnival) is that they must use the income from this years to fund next years, there will be a lot of expenditure on this years already that is not recoupable so if there is no income this year there may not be any money to stage next years.
Warsop Person
Lifetime Registered User

Postby Caz » Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:30 pm

Generally, the income from this year, funds this year's carnival. A big pot of that comes from car parking with several hundred cars at £3 each, plus programme sales, as well as charging for stalls to stand. If there isn't a big turnout due to the weather, or if the car park can't be used, most of that income won't exist.
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby Warsop Person » Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:38 pm

If they can use school playgrounds, eastwoods centre land or health centre that are not normally accessible then they can still charge.

The explanation of funding is a bit more worrying than I first thought as it sounds as if there will be bills that can't be paid if the money does not come in.
Warsop Person
Lifetime Registered User

Postby Caz » Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:01 pm

Using other places for parking would involve a lot of people on parking duty taking the money, controlling traffic and communication between sites. There's only me and half a dozen rugby players on parking duty and there's always a lack of volunteers. It's not just the car park though, it's the showground that will take a pounding from heavy lorries and hundreds of feet.

With regard to funding, some attractions are sponsored by businesses or the parish council but this year there has been the added cost of road closures. If the carnival is cancelled before barriers, toilets and marquees are delivered, there should be no charges, which takes a big chunk of funding, plus there should be no charge for road closures. The rain here is by no means as bad as some places are having it, though it's constant and moderate, which will be soaking in rather than running off the ground, so I doubt it will make much difference to the decision as sodden ground isn't what we need. :cry:
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby BorisTechMark2 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:12 pm

Alot of events up and down the country are already being called off including nearby Ashfield Show. Even the track at Silverstone is water logged
BorisTechMark2
Lite Registered User

Postby Warsop Person » Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:50 pm

A lot if stuff, toilets fencing etc are already on site and I know it is too late for us to cancel our marquee and avoid paying for it (I know there us more than us getting them from the same company) so I am sure that a proportion of the costs will have to be paid outin any case.

MDC did say yesterday that the ground drains fairly quickly ehich is one of the reasons the plug was not pulled yesterday, weather forecast permitting there is a glimmer of hope.

I do feel for the committee as they are such a small group of people with so much work to do, if they cancel now it will be an awful lot more work for them over the next 24hrs and nothing at the end to make it worthwhile.
Warsop Person
Lifetime Registered User

Postby Caz » Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:14 pm

Yes, you're right WP. There will be a lot of work in cancelling everything and there will be costs for a lot of people. However, having looked at the site today, sadly, I don't think there's much chance of it draining enough and the forecast for the weekend isn't good either.

When I cancelled the Christmas Market in 2010, I asked all the suppliers if they'd hold over the money I'd paid them to the following year and everyone, without exception, did exactly that, even the road closure people.

We'll have to wait for the official decision to be made, which should be any time now.
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby dusty » Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:29 pm

Forcast for Sunday on Met office report for Mansfield is **Torrential Rain **from 1pm onwards!!!!!
we make a living from what we get, we make a life from what we give xxx
dusty
Super Registered User

Postby moanersRus » Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:45 pm

Any news?
Of all the things i've lost, i miss my mind the most
moanersRus
Lifetime Registered User

Postby Caz » Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:47 pm

No, sorry Moaner, at least no official decision as yet.
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby BorisTechMark2 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:49 pm

MDC still on site
BorisTechMark2
Lite Registered User

Postby Caz » Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:54 pm

Yes, they are. I think a decision has been made but not yet announced and I can't jump the gun as I'm not officially on the carnival committee this year. It has to be the committee's announcement really and I wouldn't like to be in their shoes either. Having to make a decision whether to cancel something that many hours of work has gone into, isn't a nice position to be in.
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Warsop Carnival