Warsop Web Community Forum

Warsop Web Homepage | Contact Us

RSS Feed

Ambulance call outs to Sports Direct

Discuss anything which is not specific to the Warsop area. Participate in all topics and have a good old chit-chat with other members of the the community.
Forum rules
Please READ: Forum Rules & Regulations

Re: Ambulance call outs to Sports Direct

Postby Westmorland » Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:31 am

I can remember the fictional TV drama Auf Weidershein Pet,,,,,,were a group of unemployed English men from Newcastle travelled to Germany to work because there was no work for them in this country

Although it was a drama it was based on a real theme of men from the UK going over to Europe to work, tax free many in Germany on building sites

We didnt hear all the moans and gripes from people then saying they are taking jobs from Germans, French People, Dutch etc.. however when people start doing the same thing from Europe and come to work here in the UK we are very quick to use the racist card and moan about them

I know for a fact from a source at Sports Direct that if they turn down people for jobs they get very offensive emails sent to them from the job applicants
Westmorland
Lifetime Registered User

Postby Caz » Sat Oct 10, 2015 5:40 pm

Magic wrote:I've worked some unskilled positions and know what it's like to be viewed as a piece of machinery by a tier of middle management, some people are quite sensitive to that - most of us aren't usually bothered by the odd nutter :lol:
My point, though, is I was never given the option to work while people where shipped in from afar - I'm not suggesting that is the companies fault or responsibility (can think of a few reasonable explanations why it happened the way it did) just that the assumption that positions are being filled by immigration solely because the local workforce is unwilling might not be wholly accurate.

-
Are a lot of the warehouse staff agency or employed directly?
What I've heard while talking sounds like the extreme case rather than the norm but I've not paid much attention to it tbh.
Yes, a lot of the warehouse workers are agency staff and they are the ones these programmes generally focus on. I know also that a lot of people won't work through agencies because of their reputation but I've worked with agencies and have had no problems. They've got to abide by employment laws which stipulate the minimum of everything, so agencies tend to stick to the minimum of everything.

There's also the other side to employment, the employers side. And most people don't think about the consequences of making demands. Maybe I do because I've been an employer and know how difficult it is to match workload with staff and keep to a budget.

I work for minimum wage but overlook some other entitlements because if they were met the company couldn't afford to run and none of us would have jobs. Next April, the National Living Wage comes into force and everyone over 25 will get a further 50p an hour pay, on top of the 20p rise we've just had. That means our prices will have to go up and we may not get enough work to keep us running.

The law will apply to all companies, so they'll all have to increase their prices to meet the increased wages bills and the increase will have to be passed on to the consumer, so nobody wins in the end. I might be better off in my pay packet but my cost of living will have risen equally.

Sorry, I went a bit off topic! :)
Mrs Warsop Web, Warsop born and bred!
http://www.warsopweb.co.uk
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby Caz » Sat Oct 10, 2015 5:47 pm

Westmorland wrote:I can remember the fictional TV drama Auf Weidershein Pet,,,,,,were a group of unemployed English men from Newcastle travelled to Germany to work because there was no work for them in this country

Although it was a drama it was based on a real theme of men from the UK going over to Europe to work, tax free many in Germany on building sites

We didnt hear all the moans and gripes from people then saying they are taking jobs from Germans, French People, Dutch etc.. however when people start doing the same thing from Europe and come to work here in the UK we are very quick to use the racist card and moan about them

I know for a fact from a source at Sports Direct that if they turn down people for jobs they get very offensive emails sent to them from the job applicants

I'm certainly not complaining about Eastern Europeans working here. If someone's earning a living, I don't care what nationality they are. I'm saying the fact we do have so many non-nationals in work just shows how many jobs there are. My gripe is that the benefits system still allows perfectly capable people to live off the taxpayer instead of making them work for a living.
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby Westmorland » Sat Oct 10, 2015 6:24 pm

I remember at the age of 18 I was sent on a Youth Opportunities Scheme due to the high unemployment and the YOP scheme paid £25 a week whereby unemployment benefit was about £30, although I was getting £5 a week less I didn't complain as I was learning and working

Warsop Satation was the local civil engineering offic for British Rail (Eastern0 and looked after the railway from Shirebrook to High Marnham and to the sidings near Clipstone. Mansfield itself came under the Midlands area.

