Warsop Web Community Forum

Warsop Web Homepage | Contact Us

RSS Feed

Orange Wireless

A place to discuss and post all about personal computing including new technlogy, reviews, technical support, networking and other home related technology issues.
Forum rules
Please READ: Forum Rules & Regulations

Orange Wireless

Postby moanersRus » Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:13 pm

Does anyone use the orange wireless?

mine has been having fits and stops working, not done it as much recently but keeps losing connection then comes back. i theory is that orange do such a good deal that there overloaded and have just upgraded servers. or my box is dodgy.
Of all the things i've lost, i miss my mind the most
moanersRus
Lifetime Registered User

Postby Cheshire Cat » Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:24 am

I had that. Eventually it went completely dead. It's great fun talking to the tech boys and girls in Mumbai.

They only have nine minutes to solve your problem. After that they lose their bonus. The one that told me that got quite agitated. He's probably lost his bonus for the next three years
Cheshire Cat
Lite Registered User

Postby whitevanman » Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:20 am

GOD, i'm bl**dy sick to death tonight. On......then OFF....... then ON.......then OFF again

And in between as slow as $%**!,
makes me wish i had the old dial up back

Got that fed up, the last time i relogged on, i started writing "pi****g computer" as my password :roll: :lol:
whitevanman
Moderator Team Member
Moderator Team Member

Postby Troy » Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:57 am

whitevanman wrote:GOD, i'm bl**dy sick to death tonight. On......then OFF....... then ON.......then OFF again

And in between as slow as $%**!,
makes me wish i had the old dial up back

Got that fed up, the last time i relogged on, i started writing "pi****g computer" as my password :roll: :lol:

:shock: :shock:

Go give Orange a good kick up A## :x
Wont help.....but will make you feel better :D
The greatest healing therapy is friendship and love,

You never love someone because they are beautiful; they are beautiful because you LOVE them
Troy
Lifetime Registered User

Postby moanersRus » Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:49 pm

i've found the orangeproblems forum website and it appears to be rather a large problem.

SOLUTION

when contract runs out cancel and find another provider. have asked if getting a dif router would solve it as people on that forum have said they had a replacement and did not work either.

others say it because orange is over subscribed which is what i suspected.
moanersRus
Lifetime Registered User

Postby Caz » Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:18 pm

Our Dan's just had another problem with Orange phone, yet again. The last one was due to the masts being down for almost 3 months. His 18 month contract ended in November but then got a bill, so Dan went into the Orange shop and was told you have to inform them you want to cancel. So he told them he wanted it doing there and then and they said it was all done.

Then another bill came last week so I phoned them. They said they hadn't received notification to cancel. They said I could do it there and then over the phone but you have to give 30 days notice! :shock: So even though the phone hasn't been used since November, he's still got to pay for it until his 30 days are up. I wasn't happy with it and got put through to someone else who said he'd find out what had happened by contacting the shop. He was supposed to have phoned me back but never did.

How do I know that they've cancelled it this time? You just don't know what to believe. Anyway, I just phoned them again to find out what was happening and had to explain the whole thing again because it was yet another different person! I was told it has to be paid but on a brighter note, the contract has been cancelled and finishes on 14th Feb. :roll: :twisted:
Mrs Warsop Web, Warsop born and bred!
http://www.warsopweb.co.uk
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby moanersRus » Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:38 pm

they should send a final bill

http://www.orangeproblems.co.uk/phpBB2/
moanersRus
Lifetime Registered User

Postby Mustaine » Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:59 pm

Can anyone please tell me if there is a limit to the number of PCs which can run wireless from one livebox?

In summary we had one laptop wired (don't ask me why!! just the way I worked it) and 2 desk tops which were wireless. The laptop has now died and we have a new one which is wireless. One of the desk tops still works with a wireless thingy but the other one can't connect & our livebox isn't even recognised - we just have next door's broadband on the list of connections.

