Warsop Web Community Forum

Warsop Web Homepage | Contact Us

RSS Feed

Vista

A place to discuss and post all about personal computing including new technlogy, reviews, technical support, networking and other home related technology issues.
Forum rules
Please READ: Forum Rules & Regulations

Postby Caz » Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:01 am

I've heard reports that it's improved over the past three or four months and I do know a few people who do get on with it, but it still won't run my software! So I'm sticking with my downgrade because it's just not compatible with my work machines and software, plus it's still no good for doing screenshots for what I teach. Nope, I'm afraid Vista still gets the thumbs down from me.
Mrs Warsop Web, Warsop born and bred!
http://www.warsopweb.co.uk
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby Digger » Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:24 pm

I think individuals with a few programmes that work don't have any major issues. None of my customers are touching it yet.
I wish I was fishing
Digger
Lifetime Registered User

Postby Magic » Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:26 pm

It seems okay stability wise and newish software (as well as properly written older software :P :lol: ) normally works well.
Legacy wise, well...hello virtualisation :twisted:

UAC is a good idea but those auth boxes are really annoying at times.
Downloading the old winhelp in a near must.
Eye candy is expensive.
The default action for the power button (for a laptop at least) is standby.

Just a few of my thoughts :)
Non-Live Local Weather Data, Click Here, wind speed not correct yet.
---
Don't turn your back on the cat - it'll be under the floorboards like a rat up a drain pipe.
Magic
Support & Developer Team Member

Postby Caz » Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:48 pm

magic wrote:It seems okay stability wise and newish software (as well as properly written older software :P :lol: )
And doesn't work with some 'well labelled and very expensive software', such as Macromedia, Adobe etc! I'm sure there are patches, but you've got to find them first. Some of my software is years old though, I've got four versions of Dreamweaver and I use them all becasue I have some old websites, that I wrote in earlier versions and it's just easier for me to update them in their original programmes. In any case I've forgotten the ftp passwords for some of them. :roll:
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby Magic » Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:07 pm

(re passwords) I hope your all backed up then :lol:

That's where you feel the benefit of non OEM software as you can transfer your old system accross and run it on your new one. (conditions apply)

But since the downgrade path is there that's good too :D

---
I might add that I deffinately wouldn't pay the retail price for Vista
Non-Live Local Weather Data, Click Here, wind speed not correct yet.
---
Don't turn your back on the cat - it'll be under the floorboards like a rat up a drain pipe.
Magic

Postby Caz » Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:15 pm

Yes, I have got everything double backed up! :wink: It's my network passwords and usernames into my server that I forget. It's not difficult to change them, just inconvenient and time consuming.
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Re: Vista

Postby gem » Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:10 am

I too hate vista its over complicated who need colorfull interface i prefer stability

here is a list of windows in order of how much i like them:
XP (brilliant)
2000 (Better than good)
98 (good)
95 (good)
MEEEEE.... (old fassiond vista lol)
3.11 (OLD)
last and least VISTA!!!! :wink: :lol:
George hobbies: computers and electronics
gem
Lite Registered User

Postby Caz » Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:28 am

I'm with you all the way on that Gem. I remember when windows first came out and after DOS, it was amazing. The one thing we couldn't get used to though was the mouse!!! Previously our only input devise was a keyboar. We did like the colourful screen though, previously colour had meant yellow text on a blue screen instead of black and white! :lol:
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby Porthos » Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:58 am

Ah the good old days of DOS :D When Windows was just an optional fancy utility :lol:
Some people are like slinkies - not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs!
Porthos
Lifetime Registered User

Postby gem » Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:54 pm

I remember having fun with Some BASIC Computers (basic being the programming language)
there slow and so is there tape drive, 3 hours later. MY GAMES LOADED so it crashes at 99 percent because your screaming sent it out of tune
ive got a ZX spectrum +2 i beleve, but my dad lent me his even older one, the zx atualy has gone out of tune and mine was the model before the one with the tune feature..... :evil: [-(
my dads dousent come with a tape drive so u have to link up a tape player to get it going

BASIC
PRINT "Hello"
thats all i remember
gem
Lite Registered User

Postby Caz » Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:04 pm

My first computer was a Vic 20. Ask your dad if he remembers them! :lol:
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby gem » Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:46 pm

My dad says he remembers them, wanted one for ages but they were far to expencive by the time he had got a job they were obsolite but all his friends had got the A500 so dad waited and got one of the first amiga 1200 (realesed in 1992) before that he had a calsio handheld basic (looks like a calculator) :lol:
gem
Lite Registered User

Postby Caz » Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:15 pm

I think it was around 1983 when I had the Vic 20. I didn't mean to get into computing either but somehow I did, then when I started writing websites in 1996 there were no programmes to write them with, we had to write out the HTML code longhand in notepad! I remember the first time I managed to make a word flash on a website using code tags, I thought I was the bees knees and so did everyone else! :lol:
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby Digger » Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:53 pm

I bought my first PC (an ICL Model M30) in 1990 through a staff purchase scheme because I worked for them. It was delivered to home, we paid for it over 3 years, and we had to load all the software ourselves. It came with MS Works and took ages to learn because we'd only ever used dumb terminals in the office. About 9 months later the company put a PC on everyone's desk and because we'd already trained ourselves we were straight into using them.

Don't think that anyone who works for an IT company is at the forefront of all new technology 'cos we ain't!!
I wish I was fishing
Digger
Lifetime Registered User

Postby Tomas Drouty » Sun Nov 23, 2008 6:32 pm

My first computer was an Amstrad CPC 464... it had the yellow writing on the blue screen Caz :D

It had the tape deck which you used to load the games ... press ctrl+enter then play and any key to get it going :lol: .

The games took forever to load (18 minutes for one of them!). It must have been late 80s early 90s when we had it and it was mine and my older brother's Christmas present. I distinctly remember cutting out the picture of it from my mum's catalogue and staring at it everyday from about September because I was sooooo excited about getting it!

I can also remember doing some basic programming on it to get the screen to strobe ... it was brilliant if you turned the lights off because if you got the flash right it did double up as a strobe machine.
Attachments
amstrad_cpc464.jpg
amstrad_cpc464.jpg (145.39 KiB) Viewed 9355 times
Tomas Drouty
Moderator Team Leader
Moderator Team Leader

PreviousNext

Return to Tech' Zone