I was made assistant to the timekeeper helping him in the office and was also taken out on trips with the Permanent Way Engineer on site inspections and along the railways tracks which was interesting

I worked Monday to Friday 7.30 till 4pm

In 1983 there were not the amount of benefits there are are now but there was also the urge to want to work

There was no minimum wage either
Westmorland
Lifetime Registered User

Postby Caz » Sat Oct 10, 2015 6:39 pm

Westmorland wrote:I remember at the age of 18 I was sent on a Youth Opportunities Scheme due to the high unemployment and the YOP scheme paid £25 a week whereby unemployment benefit was about £30, although I was getting £5 a week less I didn't complain as I was learning and working

Warsop Satation was the local civil engineering offic for British Rail (Eastern0 and looked after the railway from Shirebrook to High Marnham and to the sidings near Clipstone. Mansfield itself came under the Midlands area.

I was made assistant to the timekeeper helping him in the office and was also taken out on trips with the Permanent Way Engineer on site inspections and along the railways tracks which was interesting

I worked Monday to Friday 7.30 till 4pm

In 1983 there were not the amount of benefits there are are now but there was also the urge to want to work

There was no minimum wage either

Precisely! At least you got work experience and something to put on your CV. Also, prospective employers could see that you were willing to work. That's got to be worth more than a fiver a week and is certainly worth more than doing absolutely nothing with your life and sponging off the taxpayer! But that's the difference between people who want to work and people who don't.

The benefits system makes it too easy for people not to work.
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby BigAl » Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:48 am

It really dose not make that much of a difference when you get to our age though.
I have worked all my life, pit, military, driving etc etc. Never been unemployed and claimed the benefit because i always found work. Might not have been what i wanted but it was there so i took it, couldn't afford not to.

Can you see that happening nowadays, :lol:
Screw the padded room, give me a trampoline floor with bubble wrapped walls and a velcro ceiling.
BigAl
Lifetime Registered User

Location: Where the road takes me now i have stopped fighting my inner feelings, we are on the same side now,

Postby Caz » Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:19 pm

Yes, me too Al.

I've had some stop gap jobs in my time and some that I wouldn't have considered, yet ended up liking. I'd have never taken the job I'm doing now if the agency I was with hadn't sent me there for a week. The company asked me to stay on and I liked it, so I did and I've been there nearly three years. :)
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby Little Ol' Me » Thu Dec 10, 2015 4:55 pm

"Don't eat the jelly! Don't eat the jelly! I made it with frog wee. It'll turn your teeth green... Like mini apples."
Little Ol' Me
Lite Registered User

Postby Caz » Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:48 pm

Same old, same old, so there's no point commenting really. They just keep going over the same thing. These things happen in other workplaces but Sports Direct bears the brunt because it's a big concern. I really wouldn't blame them if they closed down and took all their business overseas.
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby Wizard » Fri Dec 11, 2015 4:39 pm

Little Ol' Me wrote:No-one rushing to the defence of "The Empire" this time then?

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2015/dec/09/sports-direct-staff-shirebrook-strikes-policy-sick-leave

Nothing to defend really is there?

As Caz says, same old same old.

What I would suggest before you try to start a silly debate, is that you read the silly "story" in full.

I can't be bothered to go over it all again, but I have copied and pasted excerpts from the item.

One local primary school headteacher said: “Yesterday one of our students was poorly, but they had come into school. The mum works at Sports Direct but had to go to work as she is on a zero hours contract and can’t get any more work. We wanted to give the child medicine, but we couldn’t get hold of the mum to get consent. These are the sorts of things that happen quite frequently. God forbid that a child had a serious accident, because we wouldn’t be able to get hold of the parents. We would have to call the police to go into the warehouse.”
Now any decent parent would make alternative arrangements for their childs welfare for when the parent is at work. Is that Sports Directs fault because the parent failed to carry out a basic duty of care for their own child???? Not really is it !!