Been through to India (I think) to no avail. The network is Orange - formerly Wanadoo. Any help greatly appreciated.
Mustaine
Lite Registered User

Postby flosnik » Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:12 pm

i was thinking about going with orange but one of the things they fail to mention to most people is that there is a wireless comp/laptop limit,

i cant remember exactly how many it is now, because i decided not to go with them in the end because we have 3 computer and 2 laptops on wireless in this house because there all spread out all over the house and would have been a nightmare to try to wire them all up,

anyways your best bet would be disconnect the laptop off the wireless that works then retry the one that dosnt work to see if it picks the signal up,

even try resetting your box because sometimes they have an internal error so that new comps/laptops to the wireless cannot pick it up but the ones that have used it before can pick it up, but restarting the box will resolve it if that is the problem.

another option is to test your line speed, sometimes peoples lines just arnt strong enough to carry to much info at once, i have a bt line and to test my line i can go to www.btspeedtest.com i think it is, anyways if you google it for an internet speed tester it will come up, if its not very fast that might be one of your problems too
flosnik
Lite Registered User

Postby Mustaine » Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:19 pm

Thanks Flosnik. I am very PC illiterate - as you've probably gathered - I don't do technical stuff - it's just too hard! The reason the tech staff couldn't help was apparently due to the wireless adaptor on the 2nd desktop being a brand that Orange don't recognise (Belkin) - the other one was supplied by them with the livebox. They have said to contact Belkin- who I have no idea where/who, etc, to see if the settings have changed. I was on the phone for 43 minutes!!! I may just take you up on your offer of PC help if I can't resolve this.
Mustaine
Lite Registered User

Postby Magic » Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:32 pm

That would make sense for a tech support line, since Belkin products are only widely available and well used! :roll:

In order for a site survey to work properly ensure that "ESSID Broardcast" and/or "Accept 'Any' SSID" are set to enabled on your router.

Belkins website (Click Here) - has some useful info on it (like pdfs of the manuals if you've lost the one that came with your hardware) but they are unlikely to be able to provide you with any specific help with your problem.

Ultimately, if you don't understand what you're doing twiddling with these sorts of things then your probably best off getting sombody out, as you are already considering. Good luck!
Non-Live Local Weather Data, Click Here, wind speed not correct yet.
---
Don't turn your back on the cat - it'll be under the floorboards like a rat up a drain pipe.
Magic
Support & Developer Team Member
Support & Developer Team Member

Postby flosnik » Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:49 pm

the belkin adapter should work, i have installed a few belkin adapters on other peoples computers who have orange,... they all seem to work fine... the support line will tell you things like that for the simple reasons they dont want to have to send another box out if it is faulty and they will also try to tell people its the adapters they have got that are not compatible to try and get them to buy things off them (for more money).... the only compatiblity issue that people have problems with is trying to use certain routers on certain networks ... i.e belkin... but ur only tryin to use the wireless card...... wich should work fine .... if anything you might need to download a patch... let me know the model number of the belkin wireless you have got and i will be able to tell you for sure if it should work without problem
flosnik
Lite Registered User

Postby Mustaine » Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:02 am

Thank you to you both.

The Belkin adapter is model no. F5D7050.
The other one is one which was sent to us with the live box & the new laptop has a built in adapter. The old lap top was connected to the livebox with an ethernet cable which is all disconnected now. The livebox is plugged into a phone line, along with the phone cable.

Basically, if I remember right, I was told to press the no. 1 on the livebox & hold for 2 secs, then enter the WAP key & it should connect - but it won't.
Mustaine
Lite Registered User

Postby moanersRus » Sat Feb 23, 2008 2:10 am

to pair up you press the No.1 button. did you search for networks before typing in the wap key?

try this link, its oranges guide to setting up a wireless connection using a third party device

http://help.orange.co.uk/documentDispla ... alue=kb164
moanersRus
Lifetime Registered User

Postby whitevanman » Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:37 pm

Struggling again tonight, this **£$&** orange wireless gizmo thingy whatsit keeps knocking me off.

Get halfway through a post and tinternet just vanishes for the next few minutes, fed up now think i'll go to bed and see if it works tomorrow :twisted:
whitevanman
Moderator Team Member
Moderator Team Member

Next

Return to Tech' Zone