Warsop Web Community Forum

Warsop Web Homepage | Contact Us

RSS Feed

Internet on the go!

A place to discuss and post all about personal computing including new technlogy, reviews, technical support, networking and other home related technology issues.
Forum rules
Please READ: Forum Rules & Regulations

Internet on the go!

Postby Caz » Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:11 am

What experiences do people have with connecting their laptops to the internet when not at home? I'm on BT and so I get access to OpenZone, but is it better to have a dongle via a separate provider?
Mrs Warsop Web, Warsop born and bred!
http://www.warsopweb.co.uk
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Re: Internet on the go!

Postby Tomas Drouty » Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:14 am

I don't rate open zone... its so slow and I'm having probs with BT so considering changing providers
Tomas Drouty
Moderator Team Leader
Moderator Team Leader

Postby Caz » Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:07 am

I've always been OK with BT. The only real problems we've had is not getting the speed we're supposed to but they always fix it when we phone them. It's just that we shouldn't have to keep phoning them!!
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby Warsop Person » Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:10 pm

I am on BT and find that if I can get a faster connection through BTFON, if a signal is available, rather than my BT dongle which uses the Vodaphone network. At the moment all the mobile signals are all 3G which I find comparable to the pre broadband internet speeds, 4G is being trialed in London at the moment and this connections is more like broadband.

Home based broadband is due to be upgraded in this area, according to BT the infinity service will be available at some point in 2012 which should offer the best speeds available in this area when it is launched (subject to installation of fibre cables).
Warsop Person
Lifetime Registered User

Postby Caz » Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:45 pm

I signed up for BTfon when it first started but I've never used it and haven't figured out how it works, though I haven't really had cause to yet and there were very few hotspots when I signed up. I've just had a look and there are a lot more now so maybe I'll try it again.

Another question, does anyone on here connect to BTfon with an i-phone? Hubby wants one but doesn't want a phone on contract so I'm thinking he could continue with his pay as you go tariff and use the BTfon, but will that still cost him? I suppose I should ask our Dan all these questions, but he baffles me with science! :roll:
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby Warsop Person » Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:51 pm

Caz wrote:Another question, does anyone on here connect to BTfon with an i-phone? Hubby wants one but doesn't want a phone on contract so I'm thinking he could continue with his pay as you go tariff and use the BTfon, but will that still cost him? I suppose I should ask our Dan all these questions, but he baffles me with science!

In short no, connecting to BTFON will use the wireless connection on the phone which will connect the phone directly to a WIFI spot. The Network connection on the phone, which is different to the wireless connection, is the bit that connects through the service provider and costs you.
Warsop Person
Lifetime Registered User

Return to Tech' Zone