Warsop Web Community Forum

Warsop Web Homepage | Contact Us

RSS Feed

Carnival 2010

The community's biggest event of the year. Discuss ideas for the next carnival, make suggestions and read latest meeting notes. This is your opportunity to contribute.
Forum rules
Please READ: Forum Rules & Regulations

Re: Carnival 2010

Postby Warsop Person » Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:06 pm

Yes it has
Warsop Person
Lifetime Registered User

Postby jilli » Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:51 pm

Can you take your own alcohol and drink on the Carrs this year? Or has that now been banned?
jilli
Lifetime Registered User

Postby Tomas Drouty » Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:12 pm

jilli wrote:Can you take your own alcohol and drink on the Carrs this year? Or has that now been banned?

You can but the police have got the power to confiscate it if it (or you) are causing a problem.
Tomas Drouty
Moderator Team Leader
Moderator Team Leader

Postby phill » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:51 pm

Why isn't the market running the bar this year? Don't they want too?
phill
Lifetime Registered User

Postby Tomas Drouty » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:55 pm

phill wrote:Why isn't the market running the bar this year? Don't they want too?

Ask MDC.
Tomas Drouty
Moderator Team Leader
Moderator Team Leader

Postby m8tey » Sat Jul 17, 2010 1:37 am

I have heard tonight that the black market is losing its licence, the Gate, the Plough, and the Talbot are closing down. I cant say whether this is true or not. Can you councillors confirm or deny this please.......
TRY IT YOU MIGHT LIKE IT
m8tey
Lifetime Registered User

Postby Crafty » Sat Jul 17, 2010 6:07 am

Will there be a procession thingy this year with the floats?

I've usually had a leaflet through my door by now asking me to move my car for an hour so it can go by!
Crafty
Lite Registered User

Postby Tomas Drouty » Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:36 am

There is indeed a parade .. as normal from noon. It is a new committee this year and I daresay the old committee forgot to tell them the bit about the leaflets.
Tomas Drouty
Moderator Team Leader
Moderator Team Leader

Postby Warsop Person » Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:09 am

m8tey wrote:I have heard tonight that the black market is losing its licence, the Gate, the Plough, and the Talbot are closing down. I cant say whether this is true or not. Can you councillors confirm or deny this please.......

I am not a councillor, and I don’t know any fact. All I have been told is

Market - Dave has got a court case coming up where he has the potential to lose his licence over a trivial matter

Gate - The chef is moving on but a new one is being sought by Mark the landlord

Talbot - Paul is selling the lease and moving on

Plough - Not heard anything about that but I very much doubt it

I think all the pubs in Warsop of suffering at the moment, there is no cash about and the beer is cheaper at the shops so people are opting to stay home and drink. The government and authorities like the drink at home culture because it causes fewer flash points. The pubs can't compete because they can buy some of their stock cheaper from the shops that me and you use than they can their wholesalers.

It would not surprise me at all if we lost a couple more pubs over the next year or two.
Warsop Person
Lifetime Registered User

Postby pearl50 » Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:31 pm

Picture 057.jpg
the band
Attachments
Picture 059.jpg
winning float ( i think)
Picture 056.jpg
sure starts float (2nd)
pearl50
Lite Registered User

Postby Muso » Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:07 pm

Warsop Person wrote:
m8tey wrote:I have heard tonight that the black market is losing its licence, the Gate, the Plough, and the Talbot are closing down. I cant say whether this is true or not. Can you councillors confirm or deny this please.......

I am not a councillor, and I don’t know any fact. All I have been told is

Market - Dave has got a court case coming up where he has the potential to lose his licence over a trivial matter

Gate - The chef is moving on but a new one is being sought by Mark the landlord

Talbot - Paul is selling the lease and moving on

Plough - Not heard anything about that but I very much doubt it

I think all the pubs in Warsop of suffering at the moment, there is no cash about and the beer is cheaper at the shops so people are opting to stay home and drink. The government and authorities like the drink at home culture because it causes fewer flash points. The pubs can't compete because they can buy some of their stock cheaper from the shops that me and you use than they can their wholesalers.

It would not surprise me at all if we lost a couple more pubs over the next year or two.

True, it is a tough time for the pub trade and it does make you wonder if the same rules are applied to the supermarket chains as they are to the Pubs Clubs and small beer off's. There is probably more crime and injury generated by the sale of cheap booze from supermarkets than there is from pubs and clubs, its just not documented because its either done behind closed doors or it is harder to prove.

The supermarket chains are a multi million pound business with a multi million pound legal team that I dare say the Police and licensing would think twice about taking on. Small pubs and clubs however, that are already struggling financially and unlikely to be able to afford legal representation are an easy target to be "finished off" for trivial “non incident” related licensing issues.

Just to add some detail to the rumours about the market, we will definitely NOT be closing down! We would certainly like to get more people booking our big room for party’s etc and would like to get more people coming up a little earlier at the weekends, but we are fine, we are making improvements and we will be here for many years yet!!

