Warsop Web Community Forum

Warsop Web Homepage | Contact Us

RSS Feed

Ambulance call outs to Sports Direct

Discuss anything which is not specific to the Warsop area. Participate in all topics and have a good old chit-chat with other members of the the community.
Forum rules
Please READ: Forum Rules & Regulations

Ambulance call outs to Sports Direct

Postby Westmorland » Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:48 am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-34178412

Ambulances were called to the headquarters of one of Europe's largest sports retailers more than 80 times in two years, a BBC investigation found.
Many of the calls, for workers at Sports Direct's complex at Shirebrook, in Derbyshire, were for "life-threatening" illnesses.
Westmorland
Lifetime Registered User

Re: Ambulance call outs to Sports Direct

Postby Caz » Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:20 pm

Looks like someone else is out to get Sports Direct. Not surprising really as it's one of the biggest retailers in the world and as Brits, we're always out to knock the successful ones. :roll:
Mrs Warsop Web, Warsop born and bred!
http://www.warsopweb.co.uk
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby Westmorland » Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:27 pm

I think everyone welcomes the company's success, but evidence is showing that many workers are not being treating in the way that they should be

As one Health and Safety expert said on the programme this evening, 76 ambulances being called out to major health incidents over two years is what one would expect to see in a third world country

I believe the Health and Safety Executive are now investigating these incidents and we await their report
Westmorland
Lifetime Registered User

Postby Wizard » Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:42 am

I still admire Mike Ashley for the way he has made his billions of pounds.

When you have a workforce of thousands of people in the warehouse, and a footfall of thousands of customers in the shop, plus the workers who are extending the premises at the moment, it it inevitable that there will be ambulances called out to the place.
It is massive.

Why everyone is eager to knock Sports Direct baffles me.

The company has found work for all these thousands of people, and some people still aren't happy.

What do you want them to do, close the place and relocate abroad?
Wizard
Super Registered User

Postby Caz » Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:01 pm

I absolutely agree with every word you said there Wizard and couldn't have put it better!

These programmes they do about Sports Direct are all very biased. It wouldn't do for them to say something nice about a company they're knocking. My son and other members of my family work there and they're more than happy with the place. OK, they don't work in the warehouse but then they didn't choose to, but some people chose to work there and they must be happy otherwise they'd go elsewhere to work. The people who complain about it are mainly people who don't work there at all, OK, there are a few who do but you get people complaining in all work places. What's new?

I understand that a few of the ambulance call outs were to road accidents in that area and many of the calls were not major health incidents. Whatever, as Wizard says, with so many people employed there and so many people shopping there, what can we expect? At least they cared enough to actually call for medical help. I can tell you that a lot of small companies have far worse working conditions than Sports Direct do, but of course the media are not interested in them because it's not as sensational. They did similar TV programmes about Amazon not long ago, which isn't surprising as they're also one of the largest companies.

I really wouldn't blame Mike Ashley if he upped sticks and set up in another country because he's totally disrespected by the British press. That would leave a lot of people out of work and would be a great loss of revenue for this country, in taxes that the employees pay and in exports. Do we want industry in this country or not? Are people prepared to work for their pay or not?
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby BigAl » Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:36 am

In answer to your last question Cas, that will become obvious next year :D :D
Screw the padded room, give me a trampoline floor with bubble wrapped walls and a velcro ceiling.
BigAl
Lifetime Registered User

Location: Where the road takes me now i have stopped fighting my inner feelings, we are on the same side now,

Postby Westmorland » Thu Oct 08, 2015 4:33 pm

Westmorland
Lifetime Registered User

Postby Wizard » Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:23 pm

The last sentence in the Chads link to this story states " It should be pointed out that Sports Direct are not accused of any wrongdoing with its links to this case"

So, why are we allowing these criminal gangs to come into our country and make peoples lives a misery by turning them into slaves?
It's not British nationals who are bringing these people in to be slaves, it is people from their own countries who are doing that!

I guess these are some of those people who have been complaining about the working conditions at Sports Direct.
Wizard
Super Registered User

Postby Caz » Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:40 pm

You're probably right Wizard. Maybe the slaves are some of those complaining because I can't imagine why else anyone would complain so much, yet still work there if it was so bad. Although I do know that a lot of complaints come from people who have never even worked at Sports Direct.

If British people took these jobs, there would be no jobs for immigrants and no reason for them to come here, let alone ship slaves from their own country to take the jobs.

