Warsop Web Community Forum

Warsop Web Homepage | Contact Us

RSS Feed

Looking fo a new PC

A place to discuss and post all about personal computing including new technlogy, reviews, technical support, networking and other home related technology issues.
Forum rules
Please READ: Forum Rules & Regulations

Looking fo a new PC

Postby smallfish » Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:31 am

Copied this from one of my other posts regarding a new PC for myself. Thought I would ask the gang here on any suggestions.

No real budget really. Just wondering what would be a good make to buy next? Another Dell? Who knows?? I have a family of four whom all use the computer. We are not into heavy gaming on the PC either. Would like something fast and something that is not preloaded with all kinds of demo software. Would also like to be buying a comp that ships with a hard copy of the operating software. Something with a great video card as we watch a lot of video on the PC.Something with a decent processor and RAM, good quality hardware,a decent size hard drive,etc. We run wireless Ipods and a Nintendo Wii as well. A quiet running unit that is not really huge in size either as the Dell I now use is very small and I like that.
I have been out of touch in keeping up with the most recent technology regarding processors etc. so I could not tell which is what nowadays but would like to stay with Intel.
I thought about buying an Alienware system but then I read that Dell bought the company so I am a little leary of them.
Just looking for suggestions from the pro's here.
smallfish
Lite Registered User

Re: Looking fo a new PC

Postby mr50p » Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:47 pm

If you have no budget you Lucky person http://www1.euro.dell.com/uk/en/home/De ... hs1&~ck=mn
try this but you would be better making your own much cheaper but hay I'm the village fool :wink: =D>
I wish I could remember what IT was
mr50p
Lifetime Registered User

Postby Digger » Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:35 pm

I personally wouldn't touch Dell, having worked in the industry and knowing how they make their PC's. They use cheap components but their prices aren't to match. Also, if you don't mind dealing with one of the help desks in India with the worst reputation that's up to you.

Buy Computer shopper and look for the Uk-based companies. One with the highest reputations is Mesh :-

http://www.meshcomputers.com

Highly rated support, buy on line and tailor your PC with by adding extras or dropping stuff off that you don't want.

I'll be getting my new one from there after Xmas.
I wish I was fishing
Digger
Lifetime Registered User

Postby loftyhermes » Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:43 pm

Why not go to a local computer shop and have one built to your specs. There's Custom Computers in Warsop and The Computer Shop in Shirebrook.
Me slow??? I get up in the morning with nothing to do and go to bed at night with half of it done.
loftyhermes
Lifetime Registered User

Postby mr50p » Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:52 pm

And Forest Town :wink:
mr50p
Lifetime Registered User

Postby Caz » Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:13 pm

Yes, absolutely! Support your local shops, buy in Warsop! We want our local economy to survive and thrive, we don't want empty shops. Buying from a small local supplier has the advantage of being more available and it's in their interest to give good service and of course you get personal advice from them, rather than just getting a salesperson who doesn't understand the product they're selling. This is particularly important if you're not sure what your options are, or don't really know the difference in products and specifications.

If you buy online, you have the added hassle of contacting the company and waiting for replacements if something goes wrong. If your product is coming from abroad, our country isn't benefitting financially and you have no assurances that foreign standards are the same as those in the UK. Beware of counterfeit goods!

Buy local - support your community!! :wink:
Mrs Warsop Web, Warsop born and bred!
http://www.warsopweb.co.uk
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby Digger » Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:09 pm

Good idea, get it built to your own spec and easy to take it back with any problems. Here in Manchester there's no-one I'd trust though, and most of them open and close within 12 months! Perhaps you're luckier in Warsop.
I wish I was fishing
Digger
Lifetime Registered User

Postby moanersRus » Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:25 am

I Built my own and got exactly what i wanted then, it still had a few upgrades in the mean time, latest was windows 7. you will prob pay around the same now days for parts but its well worth it only thing is there no warranty as you built it but the parts would be on warranty. my system is

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual core processor 4800+ 2.5Ghz
2gb Ram
Nvidia Geforce 7100 Graphics (may not be the top but i dont do gaming)
Dvd drive
Dvd writer
floppy (always have a floppy incase)
Last edited by moanersRus on Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Of all the things i've lost, i miss my mind the most
moanersRus
Lifetime Registered User

Postby mr50p » Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:30 am

Digger there used to be a good one in Whitefield :wink:
mr50p
Lifetime Registered User

Postby loftyhermes » Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:56 pm

Caz wrote:If you buy online, you have the added hassle of contacting the company and waiting for replacements if something goes wrong.

Buy local - support your community!! :wink:

ensuite bathroom comes to mind here caz :lol: :lol: :lol:
Me slow??? I get up in the morning with nothing to do and go to bed at night with half of it done.
loftyhermes
Lifetime Registered User

Postby Caz » Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:41 pm

:oops: Absolutely Lofty!!! :lol:
Mrs Warsop Web, Warsop born and bred!
http://www.warsopweb.co.uk
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby Digger » Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:22 pm

Mr50p, I used to live between Bury and Whitefield but haven't been up there for years. I'm on the wrong side of town.

Regarding warranty repairs when buying on the net, some are excellent and Mesh are one of the highest rated, hence me using them. You can also trade up for on-site visits.
I wish I was fishing
Digger
Lifetime Registered User

Postby mr50p » Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:05 am

Me to lol
not far from the mayfair and Bessys lol :oops:
mr50p
Lifetime Registered User

Postby langameringue » Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:51 am

I can personally recomend Zygabyte Computers at Forest Town. Known the proprietor for years and his shop is well established. Just tell him what you want, your budget and he will build it from scratch at about half the price of the likes of P.C. World. Reliable after-sales as well. Shop is just past the Prince Charles pub at Forest Town 01623 658888 (Joe) zygabyte.com
No matter where you go-There you are!
langameringue
Super Registered User

Return to Tech' Zone