Warsop Web Community Forum

Warsop Web Homepage | Contact Us

RSS Feed

Driving licence confusion

Discuss anything which is not specific to the Warsop area. Participate in all topics and have a good old chit-chat with other members of the the community.
Forum rules
Please READ: Forum Rules & Regulations

Driving licence confusion

Postby Caz » Sat May 24, 2014 10:31 am

I still have the old pink paper type licence as I never changed over to the new photo ID type and several people have told me that it's illegal. It's not!! I think the confusion has come about due to recent news about the number of illegal licences in use due to people not renewing them, but this refers to the newer photo ID licences, which have to be renewed every ten years. The old pink paper type are valid and legal up to the driver's 70th birthday.

My brother-in-law recently produced his pink paper licence as ID at a bank and was wrongly advised that it was illegal, so he renewed it and now he's stuck with paying £20 every ten years for a new one. :roll:
Mrs Warsop Web, Warsop born and bred!
http://www.warsopweb.co.uk
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Re: Driving licence confusion

Postby BigAl » Sat May 24, 2014 6:35 pm

Some years ago Heidi and me had to renew our licences as the piccies were out of date, yep peeps it has to be done every 10 years :D ( good job i'm a hansom dude ) :lol: :lol: I still had my paper licence as well as my piccy one so i asked them about it. ( somehow the army managed that one ) :D They ( DVLC ) told me that all paper licences were obsolete and that i should destroy it. My motor bike ( A ) was on the paper licence but because of their system i had to re-sit it at my own expense, :cry: This i did and i actually queried this with the police and a solicitor at the time and told that the DVLC were correct. My personal opinion is the DVLC is like the government where the right hand has no idea what the left hand is doing. Now they are starting to do it all online the same as the tax disc so where will that leave people with the " obsolete " paper ones :?: :?:
Sorry Cas :roll: but i can only tell what actually happened to me :D
Screw the padded room, give me a trampoline floor with bubble wrapped walls and a velcro ceiling.
BigAl
Lifetime Registered User

Location: Where the road takes me now i have stopped fighting my inner feelings, we are on the same side now,

Re: Driving licence confusion

Postby Caz » Sat May 24, 2014 8:48 pm

That's OK Al, but as you say, they don't seem to know what they're doing, so it's no wonder people find it confusing.

However, the story goes that the government wanted to make all old pink paper licences obsolete but the AA opposed the idea as it would cost each driver £20 and they insisted that the government subsidise this if they went ahead with their plans. They didn't go ahead. So the legality is that anyone who only has a pink paper licence is perfectly legal until 2033, when they will be obsolete as per European directive. Of course, the government has the power to bring this forward but at this time they have no plans to according to Hansard - 4 Sep 2013 : Column 445W

"Stephen Hammond: Although existing legislation allows us to make the surrender of paper driving licences compulsory there are no current plans to require this. The European directive on driving licences does however require that all driving licences issued or in circulation must be in the form of photocard by 19 January 2033."

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm201314/cmhansrd/cm130904/text/130904w0003.htm#130904w0003.htm_wqn26

The biggest problem the DVLC face now is that people are not renewing their photo ID licences and are driving around illegally and another issue that is causing confusion:- From 2015 there will no longer be a paper counterpart issued with photo ID licences.

Yes, confusing but I have looked into this in great depth.
Mrs Warsop Web, Warsop born and bred!
http://www.warsopweb.co.uk
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Return to General Chatter