Yes I am being taken to court for 3 alleged breaches of my premise license following a visit by the licensing officer on Sat 17th Dec 2009 at 11.15pm.

I wasn’t informed by the police or anyone else that this matter had any likelihood of going to court, the summons just dropped on my door matt a few weeks ago, 5 months and 3 weeks after the alleged incident took place. I’m absolutely astounded that someone has chosen to take this to court after a 6 month period that includes xmas, new year and the world cup and we have had hardly any incidents or problems to report. Also following that 17th Dec visit we have had a doorman starting at 9.30pm every Saturday, we have installed a fully Police compliant cctv system, and the doorman now close the front doors at 11pm prompt every weekend!

One last thing on the door closing issue, we all have to obey the rules but we also need to apply a bit of common sense. It is obvious that whoever applied this rule to my license did not really think it through. The idea of closing the front doors was to prevent a build up of people on the High Street. This was MY idea but it was supposed to be applied with common sense when appropriate. The councilors in their wisdom applied my idea as a license condition 7 days a week!! Lets get this in perspective, on a Monday night I have been known to be stood on my own at the bar with not a single customer on the premises, I am open till 1am, but I have to now close my front doors and not allow entry from 11pm, this is simply ridiculous.

I have already been to court twice about the 3 alleged breeches, the 1st appearance was to find out specifically what I was being charged with, as despite numerous requests and assurances from the Police, they did not provide me with any details to enable me to decide how to plea. The 2nd appearance was to plead not guilty and so take it to trial.

I will be in court again on 16th September for the trial, which I sincerely hope I will win for the sake of common sense.

Just to be clear again, we have NOT had any incidents at the market, there has been no-one found underage, no murders, no drugs raids, no riots and we had a 100% trouble free world cup campaign!

The actual 3 alleged offences that we are being taken to court for are;

1.) One of the front doors to the pub were still open at 11.15pm and should have been closed at 11.00pm. (The bar was legally open till 2.00am this night and there were no incidents caused by this alleged breach)

2.) My CCTV system could not show a day, 28 days prior to the date of the visit. (There were no incidents on this date it was just a test to see if I had the date requested.)

3.) There was no SIA badged door supervisor on duty at the time of the visit. 11.15pm ( SIA staff were employed every weekend but didn’t start till midnight on Saturdays at this time. A risk assessment was on display behind the bar stating this. There were no incidents this night)

So there are the 3 breaches and despite all the rumours, assumptions and stories reported in the CHAD, please take note that we are not in court for any of the following;

- underage drinking
- fighting
- drugs
- serving after hours
- fighting in the streets
- noise complaints
- antisocial behaviour

There were no incidents of any kind on that night. There were no problems caused by the above alleged breaches. The Police were called by the licensing officer after the visit and told to serve us with a section 19 closure order for the stated breeches. We were not asked or given the opportunity to close voluntarily.

I would be very interested to hear from anyone else who knows of a premise that has been served with a section 19 closure order, and for what reasons. I am struggling to find any at the moment that didn’t at least involve a murder, a street riot or a serious assault.
THE MARKET & BLACK MARKET VENUE, STILL THE HOME OF WARSOP PANTO 2010
01623 842105
http://www.myspace.com/blackmarketvenue
dave.drury@btinternet.com
Muso
Lite Registered User

Postby Wizard » Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:18 pm

Dave, you have obviously upset someone in the Police Force, as they are the ones who are being vindictive against you.
Cast your mind back and see if you can recall any events where you have dared to have an opinion defying police suggestions regarding running your business.
They do seem to be rather heavy handed in dealing with you.
Wizard
Super Registered User

Postby moanersRus » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:58 am

He's a successful business in warsop and its taking a few drinkers away from mansfield what more reason do they need.

so no-ones been thrown down stairs or massive riots then? hhmm sorry thats mansfield that happens isn't it? lol
Of all the things i've lost, i miss my mind the most
moanersRus
Lifetime Registered User

Postby Warsop Person » Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:47 pm

Muso wrote:The Police were called by the licensing officer after the visit and told to serve us with a section 19 closure order for the stated breeches.

Not being an expert on this particular aspect of the law it does seem a little heavy handed if not a slight twist of the law.

To start with a constable is not allowed to issue you with a section 19 closure order; an order has to be issued by a court. From memory what the constable can do, or even the local authority, is issue you with a section 19 closure "notice". Although they do frequently use these to close premises down the statute book does not technically allow them to do this. The purpose of the "Notice" is to inform the person on whom it is served that if they do not take steps to rectify the breaches they will seek a section 19 closure "order".

Technically the Police are not allowed to close you down with a "notice", it must be an "order" issued by a court.

It does seem a little heavy handed and you have my symapthy whilst trying to run a business in a struggling market.
Warsop Person
Lifetime Registered User

Postby m8tey » Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:20 pm

Good luck for the 16th Muso I hope all goes well.......
TRY IT YOU MIGHT LIKE IT
m8tey
Lifetime Registered User

PreviousNext

Return to Warsop Carnival