Warsop Web Community Forum

Warsop Web Homepage | Contact Us

RSS Feed

A quiz for people who know everything

Keep your mind occupied online with a whole host of games, quizzes, puzzles and brainteasers to share and solve amongst our other forum members.
Forum rules
Please READ: Forum Rules & Regulations

A quiz for people who know everything

Postby loftyhermes » Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:18 pm

This is a quiz for people who know everything!
I found out in a hurry that I didn't.
These are not trick questions.
They are straight questions with straight answers.

1. Name the one sport in which neither the spectators nor the participants know the score or the leader until the contest ends.

2. What famous North American landmark is constantly moving backward?

3. Of all vegetables, only two can live to produce on their own for several growing seasons. All other vegetables must be replanted every year. What are the only two perennial vegetables?

4. What fruit has its seeds on the outside?

5. In many wine stores, you can buy pear brandy, with a real pear inside the bottle. The pear is whole and ripe, and the bottle is genuine; it hasn't been cut in any way. How did the pear get inside the bottle?

6. Only three words in standard English begin with the letters 'dw' and they are all common words.. Name two of them.

7. There are 14 punctuation marks in English grammar. Can you name at least half of them?

8. Name the only vegetable or fruit that is never sold frozen, canned, processed, cooked, or in any other form except fresh.

9. Name 6 or more things that you can wear on your feet beginning with the letter 'S'

Answers next week
Me slow??? I get up in the morning with nothing to do and go to bed at night with half of it done.
loftyhermes
Lifetime Registered User

Re: A quiz for people who know everything

Postby Tomas Drouty » Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:54 pm

These are the answers I think I know:

2. What famous North American landmark is constantly moving backward?

Niagara Falls

4. What fruit has its seeds on the outside?

Strawberry or raspberry

5. In many wine stores, you can buy pear brandy, with a real pear inside the bottle. The pear is whole and ripe, and the bottle is genuine; it hasn't been cut in any way. How did the pear get inside the bottle?

The bottle was attached to the tree as the pear was growing

6. Only three words in standard English begin with the letters 'dw' and they are all common words.. Name two of them.
Dwarf ...

7. There are 14 punctuation marks in English grammar. Can you name at least half of them?

full stop, comma, apostrophe, exclamation mark, question mark, colon, semi-colon, speech marks (that's one more than needed).

8. Name the only vegetable or fruit that is never sold frozen, canned, processed, cooked, or in any other form except fresh.

cucumber

9. Name 6 or more things that you can wear on your feet beginning with the letter 'S'

Sandals, shoes, socks, stilettos, stockings, sneakers
Tomas Drouty
Moderator Team Leader
Moderator Team Leader

Postby Caz » Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:42 pm

A quick go at this....

Sport - Fishing, nobody knows until the catch is weighed

Fruit with seeds on the outside - also blackberry, loganberry other soft fruit

The Pear - As TD say's, or the pear is dehydrated, put in the bottle where it re-hydrates.

Perennial Veg - asparagus

DW - dwell, dwindle, dwarf

Fruit only sold fresh - bannana

Footwear - as TD and also slippers and skis.
Mrs Warsop Web, Warsop born and bred!
http://www.warsopweb.co.uk
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby Tomas Drouty » Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:33 pm

Caz wrote:Fruit only sold fresh - bannana

Nope .. you can buy freeze dried banana chips .. like those you sometimes get in muesli.
Tomas Drouty
Moderator Team Leader
Moderator Team Leader

Postby Caz » Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:08 pm

OK, well I think cucumber would come under zuccini or gherkins and you can buy them pickled. I know the answer now though cos I looked it up on t'internet
but it wouldn't be fair if I said lettuce would it! :lol:
Mrs Warsop Web, Warsop born and bred!
http://www.warsopweb.co.uk
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby loftyhermes » Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:58 pm

Well it's time for the answers, so here they are, just for Caz and Tomas.

1. The one sport in which neither the spectators nor the participants know the score or the leader until the contest ends.
Boxing

2. North American landmark constantly moving backward.
Niagara Falls
(The rim is worn down about two and a half feet each year because of the millions of Gallons of water that rush over it every minute..)

3. Only two vegetables that can live to produce on their own for several growing seasons . .
Asparagus and rhubarb .

4. The fruit with its seeds on the outside ..
Strawberry.

5. How did the pear get inside the brandy bottle?
It grew inside the bottle.
(The bottles are placed over pear buds when they are small, and are wired in place on the tree. The bottle is left in place for the entire growing season. When the pears are ripe, they are snipped off at the stems.)

6. Three English words beginning with dw
Dwarf, dwell and dwindle .

7. Fourteen punctuation marks in English grammar.
Period, comma, colon, semicolon, dash, hyphen, apostrophe, question mark, exclamation point, quotation marks, brackets, parenthesis, braces, and ellipses..

8. The only vegetable or fruit never sold frozen, canned, processed, cooked, or in any other form but fresh
Lettuce..

9. Six or more things you can wear on your feet beginning with 'S'.
Shoes, socks, sandals, sneakers, slippers, skis, skates, snowshoes, stockings, stilts.
Me slow??? I get up in the morning with nothing to do and go to bed at night with half of it done.
loftyhermes
Lifetime Registered User

Return to Puzzle Corner