Warsop Web Community Forum

Warsop Web Homepage | Contact Us

RSS Feed

Police Bill

Discuss anything which is not specific to the Warsop area. Participate in all topics and have a good old chit-chat with other members of the the community.
Forum rules
Please READ: Forum Rules & Regulations

Police Bill

Postby Tomas Drouty » Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:48 pm

We have never ever been charged for policing at Warsop Carnival .. nor have we been told that we will be charged for future provision.

However, please see the following which was circulated to me by email and sign the petition if you feel strongly about it.

Many thanks!

Small festivals and community run arts and music events are under threat from the association of chief police officers (ACPO) and we need your help!!

Around the country police forces are beginning to implement the ACPO guidance on charging events, in practice this means that any event, even community run and charity events, with a few stewards, some stalls and a music license are now liable to be slapped with a HUGE bill for the policing costs. This is threatening the future of a large number of the small festivals we all know and love, these events are often run by volunteers on shoestring budgets and they simply can't afford it.

We urge the government to defend the future of these events and stop these unfair charges.

Please sign the petition online at

http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/communityevents/

Campaign to stop police charging community events
Under recent guidance from the Association of Chief Police Officers (ACPO) local police forces have been charging community arts and music events for the cost of policing.
Tomas Drouty
Moderator Team Leader
Moderator Team Leader

Re: Police Bill

Postby Caz » Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:18 pm

I've signed up. There are currently 2,253 signatories on the list.

I agree entirely with TD. We have never paid for policing the carnival and the police have never suggested they might charge us in future, but if it becomes common practise, they may just have to slap on us a large bill that would put paid to the carnival altogether. There's no way we could afford to pay for policing as we already struggle to make ends meet and we spend all year fundraising. Balancing the books really is a nightmare, especially as MDC have cut our budget over the past two years.

I think it's a ridiculous thing to do because we already pay for policing out of our taxes. I personally have never had cause to call out the police for myself and have never been in trouble with the police, so I don't personally cost them much. All I want from them is to keep the community happy and that includes making sure we're safe at community events.

I can see this causing more problems than it solves because events will either stop altogether and kill community spirit, or they'll go ahead without police presence, which is just asking for trouble and could cost the police more in the long run. I also think that the involvment of local police in community events helps raise their profile and keeps them in touch with their community and I think Beat Officers would share that view.
Mrs Warsop Web, Warsop born and bred!
http://www.warsopweb.co.uk
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby Tania » Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:19 pm

Ditto!
I've signed it.
Tania
Lifetime Registered User

Postby Caz » Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:30 pm

I've moved this topic to General Chatter, so that it's more visible.
Mrs Warsop Web, Warsop born and bred!
http://www.warsopweb.co.uk
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby 999Aidie » Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:01 pm

Job Done, the FoSF have recorded their objection along with all the others.

If this is not halted, every small event is going to be jeopardized throughout the Country from a Church Hall bring and buy sale upwards.
Return with your Shield or on it. ------ Old Zulu war cry.
999Aidie
Lite Registered User

Postby Heidi » Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:05 pm

Why are we paying for the police through council tax if they are going to charge for their services.
Is it not paying twice for the same thing.
many know my smile, but dont know what I feel...........
many hear what I say, but dont know what I think.....
many see what I write, but dont know the meaning behind it..
many say they know me, but only know what I look like....
Heidi
Lifetime Registered User

Postby Andrew Daykin » Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:26 pm

Done
I'm no expert, so please correct me if I'm wrong.
Andrew Daykin
Super Registered User

Postby m8tey » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:25 pm

I have signed........
TRY IT YOU MIGHT LIKE IT
m8tey
Lifetime Registered User

Postby moanersRus » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:50 pm

i've typed (how can ya sign you idiots lmao)
Of all the things i've lost, i miss my mind the most
moanersRus
Lifetime Registered User

Postby Cat75 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:55 pm

i have typed too lol
Cat75
Lifetime Registered User

Postby 999Aidie » Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:51 am

moanersRus wrote:i've typed (how can ya sign you idiots lmao)

Hi Moaner,

Sorry to be a bit of a wet blanket but Idiocy was officially removed from the Statute books in 1949 by the Labour Government. You can no longer be classified as an Idiot by the State.

Baskets, >>> out too went Imbeciles and feebleminded classifications.
Return with your Shield or on it. ------ Old Zulu war cry.
999Aidie
Lite Registered User

Postby hitmanandher » Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:53 am

so let me get this right we are gonna have to pay for policing at the carnival? is this the police force that forgot to turn up the other year as warsop carnival was not important enough for those in charge to remember about? :roll: is this the police force that failed to implement the new outside drinking law this year which led to the trouble? :roll: if this is the case i say why bother it would be better spent on a private security firm for the weekend. jim henson had it right when he created THE MUPPETS. :evil:
hitmanandher
Lite Registered User

Postby BigAl » Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:34 pm

I for one certainly trust the muppets over the police :D
Screw the padded room, give me a trampoline floor with bubble wrapped walls and a velcro ceiling.
BigAl
Lifetime Registered User

Location: Where the road takes me now i have stopped fighting my inner feelings, we are on the same side now,

Postby john » Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:52 pm

Done it.
john
Super Registered User

Postby john » Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:00 pm

raise their profile and keeps them in touch with their community and I think Beat Officers would share that view. This morning I was going down Burns Lane and put up my hand in a friendly manner just to say hi, and was totaly blanked, next time it might be one finger instead. I didnt know they were so high above us that I needed a rocket ship to reach them. If I am wrong proove it and I will stand corrected. [-X Iknow this is a little off topic but just a little hello dont cost much. sorry Caz rant over smack my wrist.
Last edited by john on Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
john
Super Registered User

Next

Return to General Chatter