Other Sports Direct workers speak of suffering from depression after being abruptly sacked by the employment agencies used by the retailer, while Rev Keith Hebden, co-chair of Maun Valley Citizens, a local alliance of schools and faith groups, said: “The schools, churches, and other groups we work with in our alliance constantly talk of the problem of insecure and badly paid jobs in Mansfield with teenagers in my own church worried for the future of employment and parents at the gates talking about the hellish working conditions at Sports Direct. [Sports Direct founder] Mike Ashley needs to live up to the promises he made before he set up his sweatshop here and provide good jobs with living wages. God knows he can afford it.”
It CLEARLY STATES that people are being sacked by the Agencies, NOT by Sports Direct, so why blame Mike Ashley??

Fr Jonathan Cotton, parish priest at St Joseph’s in Shirebrook, added: “I know local people who are quite satisfied with their contract with Sports Direct and have been employed there for a number of years. And there are others, usually on a zero-hours basis, who are not always satisfied with the unpredictability of employment and the anxiety that this can cause, with bills to pay and mouths to feed, and the consequent health issues that this anxiety can cause.”

As stated above, some are happy to work there, others aren't, but people only pick up on those that aren't.
To be quite honest, I wouldn't have anyone working for my company who didn't want to be there, as they spread nothing but gloom throughout the work force.

This story is old hat, so I can't be bothered to keep on trying to expain to people how successful businesses operate.

The moral of the story is simple.
If you want to work at Sports Direct, ALWAYS make contingency plans for your childrens welfare BEFORE you tick all the boxes on the application form when applying for the job WITH THE AGENCY (Not Sports Direct).
Wizard
Super Registered User

Postby Caz » Fri Dec 11, 2015 6:33 pm

I was watching a programme the other night called 'Does work pay?' and they were dishing the same dirt on a lot of other big companies and for once Sports Direct wasn't mentioned. As I've said before, the things they complain about with Sports Direct happens where I work but I'm quite happy with it.

We have an Eastern European girl working with us who leaves her two very young daughters on their own while she's at work and she thinks it's perfectly acceptable because that's the way it's done in her home country. In actual fact she's not breaking the law here either as there's no law in England that states what age a child has to be before being left alone.
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby Westmorland » Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:04 pm

I have read all the articles about Sports Direct and seen on BBC East Midlands the Scrooge Carol singing event, however despite all this, if Sports Direct were to put 100 warehouse vacancies for their Shirebrook Distribution Depot on the jobs market tomorrow then all 100 would be filled before Friday

Despite all the publicity people are still queuing up to get jobs there

One insider in HR told me that when they don't offer jobs to people in the warehouse they receive very abusive emails from the applicant

The problem with the area we now live in, is that its gone from being a mainly manufacturing/Production area with the pits, hosiery mills, Metal Box Shoe Co, Mansfield Brewery etc all closing down and jobs have been replaced with those in the service and distribution area such as Prolog DHL/B and Q and Sports Direct to name but a few.
Westmorland
Lifetime Registered User

Postby Caz » Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:52 pm

Yes, I agree with all of that Westy!

Unfortunately the press pick on Sports Direct just because they're successful and a lot of those complaining don't even work there but considering how many people do work there, the press are bound to find someone with a gripe. The majority are concerned that the bad publicity could put them out of work. In my book, we should be supporting British businesses, not knocking them down and pushing them elsewhere.
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby Westmorland » Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:37 pm

http://www.chad.co.uk/news/local/labour ... -1-7623325

I can not see why Labour can be saying this, as they clearly weren't prepared to do anything when they were in power
Westmorland
Lifetime Registered User

Postby Caz » Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:55 pm

The tragedy is that the press have picked on a successful 'British' business and turned it into a bad advert for British businesses. As for not wanting to see the culture repeated elsewhere, it is repeated everywhere! These MP's need to climb out of their ivory towers and get a real life, like the people they are supposed to represent. And they actually get paid for knocking the economy???? Doh!
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

PreviousNext

Return to General Chatter