Warsop Web Community Forum

Warsop Web Homepage | Contact Us

RSS Feed

Carnival 2010

The community's biggest event of the year. Discuss ideas for the next carnival, make suggestions and read latest meeting notes. This is your opportunity to contribute.
Forum rules
Please READ: Forum Rules & Regulations

Carnival 2010

Postby Caz » Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:24 pm

Tonight's Carnival meeting has been postponed.

Anyone wishing to be involved in the organisation of Warsop Carnival 2010 is welcome to attend the AGM. I'll post again when I have a date for the AGM, which should be within the next couple of weeks.
Mrs Warsop Web, Warsop born and bred!
http://www.warsopweb.co.uk
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Re: Carnival 2010

Postby BigAl » Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:58 pm

Whats the date for this years carnival please Cas.
Not sure yet when we will be in the country. :D
Screw the padded room, give me a trampoline floor with bubble wrapped walls and a velcro ceiling.
BigAl
Lifetime Registered User

Location: Where the road takes me now i have stopped fighting my inner feelings, we are on the same side now,

Postby Caz » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:12 pm

I've been putting off saying this, but here goes!

I'm not involved with a carnival this year BigAl. I've got a wedding to organise and just haven't got the time to do the fund raising as well as everything else that organising the carnival involves and believe me, it's an all year round job. It's a particularly tall order this year because funding is being cut from councils, so the fund raising is going to need even more time and effort that I can give this year. So I've stepped down temporarily.

Last year we didn't break even, but fortunately a local councillor stepped in with his allowance to enable us to pay the final bills. We rely on income being generated on carnival day from the public with parade bucket collections and sale of programme. The ads in the programme cover the cost of us having 1,000 printed but we only sold 500 at £1, so we were £500 down - people just didn't want to buy them, not even to support the carnival. Parade bucket collections were also way down and we also had a bucket collection at the circus entrance but that generated less than fifty quid. Yep, money was tight and still is, maybe people can't afford a carnival in this economic climate!

That's it in a nutshell. I just don't have the time to do as much as I did in previous years, let alone do more fundraising. Maybe I'll get back on board next year! :wink:
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby mr50p » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:26 pm

I payed a full pound for mine I did go into the town hall and oferd 50p and they said no :lol:
I wish I could remember what IT was
mr50p
Lifetime Registered User

Postby Cat75 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:20 am

I ended up buying 2 lol
Cat75
Lifetime Registered User

Postby BigAl » Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:37 pm

Thanks Caz, :D at least i know roughly whats happening.
Screw the padded room, give me a trampoline floor with bubble wrapped walls and a velcro ceiling.
BigAl
Lifetime Registered User

Location: Where the road takes me now i have stopped fighting my inner feelings, we are on the same side now,

Postby Caz » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:44 pm

You're welcome BigAl. If by some miracle a lump of funding dropped in our laps, or more people volunteer, there may just be a carnival this year but I'm sure you'll get to know on here. Remember the carnival is always held the first weekend in July.
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby Caz » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:39 am

We Need Your Help!
You may have heard that this year’s Carnival may not happen, which will disappoint an awful lot of people.

It will not happen...
...unless we have more volunteers both on the committee to attend meetings and deal with the dministration and help during the few weeks leading up to it also on the day, to sell programmes, marshalling the car park, litter picking, general fetching and carrying and much more!

It will not happen...
...if we do not get funding, we are desperate for people to fund raise for us, so if you can help with anything we would be pleased to hear from you. The Carnival is run by a committee of volunteers who have full time jobs but give up any spare time they have to organise this huge event. We do not have any officer support and rely totally on funding for the whole event. With grant aid being cut from NCC and MDC wanting to charge us more for the services that they provide, at the moment we only have the donation from the Parish Council of £5,000.

We have approached MDC to become part of their “Summer in the Streets” but are still waiting for confirmation. The total cost for this FREE FAMILY DAY is in the region of £20,000! This is found through funding pots, donations, programme sales (programmes cost just £1) and the donation buckets we
carry on the parade.

Last year there wasn’t much in the parade donations buckets and the Circus donation buckets made approx £45 after 5 shows, together with the programme sales being down, this hasn’t left us anything in the pot to start this year with!

So if you are going to be disappointed and don’t want to miss out on this fantastic event, please get in touch with Tania Barlow 01623 846011 or call in the Town Hall, your help will be greatly appreciated –
WE NEED YOU!

Carnival AGM - to be held at 7pm on Tuesday March 9th - At the Market Pub. If you can help, please come along.
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby Tomas Drouty » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:46 pm

Don't forget carnival AGM .. tomorrow 7pm at The Market pub, High Street, Warsop
Tomas Drouty
Moderator Team Leader
Moderator Team Leader

Postby mal Holland » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:45 pm

Am lost were is the market pub
mal Holland
Lifetime Registered User

Postby Caz » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:12 am

Mal, it's what used to be the Workmans club.

The AGM went well, with the Mayor in attendance. It was felt that if the carnival doesn't go ahead this year, we may never get it back again. All present felt there should be a carnival, even if it's more scaled down than last year. The Parish Council are particularly keen to keep it and have pledged £5,000 towards the cost. The Mayor also pledged help from Summer in the Streets and was keen for Warsop Carnival to start the Summer in the Streets programme.

So, the carnival will go ahead but needs more volunteers on the committee and to coincide with Summer in the Streets, the carnival date has changed this year and will be 18th July. There will be the first committee meeting of Warsop Carnival 2010 at 7pm on 23rd March at the Market pub. Anyone willing to join the committee, please come along.

Myself and TD have stepped down from the committee this year, due to other committments, but will still have a minor involvement. Tania has taken on the role for enquiries - Telephone: (01623) 846011 e-mail: tbarlow@warsop.gov.uk

Further details to follow.
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby mal Holland » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:19 am

Thanks for that spent many a saturday night there, it great to see that warsop is getting into the spirit of old keep up the good work
mal Holland
Lifetime Registered User

Postby moanersRus » Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:29 pm

I volunteer Lelan to help (he should be here then)
Of all the things i've lost, i miss my mind the most
moanersRus
Lifetime Registered User

Postby Cat75 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:17 am

I can still help on the day
Cat75
Lifetime Registered User

Postby Caz » Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:47 pm

Please note that the carnival date had been changed to 11th July, but wasn't suitable as it's cup final day. The date is yet to be confirmed.
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Next

Return to Warsop Carnival