Warsop Web Community Forum

Warsop Web Homepage | Contact Us

RSS Feed

Dongles

A place to discuss and post all about personal computing including new technlogy, reviews, technical support, networking and other home related technology issues.
Forum rules
Please READ: Forum Rules & Regulations

Dongles

Postby 999Aidie » Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:28 am

Hi,
Anyone tried a Mobile Broadband Dongle, I have a Vodafone dongle with 3gb data allowance, this works fine in Nottingham, have even had it working in Mansfield area. It's a lot better than looking for a Wi-Fi point but you have to be careful about long term contracts. When I purchased my stick I opted for a 30 day rolling contract so when future developments materialised I could take advantage of them straight away, I'm now looking at the Three ( 3 ) dongle at £ 15.00 month with 15gb, but this is on a 2 year contract, I need to be certain I can live with this, as they all have their own particular shark clauses in the contract.

Cheers,

999Aidie.
Return with your Shield or on it. ------ Old Zulu war cry.
999Aidie
Lite Registered User

Re: Dongles

Postby moanersRus » Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:32 am

Theres plenty of macdonalds, i think they still do free wireless lol.
Of all the things i've lost, i miss my mind the most
moanersRus
Lifetime Registered User

Postby Caz » Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:45 pm

My son has a Three dongle. He had a lot of trouble setting it up and got very little help, one person on their phone help desk even said it was because their network was down and to try again in a couple of days - very helpful indeed. They eventually acknowledged it was faulty and offered to send a courier to collect it and bring a replacement but it was advertised as money back guarantee and after the messing around he'd had, he decided to have his money back.

The website said it was an easy process, just phone to get a returns slip. But they wouldn't give him an address to return it to and kept putting him through to different departments when he phoned them. It was really frustrating, the phone calls were long and frequent and they obviously weren't going to give him a refund. They don't advertise their address on their website either so you can't send it back and you can't write to them about it, the only means of communication is by phone. The only thing he could do was agree to a replacemen, which they did with no trouble.

He's had no trouble with it since and it seems to work fine in most places around here.

Just don't buy one from their website if you think you might want a refund. Here, read this! http://threestore.three.co.uk/payg/dealsummary.aspx?offercode=DSLPP491
Mrs Warsop Web, Warsop born and bred!
http://www.warsopweb.co.uk
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby 999Aidie » Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:52 pm

Hi Caz,

Errrrr yes I did mention about shark clauses, most of these companies are run for their own benefit, it's just a case of finding one that is possibly not going to sting you too much when you run aground. I think my next move is to buy a 3 stick off eBay for about £ 23.00 and purchase a 3 sim on a rolling contract and see how it works. I remember reading somewhere that the3 upload speed was considerably reduced, that is something I can well do without, especially with all my websites and clients. I already have two rag dolls that I regularly stick pins into one is called Virgin Branson and the other called BT ( Stands for Bitter Twist ). Never had any instantaneous reactions yet but I really do keep trying, perhaps the pins are not long enough or could be they need re-sharpening. It's amazing how many traps you can fall into, I've just had my fingers burned while trying to purchase a Camera that was later revealed to be out of stock, "but that's OK sir we have not debited your account" > no they did not take the money, they just tied it up so I am now facing anything up to two weeks before it's fully back into my account, when a company claims they will not debit your account until the goods are dispatched they are telling porkies, your money is taken and it's just the same as if it had been debited straight away.

Cheers,

999Aidie
999Aidie
Lite Registered User

Postby whitevanman » Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:06 am

3 are notorious for fobbing you off, there are many forums about it.
If you read their T & C's they will refuse an exchange or money back even if you have inserted in your computer.
They will refuse to exchange or refund a phone even if you have just inserted the sim card or switched it on.

How the hell are you supposed to know if it works without trying it.

There is no address whatsoever on any of their website pages.

One of quickest ways to get a problem sorted is to ring the Chief Executives office number. It is also in the UK!!!

They are usually quite helpful....

0870 7330295
whitevanman
Moderator Team Member
Moderator Team Member

Postby Caz » Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:22 am

I can endorse that Whitey. They state quite clearly on their website that their 14 day money back guarantee applies even if you change your mind. They give you a number to phone to get a returns number, but when you phone they pass you from one department to another. You even end up speaking to the same person twice sometimes, so I think they just pass you to the next person in the call centre!! You can almost hear them smirking!

They didn't have a problem giving my son a replacement, in fact they offered that straight away, but were they heck as like going to give him a refund! He even went into the Three shop and they didn't want to know because he'd bought it from their website. The one who told him the network was down was telling porkies, because when he phoned again two days later he was told there hadn't been a network problem. He just didn't want to spend time helping anyone on a Friday night. We also thought they were stalling until the 14 days were up. So beware!!!

It isn't just Three though, it seems to be all the mobile companies. As some of you know from my previous posts, I've also had big problems with Orange phones and with Sky and so I can't understand how these companies still get away with this!! It's time the government stepped in methinks!

Aidie, just for the record, the only ones I've ever been happy with are BT, but that's landline and internet, not mobiles.
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby 999Aidie » Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:00 pm

Hi Caz,
Quote >> Aidie, just for the record, the only ones I've ever been happy with are BT, but that's landline and internet, not mobiles.

I opted for BT two years ago, I took offices in Nottingham and asked for the Business packages as they are supposed to be better served than Domestic lines. I had Broadband ( Up to 8mb ) Voice over phone etc etc.

The engineer turned up and installed the line, then out came a bag of connectors and but the time they had finished it looked like a Christmas Tree. I kept saying " That will never work " Well it didn't, Broadband was half meg if you were lucky, emails up to two days to be delivered. I was wrapping up one Friday night after a heavy day and noticed something wrong, I checked the Email box, SIXTY Emails were still waiting to get out on to the Internet, I was lucky to get away that night at eight o clock. The Voice Over phone was rubbish, always dropping out, after nearly three months I had to call it a day, BT wanted to land a bill for £ 2,000.00 round my neck for cancelling, ended up with OFCOM sorting them out. They were falling over themselves to get my business at the start, but when it came to the crunch and the complaints started they turned into right stinkers, they ignored me or constantly fobbed me off with excuses, absolutely atrocious, and an even worse story with Virgin Media, will save that for another day.
999Aidie
Lite Registered User

Postby Caz » Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:16 am

They're all tarred with the same brush. It's time someone stepped in to stop them all ripping off the public. As I said, I think BT are the only ones who haven't upset me yet.
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby 999Aidie » Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:44 am

None of us liked being messed about, and in a perfect world we would have proper customer care, but in the savage world of Big business it's the customer that carries the can for corporate success, by being shut out, lied to, driven to distraction and if all the main players adopt the same strategy then you sink in their mire. You have to be thankful that if it's working then leave it like that, because it may not always stay that way.
999Aidie
Lite Registered User

Return to Tech' Zone