Warsop Web Community Forum

Warsop Web Homepage | Contact Us

RSS Feed

How was it for you? - Carnival Feedback Please!

The community's biggest event of the year. Discuss ideas for the next carnival, make suggestions and read latest meeting notes. This is your opportunity to contribute.
Forum rules
Please READ: Forum Rules & Regulations

How was it for you? - Carnival Feedback Please!

Postby Caz » Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:24 am

I didn't see much of the carnival but I know there were a lot of people there because we had to close the car park at one point as it was full!! :shock: We never really know what will work and what won't but we try to make each year different. This year, instead of main arena events that could be spoilt by the weather, we tried the circus - and of course the weather was just right for arena events! :roll:

I'd really like to know what people thought of it this year and it would be helpful to anyone organising future events. What was good and what wasn't?
Mrs Warsop Web, Warsop born and bred!
http://www.warsopweb.co.uk
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Re: How was it for you?

Postby Troy » Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:08 pm

I loved it Caz, I didnt see the circus cose the wheather was so nice, besides I heard it got full really quick,
I loved the Dog show, bet its been about 9 years since the last one, everyone seemed to have a great time,
My mum saw the lazy gardner from radio mansfield and that was that for half a hour :roll:
Couldnt get in the camara clubs tent... was always busy, which was good for them,
Saw Barry and his son got a nice picture of them.
The only think was there didnt seem to be many floats, but it was a lovely parade,
Big well done to EVERYONE invoved =D>
The greatest healing therapy is friendship and love,

You never love someone because they are beautiful; they are beautiful because you LOVE them
Troy
Lifetime Registered User

Postby RedDevil » Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:10 pm

we couldn't get into the circus it was full :( need a bigger big top :D it seemed like there were more people there this year too. The dog shows were very popular, i think next year it should have an obsticle course :D i heard a few people saying there were a lot of stalls doing the same things eg face painting, raffles etc but we enjoyed ourselves ESPECIALLY the music event =D> :lol:
RedDevil
Lifetime Registered User

Postby Caz » Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:24 pm

Thank you - keep the feedback coming, especially constructive criticism because it's really valuable. I'd like to respond to some comments.

Circus - It's a pity some people couldn't get into the circus. We'd paid them for a package that included a 2 hour workshop and 4 performances, but couldn't fit more than two performances into the Sunday schedule, so we had them do 2 on Saturday, which were both very well attended but not quite full. Maybe we should have gone for all 4 performances Sunday and no workshop.

Parade Floats - Bowrings Transport very kindly provide 6 lorries for floats in the parade. They can't let us have any more because they only have garaging space for six and once they've been dressed on Saturday, they need protecting against the weather. Their drivers volunteer their time to drive them - my eldest was driving the Church float :lol: My brother was also supposed to have been driving one for SureStart, but unfortunately at the last minute they had to pull out because they didn't have enough volunteers to dress it, which was a real shame because we always have more than 6 organisations wanting floats and have to turn some away.

Stalls - Most stalls are run by charity organisations to generate some income for themselves and the carnival committee don't control what they do. Again, they are generally volunteers, so my hat's off to all those who did run stalls to boost their own much needed funds. We get the regulars who work tirelessly year on year for their good cause. It's really amazing just how many people do voluntary work and The Carrs was full of them on Sunday.

The Dog Show - I've had nothing but good reports about that, so it certainly was very popular and was one thing I wish I could have seen. I'm sure it will be back again next year. An obstacle course is a good idea! :)

We usually expect around 10,000 visitors to the carnival and this year there were more. Some who were parking their cars had come from miles around and so many of them say how lucky we are to have such a fantastic event in Warsop and what a lovely community we are! Now that's really nice to hear. I've had a phone call today from someone who came with her family for the first time and wanted to say what a great day out it had been. She's helping to organise a smaller scale show for her community and wanted advice and contacts. I've also had e.mails today from performers, caterers and even Chris, the PA man, saying what an enjoyable and successful day it was and how nice the people of Warsop are - again these are people who don't live in Warsop. So, I think all of us as a community can give ourselves a pat on the back!!! :wink:
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Re: How was it for you? - Carnival Feedback Please!

Postby Cat75 » Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:55 am

We had a wonderful day, got my folks and my sister and partner down from middlesbrough, my daughter and i bumped into a large group of couples from sheffield in rufford park last week and told them about the carnival and we bumped into them there on sunday. :D
we couldnt get into the circus as it was full
it was brilliant, my parents were suprised how good and large it was so have booked to come back next year :D
I do think the cake and flower arranging could maybe be advertised more for more entrants, I think I will enter a cake next year just not sure how to
Cat75
Lifetime Registered User

Postby moanersRus » Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:09 pm

if the cakes were advertised it would have reminded red as she was going to enter but forgot.
Of all the things i've lost, i miss my mind the most
moanersRus
Lifetime Registered User

Postby Caz » Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:20 pm

Thanks Cat. The Rotary Club, Warsop in Bloom and the ladies from the Inner Wheel, do a lot of work to put the flower and cake show on. This year they also offered a good cash incentive to schools to enter, but there wasn't a great response. It's a real shame that they get such a poor response considering all the effort they put in. You can take a horse to water but you can't make it drink.

It may be that we need to advertise this more, but that's yet another task to add to the ever increasing list for the ever decreasing number of volunteers.
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby Troy » Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:41 pm

Who got first place with thier carnival float?
Any news on the duck race?
The greatest healing therapy is friendship and love,

You never love someone because they are beautiful; they are beautiful because you LOVE them
Troy
Lifetime Registered User

Postby mamalou » Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:43 pm

loved the carnival,best bits,circus and dog show well done to everyone thanks for a great day!
mamalou
Lite Registered User

Postby john » Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:36 pm

Pat and I went down on sunday and enjoyed ourselves, love those vintage cars. =D>
john
Super Registered User

Postby Sallyann » Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:20 pm

Birklands won the best float,apparantly.Yeah!! =D>
It would be nice to see some pictures though because we missed the parade.
Sallyann
Lifetime Registered User

Postby Sallyann » Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:24 pm

There seemed to be quite a few teens walking around the fair area with bottles of beer.Just wondering why they hadn't been confiscated by the police.Don't think they were purchased from the beer tent as they were all in plastic glasses.
Sallyann
Lifetime Registered User

Postby Caz » Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:32 pm

The beer tent only sold in plastic and they weren't allowed to take drinks out of the fenced off area, so they didn't get it from there.
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby whitevanman » Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:17 pm

Sallyann wrote:Birklands won the best float,apparantly.Yeah!! =D>
It would be nice to see some pictures though because we missed the parade.

Here's a few then Sallyann.

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage
whitevanman
Moderator Team Member
Moderator Team Member

Postby RedDevil » Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:46 pm

i didn't see the acrobats :?
RedDevil
Lifetime Registered User

Next

Return to Warsop Carnival