Warsop Web Community Forum

Warsop Web Homepage | Contact Us

RSS Feed

Syria and the vote

Discuss anything which is not specific to the Warsop area. Participate in all topics and have a good old chit-chat with other members of the the community.
Forum rules
Please READ: Forum Rules & Regulations

Syria and the vote

Postby Westmorland » Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:03 pm

Our local MP Sir Alan Meale last night on our behalf voted not to bomb ISIS in Syria

Not quite sure why he voted this way but he did
Westmorland
Lifetime Registered User

Re: Syria and the vote

Postby Caz » Thu Dec 03, 2015 6:22 pm

I'm really not sure what I think about the whole thing. I don't think Europe is united on it either.
Mrs Warsop Web, Warsop born and bred!
http://www.warsopweb.co.uk
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby Little Ol' Me » Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:38 am

Of all our local representatives, only Gloria Del Pierro down in Ashfield voted with Dave on this one.

http://www.chad.co.uk/news/local/syria-air-strikes-how-did-your-mp-vote-1-7604787

As for the "why", I would argue that constituent opinion appears to be effective up here, at least on this issue.

https://yougov.co.uk/news/2015/12/02/analysis-sharp-fall-support-air-strikes-syria/

I don't wish to get in to the rights ad wrongs of the policy, cos lord knows there are entrenched views on both sides that won't be won over by furious typing on a keyboard. But there is an interesting discussion to be had as to whether MPs are there to represent the views of their constituents, or do the best for their constituents, based on info tat said constituents aren't always privy to.
"Don't eat the jelly! Don't eat the jelly! I made it with frog wee. It'll turn your teeth green... Like mini apples."
Little Ol' Me
Lite Registered User

Postby Westmorland » Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:55 pm

Vernon Cocker of Gedling and a Nottingham Labour MP also in my opinion took the correct course of action and voted for air strikes

I think the abuse and threats some Labour MPS such as Stella Casey and her office staff are receiving on twitter and Facebook for voting for airstrikes is disgracefuL
Westmorland
Lifetime Registered User

Postby Little Ol' Me » Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:29 pm

Of course it is. As being called a "terrorist sympathiser" by the leader of the country for having the temerity to have a differing opinion to him.

No one comes out of this with any dignity.
"Don't eat the jelly! Don't eat the jelly! I made it with frog wee. It'll turn your teeth green... Like mini apples."
Little Ol' Me
Lite Registered User

Postby Westmorland » Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:29 pm

This is the problem with politics, everyone has their own agenda , you only have to see the TV Drama 'House of Cards,' to see the darker side of politics, and this drama/book was written by a former MP

No one has ever forgotten the dodgy dossier that was used to lead us into the Iraq War and no one wants to make the same mistake, we still await the inquiry into that war and whether it was legal or not and I think this still haunts alot of Labour MPs which resulted in many of them voting No.
Westmorland
Lifetime Registered User

Postby Westmorland » Sat Dec 05, 2015 3:41 pm

115 years ago the scorched earth policy was implemented in the Boer War.

Lord Kitchener applied scorched earth policy during the latter part of the Second Boer War (1899–1902) when the Boers, not conforming to classic military defeat when their two capital cities were captured, but never on the battlefield, adopted the first modern form of what we know today as guerrilla warfare, in order to rid their republics of the British. As a result the British ordered destruction of the farms and the homes of civilians in order to prevent the still-fighting Boers from obtaining food and supplies. An eloquent description of this comes from an Army officer at the time. This destruction left women and children without means to survive since crops and livestock were also destroyed.

The existence of the concentration camps was exposed by Emily Hobhouse, who toured the camps and began petitioning the British government to change its policy. In an attempt to counter Hobhouse's activism, the British commissioned the Fawcett Commission, that confirmed Hobhouse's findings.The British later perceived the concentration camps as a humanitarian measure, to care for displaced persons until the war was ended, in response to the Hobhouse and Fawcett reports. Negligence by the British, lack of planning and supplies and overcrowding led to much loss of life. A decade after the war P.L.A. Goldman officially determined that an astonishing number of 27,927 Boers died in the concentration camps: 26,251 women and children (of whom more than 22,000 were under the age of 16), and 1,676 men over the age of 16, of whom 1,421 were aged persons.

No one has ever been held accountable for these war crimes and there has not even been a formal apology?
Westmorland
Lifetime Registered User

Postby BigAl » Sun Dec 06, 2015 9:01 pm

It is widely known in Europe that these terrorists are trying to obtain a nuclear caperbility.
In my oplnlon we and the yanks should let them have some. :D We just need to get the delivery method and address for delivery right :lol:
Screw the padded room, give me a trampoline floor with bubble wrapped walls and a velcro ceiling.
BigAl
Lifetime Registered User

Location: Where the road takes me now i have stopped fighting my inner feelings, we are on the same side now,

Return to General Chatter