Warsop Web Community Forum

Warsop Web Homepage | Contact Us

RSS Feed

NORTON Antivirus

A place to discuss and post all about personal computing including new technlogy, reviews, technical support, networking and other home related technology issues.
Forum rules
Please READ: Forum Rules & Regulations

NORTON Antivirus

Postby 999Aidie » Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:34 pm

Hi,
I have Norton Antivirus running, mainly because it came with the machine on a 30 day trial, was not thrilled with it but it did work. After the trial period it cost about £ 40.00 for the subscription, well I was working 60hrs a week with another ten travelling, so I just pushed the button and paid up. However I found if I had a problem it was going to cost me $100.00 to ask a question, outrageous. I intended to go back to Trend Micro as they have always been spot on, and technical assistance is always free. Sadly when I set Norton on they set up an automatic subscription system, well it was coming around to renewal but it was some weeks away so I was not unduly concerned, when guess what, they renewed the subscription when there was still 26 days to go before the expiry of my original subs, my bank account had been robbed. Could not find the password or email address I had used when registering so I could not cancel, intended to go to the Bank and place a stop on Symantec, but they beat me to it.

Purplus in the States would have been my first port of call as they have a lot of discount software, pay by PayPal and you get the genuine product.

http://www.purplus.com

Will get my running shoes on next year, my own fault I suppose for not being cute enough.

P.S. Please don't forget you may have to pay Customs on imports.
Return with your Shield or on it. ------ Old Zulu war cry.
999Aidie
Lite Registered User

Re: NORTON Antivirus

Postby Andrew Daykin » Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:33 am

I use the FREE version of AGV on my laptop - its not a work computer they are all Mac's

http://free.avg.com/
I'm no expert, so please correct me if I'm wrong.
Andrew Daykin
Super Registered User

Postby Dale » Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:40 pm

I use the free AVG anti virus. I'm on PC running XP. Been Fine and had no problems. Well worth a look

Dale
"You don't take a photograph, you make it." - Ansel Adams -

http://www.dalemccormack.co.uk

http://dalemccormackphotography.blogspot.com/
Dale
Lite Registered User

Postby Digger » Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:54 pm

I had Norton for several years but recently bought a laptop which came with McAfee on a 30 day trial. It's fine and was a lot cheaper to sign up to plus it covered 3 PC's so I took it on and cancelled the Norton. I must admit that you have to go on their website, open your account and cancel the auto-renewal option and so I had no problem.

McAfee is cheaper, and also less hungry on the PC's resources so my older desktop PC now runs faster that it did when Norton clogged it up.
I wish I was fishing
Digger
Lifetime Registered User

Postby 999Aidie » Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:23 pm

Hi,
Managed to disable the auto renewal process. Nothing like getting your money in early.
Return with your Shield or on it. ------ Old Zulu war cry.
999Aidie
Lite Registered User

Postby merriman » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:27 pm

mcafee its the best
merriman
Lite Registered User

Postby Cat75 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:37 pm

McAfee is a nightmare lets the wrong things through and stops some of the things you need. try and get rid of it, its a nightmare
Cat75
Lifetime Registered User

Postby loftyhermes » Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:14 pm

I use Avira Antivir personal, and Comodo firewall both are free for personal use and nothing nasty has got onto my computer since I started using them and I think they should be given a try before you pay for one.
Me slow??? I get up in the morning with nothing to do and go to bed at night with half of it done.
loftyhermes
Lifetime Registered User

Return to Tech' Zone