Warsop Web Community Forum

Warsop Web Homepage | Contact Us

RSS Feed

Digital Cameras

A place to discuss and post all about personal computing including new technlogy, reviews, technical support, networking and other home related technology issues.
Forum rules
Please READ: Forum Rules & Regulations

Digital Cameras

Postby langameringue » Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:08 am

Anyone recommend a good digital camera?? I am looking to upgrade from my 6m pixel Vivicam which i got cheap when Jessops shut down in Mansfield. Adequate but never been happy with it. . . . .

Somat easy to use with minimum fiddly controls & settings (over 50 :D & not tec minded) main use photographing scenery when out walking and shooting the kids (not literally) :?:
No matter where you go-There you are!
langameringue
Super Registered User

Re: Digital Cameras

Postby tightwadswife » Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:35 pm

I have a Panasonic Lumix 8 mega pixel. I'm also 50+ and very untechy but I find this simple enough. I've managed to take some great pics without too much difficulty. Having said all that I don't think I use it to it's full potential and having read the manual that came with it , can't believe that a lot of the things it says even apply to me. Somewhat over my head Jargonese!
tightwadswife
Lifetime Registered User

Postby Caz » Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:54 pm

I've got a Sony Cybershot N50 8.1 megapixel and I love it.

It was a Christmas pressie from about four years ago and was the latest technology then, but no doubt there will be much better spec models that have superseded it, but I wouldn't swap it. It's light and compact, so it goes everywhere with me. It has a large screen for those with fading eye sight and has touch screen controls. Most importantly, for those of us over fifty, it's very easy to use. You can zoom in and edit photos using the touch screen and save the edited shots as well and it is also records video. It's easy to download to my computer, just plug and play. I don't know how much it cost but it was money well spent.
Mrs Warsop Web, Warsop born and bred!
http://www.warsopweb.co.uk
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby Andrew Daykin » Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:08 pm

My Dad uses an old Fuji Fine Pix- in fact it was my first digital camera many years ago. http://www.dpreview.com/news/9908/99082 ... mx1700.asp

I had a look on Amazon for something similar with reasonable reviews. There is mention about issues when using windows XP.

Simple and cheep if you want a point and shoot.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fujifilm-FinePi ... roduct_top

or not so cheap - one comment in a review " Fuji have perhaps gone overboard with features"

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fujifilm-Finepi ... roduct_top
Last edited by Andrew Daykin on Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm no expert, so please correct me if I'm wrong.
Andrew Daykin
Super Registered User

Postby Caz » Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:05 pm

Andrew recommended a fuji finepix when we were buying our Gem a new camera to take to Australia and she loved it, but unfortunately she left it on a plane whilst travelling round Oz. :roll: She did replace it with another one though.
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby Andrew Daykin » Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:12 pm

That was good of me --- glad it worked out.

I use one like this for the day job

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-EOS-5D-Mark ... B001G5ZTMM
Andrew Daykin
Super Registered User

Postby langameringue » Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:21 am

The Fuji Fine Pix looks a good bet as it will take my existing sd card & re-chargeable batteries :D
I have xp on the p.c. but with my existing camera i tend to use the memory card reader rather than the usb.

I get p****d off with Sony chasing their own formats. My son had a P.S.P. for crimbo and wanted to download some photos onto it. The sd card wont fit as it takes a memory stick and it came without a usb connector,available separately :shock: :? My daughter had an mp3 player so i thought i would use the usb cable off that. . .it came with a removable cap and slots straight into the usb on the pc :evil:

There is something else that is troubling me? At the side of my memory card reader is a massive slot that says CF/Microdrive. what the blinkin' ell is that for :confusing:
langameringue
Super Registered User

Postby moanersRus » Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:59 am

I use a fujifilm S9600 by far the best camera i've used for a long time (had it 18month) although its not a compact
Of all the things i've lost, i miss my mind the most
moanersRus
Lifetime Registered User

Postby Caz » Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:32 pm

I know exactly what you mean about Sony. Every time I take my battery out to charge it, I have to reset the date on the camera as it doesn't remember it once the battery has been removed. The user manual say's it's because the internal battery needs charging, so we went back to the Sony shop at Mansfield for a charger/internal battery/advice. They hadn't a clue what I was talking about until I pointed it out in the manual, so they looked it up on their system and they said a charger wasn't yet available, probably because the camera was a brand new model! :roll: Very bad practice on Sony's part, or maybe it's the lack of training they give their sales people. Either way, it wasn't good.

