Warsop Web Community Forum

Warsop Web Homepage | Contact Us

RSS Feed

XP?

A place to discuss and post all about personal computing including new technlogy, reviews, technical support, networking and other home related technology issues.
Forum rules
Please READ: Forum Rules & Regulations

XP?

Postby Caz » Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:57 am

Please anyone? I've got a new computer and it has Vista, which I don't like. Need to get XP onto it before I'll touch it.
Mrs Warsop Web, Warsop born and bred!
http://www.warsopweb.co.uk
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby allseeing » Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:19 am

You should give it a chance, I recently got it too and it's great now I can use it.
If you have a xp cd & key you should reinstall, otherwise you'll have to buy a new xp cd!
Vision is the art of seeing what is invisible to others.
allseeing
Lite Registered User

Postby moanersRus » Sun Jan 06, 2008 2:27 am

did you get a cd with it to roll back? if not don't know if porthos has any if not www.web-systems.co.uk xphome is around 56 quid.
Of all the things i've lost, i miss my mind the most
moanersRus
Lifetime Registered User

Postby Caz » Sun Jan 06, 2008 2:30 am

I'm really not sure what it came with. Our Dan specked it and built it on his Dad's instructions. Vista just doesn't like my web developers software and I can't manage without that, I have three different versions of it to keep all my websites going.

I'll check with our Dan.
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby moanersRus » Sun Jan 06, 2008 2:33 am

not all companies offer it but some are giving a disc that enables you to roll back. without the disc i think its a reformat as i've tried to find a way for dads laptop as he cant get on with it either

when he opens a file and re saves after working it moves from the folder where it was saved and puts it into a "recently used" folder and theres no way to move it back.
Of all the things i've lost, i miss my mind the most
moanersRus
Lifetime Registered User

Postby Caz » Sun Jan 06, 2008 2:37 am

Yes mines getting another re-format! I just don't like Vista and can't be bothered downloading all the fixes and patches for my older software, so I'm going back to what I know best. Thanks anyway. :wink:
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby Digger » Sun Jan 06, 2008 4:09 pm

As I mentioned on another thread, I'm looking for a replacement too. A colleague of mine bought a Pc from PC World just before Xmas, the Vista licence number wouldn't work. He asked for a replacement key (on their help line at £1+ a minute) and they said that he had to send the complete package back for a replacement. He couldn't even take it into his local store for them to rebuild it. In the end he sent the whole lot back and bought one from Comet.

He also hates Vista and has advised me against it. He's looking for a copy of XP on e-Bay!

I bought Computer Shopper yesterday and they were running a comparison on 6 "perfect PC's" of similar price. It's noticeable in their comments that on one of the 5* performers a plus point was that the supplier (RL Supplies) despatch the Pc with XP Home Edition rather than Vista if you want it. I'm looking for similar suppliers before I place my order.
I wish I was fishing
Digger
Lifetime Registered User

Postby Caz » Sun Jan 06, 2008 6:43 pm

I know there are always teething problems with new operating systems but Vista seems to have had more than its fair share. It's more like a Beta version and will probably go the same way 'Millennium' went - through the window (no pun intended). Our Dan runs Vista on his machine and he's OK with it, but his main use is online gaming, whereas my computer's a workhorse.

Apart from the fact I just don't like Vista and it won't easily run my older software, it's no good for me because I use screen shots in the teaching material I produce for lessons delivered on XP machines. Maybe the resistance to change comes with age as well! :roll:
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby whitevanman » Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:06 pm

I hate Vista with a passion, but if i remove it my warranty is void so i am giving it a year to try and cope with it. I suppose i must go with the "advancements" in technology :roll:

If i'm still struggling, or there is no updates i will wipe it and reinstall XP.
The only problem i MAY see with this, is will XP accept any files from Vista :?
whitevanman
Moderator Team Member
Moderator Team Member

Postby Caz » Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:15 pm

I doubt XP will be backwards compatible, so be careful. Maybe you should try opening a Vista file on a machine with XP.
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby Digger » Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:36 pm

In the computer press this week MS are working on Service Pack 3 for XP. It's under beta testing at the moment and will probably be released in the summer, so MS are committed to supporting it for a while yet.

As you say, a lot of applications won't work with Vista which is crazy - but this is MS - arrogant to the end, yet all the PC suppliers fall over themselves to supply it. New PC's are being advertised with 2Gb and 3Gb of memory as if it's a bonus. My guess is you need it ro run the blasted thing.
I wish I was fishing
Digger
Lifetime Registered User

Postby Caz » Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:00 pm

It's good to hear there's going to be a service pack 3. Like you say Digger, it shows they're still committed to it and maybe also shows their acknowledgment to the Vista resistance. :roll:
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby Tomas Drouty » Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:20 pm

Well have to admit that I got my new pc during August.

It's been in for repair 3 times .. taking a month each time. So out of the last 5 months my new all singing and dancing PC I've only had it working for 2 of those.

I blame the fact that it's vista.
Tomas Drouty
Moderator Team Leader
Moderator Team Leader

Postby La Fiama » Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:43 pm

mines a Vista and it works great, had it a few months now, the other computer I had was to slow
La Fiama

Postby Gazzer » Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:52 pm

Tomas Drouty wrote:I blame the fact that it's vista.

Dito
Gazzer
Support & Development Team Leader
Support & Development Team Leader

Next

Return to Tech' Zone