Clearly there are plenty of jobs in this country, but not the kind of jobs some people would like. Well, tough! Better to be in work and earning money like decent people do, than to be on benefits at the taxpayers expense.
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby focus » Fri Oct 09, 2015 4:47 am

go to the bbc i player find a programme put in inside out east midlands click on investigating sports direct. you can watch the programme your selfs. i can tell you know it is worth a look and i live it there for now
focus
Lifetime Registered User

Postby Magic » Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:37 am

Caz wrote:If British people took these jobs, there would be no jobs for immigrants and no reason for them to come here, let alone ship slaves from their own country to take the jobs.

Clearly there are plenty of jobs in this country, but not the kind of jobs some people would like. Well, tough! Better to be in work and earning money like decent people do, than to be on benefits at the taxpayers expense.

Mmm, I was on no deal (sic) at the job centre (*) when the warehouse was opened. My advisor had a list of people eager to work there. TBH not sure what happened to that one :lol:
Life can take you in unexpected directions sometimes.

Don't have much knowledge of the company really so don't have much to say.

-
(*) It's surprising how hard it is to get a job when you have no innate sales skills...having a degree can be a problem too! :roll:
Non-Live Local Weather Data, Click Here, wind speed not correct yet.
---
Don't turn your back on the cat - it'll be under the floorboards like a rat up a drain pipe.
Magic
Support & Developer Team Member

Postby Westmorland » Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:54 pm

Sports Direct like many local distribution centre are always looking for staff

Distribution Centres tend to have a high staff turn over , some pay decent wages and some only pay minimum wag but alot tend to just use agency staff

Other local distribution centres include Wilkinsons, DHL/Band Q and Prolog
Westmorland
Lifetime Registered User

Postby Westmorland » Fri Oct 09, 2015 4:07 pm

what I find Magic is to use this companies as stepping stones, the majority of good companies with decent career progression steps and benefits can often be found in the major cities like Nottingham and Sheffield and even in Chesterfield

Mansfield sadly does not have many good large companies offering excellent salaries and career structure and alot are minimum wage and long hours, at one time Mansfield had many large companies The Brewery, Hosiery Mills, Metal Box, British Coal, Shoe Co, Whitleys, Landers bread, Co-op Dairy but no one seems to want to invest in the town anymore

Large companies have good training and certain standards unlike the smaller companies around here
Westmorland
Lifetime Registered User

Postby Caz » Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:34 pm

Magic wrote:
Caz wrote:If British people took these jobs, there would be no jobs for immigrants and no reason for them to come here, let alone ship slaves from their own country to take the jobs.

Mmm, I was on no deal (sic) at the job centre (*) when the warehouse was opened. My advisor had a list of people eager to work there. TBH not sure what happened to that one :lol:
Life can take you in unexpected directions sometimes.

Don't have much knowledge of the company really so don't have much to say.
-
(*) It's surprising how hard it is to get a job when you have no innate sales skills...having a degree can be a problem too! :roll:

Having a degree can be a problem Magic, especially if you're looking for a career to match the qualification and I do sympathise with anyone in that situation. However, the issues at Sports Direct are not the same situation. The jobs we're talking about here are unskilled jobs, mainly warehouse based and mostly people who are not qualified or experienced.

Sports Direct do employ a lot of people in skilled jobs but they're never interviewed in these programmes because they're too happy with their jobs. The journalists for these 'put down' programmes are just not interested in the happy employees, with good working conditions, job prospects, quality training and good salaries because it would show another side to the story and the programme makers want you to believe every biased thing they report..... And of course some people believe everything they hear or read! :roll:
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby Magic » Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:20 am

I've worked some unskilled positions and know what it's like to be viewed as a piece of machinery by a tier of middle management, some people are quite sensitive to that - most of us aren't usually bothered by the odd nutter :lol:
My point, though, is I was never given the option to work while people where shipped in from afar - I'm not suggesting that is the companies fault or responsibility (can think of a few reasonable explanations why it happened the way it did) just that the assumption that positions are being filled by immigration solely because the local workforce is unwilling might not be wholly accurate.

-
Are a lot of the warehouse staff agency or employed directly?
What I've heard while talking sounds like the extreme case rather than the norm but I've not paid much attention to it tbh.
Non-Live Local Weather Data, Click Here, wind speed not correct yet.
---
Don't turn your back on the cat - it'll be under the floorboards like a rat up a drain pipe.
Magic

Next

Return to General Chatter