I even tried buying one online but to no avail and nobody seemed able to help or be able to advise me. I registered with their online help/product support and e.mailed them about it, but never got any replies about my query, all I get is e.mails advertising their products. I eventually gave up because I got so fed up with having to explain it and I haven't been back to the shop to try again since. It doesn't affect the way the camera works or the functions etc, it's just a pain having to keep setting the date. I still love it.

I also have a Sony HDD Handycam - another Christmas pressie from a couple of years ago - and I love that as well.
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby Andrew Daykin » Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:13 pm

langameringue wrote:There is something else that is troubling me? At the side of my memory card reader is a massive slot that says CF/Microdrive. what the blinkin' ell is that for :confusing:

That is for a Compact Flash card ( or a Microdrive - a bit like a mini harddrive )

This is what it looks like -

http://www.bestpc.lv/atmi%C4%86%C2%B2as ... 76&sort=3a
Andrew Daykin
Super Registered User

Postby Digger » Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:00 pm

My first digital was a Fuji Finepix F410, very easy to use and I had it almost 4 years. Passed it on to a friend and it's still going strong.

Two Christmases ago my pressie was a Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ3 with a 12x zoom lens. It's been excellent although a bit on the heavy side. Probably don't use it to it's full capabilities but I'll have more time to play when I finish work in 3 weeks time.

It's always worth looking on something like Amazon (where I bought the Panasonic) as you get a chance to read reviews by previous buyers.
I wish I was fishing
Digger
Lifetime Registered User

Postby whitevanman » Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:03 am

I don't think, with today's technology, that there is a bad camera, and it all depends what you are looking for.
Some of today's small compacts really are superb and it sometimes makes me wonder why i "need" all the SLR bodies and lenses that i have.

You'll not go far wrong with any of the Panasonic Lumix or Fuji Finepix range.
whitevanman
Moderator Team Member
Moderator Team Member

Postby mr50p » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:55 am

Me got an old finepix s5700 good old box :oops: old :cry: :wink:
If anybody with a white van has an old cannon to give away I'm poor and old :wink:
I wish I could remember what IT was
mr50p
Lifetime Registered User

Postby langameringue » Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:35 pm

My first camera was 'Kodak Instamatic Outfit', purchased from the high street chemist at Warsop.
Extortionate price, £4. 10s. 6pence, but came with all the latest tec; cassette loading film & rotating 'flash cubes' :shock:

My second camera was an 'Olympus Trip' which came, courtesy of 'John Players', when the wife and i 'pooled' all our 'No.6' cigarette coupons. :wink: Best camera i ever had and still going strong up until five years ago. Boots in Mansfield would put the roll of film through their machine and load it onto a CD-R for a quid :D Still tempted to throw my Vivitar Vivicam at the wall & dust off the old Olympus but it looks like either a Fuji or a Panasonic for me 8)
langameringue
Super Registered User

Postby loftyhermes » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:49 pm

I use a Fuji 2800 that uses smartmedia cards and guess what, you can't get them anymore so when the card goes t*ts up the camera is useless and I'll have to throw it away, which is a shame, cos it's a good camera. On the bright side my sony mobile phone can take everyday photos nearly as good as the camera (although it can't zoom like the camera,) so I tend to use it instead of the camera just to keep the smartmedia card going as long as possible. I save the camera for important photos, family get togethers and holidays etc.
Me slow??? I get up in the morning with nothing to do and go to bed at night with half of it done.
loftyhermes
Lifetime Registered User

Next

Return to Tech' Zone